Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't gen same world  (Read 2525 times)

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't gen same world
« on: April 11, 2009, 06:21:18 am »

So, I've been trying to gen both of the worlds from this topic but I always end up with a world that is different from the ones shown there. I looked over all of the advanced parameter and made them exactly the smae, but I still get a different world... Anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

Thx in advance,
Eviltyphoon
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't gen same world
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 06:36:55 am »

So, I've been trying to gen both of the worlds from this topic but I always end up with a world that is different from the ones shown there. I looked over all of the advanced parameter and made them exactly the smae, but I still get a different world... Anyone have any ideas what could cause this?
You're using different DF version.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 06:43:57 am »

Well, the first one doesn't mention version, but the second one does, and I have that version...
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 07:41:20 am »

1. Have you modified your RAWs in any way?

2. Are you using the same seeds as are specified in the threads? It isn't enough just to have the same perams, you also need the same seed.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 07:56:43 am »

1. Have you modified your RAWs in any way?

Nope

2. Are you using the same seeds as are specified in the threads? It isn't enough just to have the same perams, you also need the same seed.

Yes.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 09:37:04 am »

I'm out of ideas then. Typically speaking, a world will gen differently if the raws have been modified in any way, due to modding (either by you or you installing someone else's changes). I can't think of anything else it might be. I'm assuming you are literally just copying the world gen parameters into your world_gen.txt file, right?

Have you tried creating a new folder with a totally clean install of DF?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 09:57:15 am »

Different compys do different things with the same seed, due to having different operating systems.  you need to get a completely clean, straight up save file off of them to use that world.
You can't gen it.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 10:08:30 am »

Different compys do different things with the same seed, due to having different operating systems.  you need to get a completely clean, straight up save file off of them to use that world.
You can't gen it.

I can gen worlds from the parameters perfectly fine, so this is bull.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 10:13:42 am »

I'm assuming you are literally just copying the world gen parameters into your world_gen.txt file, right?

Can you do that O.o? Oh god, I feel so stupid now. I always set the parameters by hand...

Have you tried creating a new folder with a totally clean install of DF?

Yup.

Would you be so kind to gen the world for me then?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 10:29:20 am »

No problems:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=960

World 2 from the thread. put it in the data/save folder. Make sure to delete whatever region1 is currently there (don't copy over the top)

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 10:32:16 am »

No problems:

World 2 from the thread. put it in the data/save folder. Make sure to delete whatever region1 is currently there (don't copy over the top)

Thanks for that. I don't wnat to be anoying or something, but could you do the first one too?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 10:34:12 am »

No problems:

Thanks for that. I don't wnat to be anoying or something, but could you do the first one too?

haha, patience =)

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 10:36:21 am »

Yay, then I'll finally be able to make my awesome plan come true!!

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 10:56:25 am »

sadly, something is wrong with the first worldgen. Probably the seed provided is incorrect, as the world I genned had the same name etc, but not the same features.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 11:02:20 am »

sadly, something is wrong with the first worldgen. Probably the seed provided is incorrect, as the world I genned had the same name etc, but not the same features.

Too bad. I'll just go and irritate the one who originally genned the world then :P

TYVM for genning that other world!!
Pages: [1] 2