Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I cant seem to figure out what is wrong with my race...  (Read 1446 times)

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
I cant seem to figure out what is wrong with my race...
« on: April 11, 2009, 12:43:40 am »

I am fairly new to making races, and this race I made wont make a Civilization but I can still play as one in adventurer.
Here is the creature files
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the Civ files:
Can someone shed some light on my problem?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I cant seem to figure out what is wrong with my race...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 01:44:39 am »

I am fairly new to making races, and this race I made wont make a Civilization but I can still play as one in adventurer.
Here is the creature files

And the Civ files:
Can someone shed some light on my problem?

your civ is all female and so are not capable of reproduction. Because they can die of old age, they are literally just all dying by the time worldgen is complete. Try either having male succubi, or removing maxage (so they live forever if not killed). If they aren't reproducing however it is likely they will die off in worldgen anyway. You can partially counter this by making their [SIZE] very large during worldgen, and then toning it back to normal afterwards.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 01:51:44 am »

I'm by no means an expert, but your race has [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] at the start of the entity file instead of [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]. Be sure to remove the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag from the dwarves, otherwise the game messes up.

Also, mixing [FEMALE] with the [MAXAGE] tag has the effect that your succubuses can't reproduce and will die eventually (after 120 years, here).

Also, your extra bod parts will mainly get into play when they're lopped off. Eh.

Also, I'd play around with the [ETHIC] and [SYMBOL] tags. Who wants succubuses that cull evil?
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 05:56:56 am »

I'm by no means an expert, but your race has [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE] at the start of the entity file instead of [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]. Be sure to remove the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag from the dwarves, otherwise the game messes up.

Also, mixing [FEMALE] with the [MAXAGE] tag has the effect that your succubuses can't reproduce and will die eventually (after 120 years, here).

Also, your extra bod parts will mainly get into play when they're lopped off. Eh.

Also, I'd play around with the [ETHIC] and [SYMBOL] tags. Who wants succubuses that cull evil?

I don't think he wants them to be controllable, just to gen

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 08:46:45 am »

Yes, they're probably dieing off in world gen. Take a look through Legends for a bit just to make sure they're spawning in the first place.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 09:47:03 am »

Okay, I'll take a look.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 09:50:37 am »

Nothing about them in Legends exept the Adventurer I made that had strangled a black bear to death and then was killed by an alligator.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:54:56 am »

Also: have you actually added those body parts to the body matgloss? And are you getting messages in your error log?

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 10:01:49 am »

No error messages besides a typo in the Goblin's [PERSONALITY] strings and the occaisonal deer error.

And... matgloss? I read the wiki but that didnt help much. Do you have a good explanation as to what I should do to fix my race?
I'm thinking of trashing the [FEMALE] tag for now.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 10:06:31 am »

No error messages besides a typo in the Goblin's [PERSONALITY] strings and the occaisonal deer error.

And... matgloss? I read the wiki but that didnt help much. Do you have a good explanation as to what I should do to fix my race?
I'm thinking of trashing the [FEMALE] tag for now.

my bad, body_default, I mean. you need to add new body parts to body_default. I don't mess with body parts so I can't help you more than that. If you can use them in adventurer mode I guess this isn't the issue, howver.

Remove [FEMALE], regen world, and see if that was the problem. You can play around with making them age VS making them all female. You have to ditch one of those two though.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 10:10:44 am »

Ok.
The Tentacles were in the body_default already so I dont think that is the problem.

I guess that pesky [FEMALE] tag is doing my race in.
I'll remove it and regen world and see if that works.

EDIT OF ALL EDITS: It WAS that pesky [FEMALE] tag, because they just genned very beutifully.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:16:51 am by Tradanbattlan »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 11:30:45 am »

By the way, male Succubi are generally called Incubi. Cows have a tag that renames male cows into bulls, can't remember what it was but you should be able to use a similar thing here.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 11:53:10 am »

Actually I believe Toady mentioned way back in one of the old devlogs that the game just forces civs that can't reproduce and aren't immortal to just not gen.  That could explain why they didn't show up in legends before.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 01:40:28 pm »

By the way, male Succubi are generally called Incubi. Cows have a tag that renames male cows into bulls, can't remember what it was but you should be able to use a similar thing here.
Huh. Might have to look for that
Actually I believe Toady mentioned way back in one of the old devlogs that the game just forces civs that can't reproduce and aren't immortal to just not gen.  That could explain why they didn't show up in legends before.
Ah. Ok. Thanks for telling me.  :D

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 01:29:53 am »

The tag is [SPECNAME:MALE:bull:bulls:bull].

This is actually not true, people are just too lazy to realize that if you change the civilization that you are embarking from by hitting tab when choosing a site until you see the list and then change it, you can actually choose which civ you are on embark.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2