Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not a bug - it's Atom Smasher MKII  (Read 2079 times)

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not a bug - it's Atom Smasher MKII
« on: April 10, 2009, 07:46:22 pm »

Hi there! My first post.

So, is this new? Floors immediately collapsing when built off bridges isn't a bug. Instead, put a dump below the edge of your bridge, and now you've got a new, more complicated atom smasher.

The trash compactor has the advantage that you can install it belatedly, while the atom smasher requires you to clear the area first.

Works best on a one-tile dump, as the dust cloud will blow things around otherwise. Although I suppose you could use it to torture gobbos in a pit, too.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not a bug - it's Atom Smasher MKII
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:49:23 pm »

Brilliant. I suppose the constructing dwarf won't get too badly mauled if it's just a one floor drop...
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 07:51:02 pm »

Yeah, I found that out the hard way (It involved children, magma, levers, and burning Dwarves). It works with floor hatches, floor grates, and (I think) horizontal bars.

Oh, this will also probably cause the dust to knock the dorf in after building the floor. That's how I found out the hard way, of course.

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:52:54 pm »

In my experience falling constructions don't atom smash the things they fall on, am I correct or am I simply misremembering?
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:19:06 pm »

It's also an excellent mayoral execution method if you make the bridge high enough.

Won't work for nobles who can't do labor, sadly.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 11:06:32 pm »

Hi there! My first post.

So, is this new? Floors immediately collapsing when built off bridges isn't a bug. Instead, put a dump below the edge of your bridge, and now you've got a new, more complicated atom smasher.

The trash compactor has the advantage that you can install it belatedly, while the atom smasher requires you to clear the area first.

Works best on a one-tile dump, as the dust cloud will blow things around otherwise. Although I suppose you could use it to torture gobbos in a pit, too.
Dude, that is called, Floor Bombing/Floor Bombs, not a Crapper Smasherz 2.

Besides, that technique is for torturing, and for offensive bombing, just build, then bomb.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 02:38:06 am »

When I do it, the dwarf builds from the bridge and doesn't appear to be in any danger from the cave in. Or at least, I found out the not-hard way when none of the floor collapses produced injuries. Now I'm going to have to try it again. A titan just appeared, so it may take a while.

It does indeed destroy things - I expended a couple sandstone to annihilate a pair of anvils I took a dislike to. Sure, I could have melted them, but...

I think it will work just fine for nobles that can't work. Just set up a bridge one high and one over from their bed, wait for them to sleep and drop a floor on them...it will destroy the bed, it would be pretty funny if the noble didn't die.

"By Armoks' Beard! What was that awful racket!? Some people are trying to sleep! ...Where is my bed?"

You could do this with a regular atom smasher by building the bridge and then putting their bed under it. Drowning chambers use proper dwarfenly complication, but just having a 'mysterious' extra wall in every noble's room harkens back to the legendary Urist. I would've thought that kind of thing was bog standard, actually.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 02:42:37 am »

I use it to dispose of dwarfs if I want a hermit. So much fun over a chasm.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 03:31:03 am »

I had retractable bridges above a 4z level pit. I wanted to connect the bridges with floor, but I didn't know that it wouldn't "stick" to the bridges. So four Urist McMasons build four floors.. Cave in. Cave in. Cave in. Cave in.

"Urist McMason has died after colliding with an obstacle!"

And the three others got away with a few broken and mangled limbs.

Yeah, kinda learned that the hard way. But that's what dwarves are for, right?

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 05:46:15 am »

Yes, high towers are excellent suicide devices, despite the fact that the dwarf doesn't necessarily fall off. Apparently the falling floor can tell how far it is to the bottom.

Very short towers just blow them around a bit, so they're completely fine if they don't fall off. Put a wide bridge on your waste disposal unit.

More extensive testing to follow. I want to see if it's possible to reaffirm locality...

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 07:56:59 pm »

The collapsing floor creates blowback on every z-level it passes through. If you have a wide bridge, it will help insulate the mason from the wind - fast masons can even outrun it. Ideally, surround the hopper entirely with bridge.

Also, a wide bridge will stop them from falling if they do get caught. I figured out what killed my one guy - he fell down the stairs. I suspect a hatch will fix that, too, though it needs to have actual support, not fake bridge-support. And, if you're only up one level, you don't need to worry about anything.

Yes, falling floors will crush anyone under them. Sadly, this design is slightly inferior to the atom smasher - it cannot attack rock. Everything else, though, sure.

Amusingly, I dropped my whole test apparatus by deconstructing the bottom stair...several levels of bridge dismantled itself, which means the worker survived without a scratch.

So I have a question. Are constructed walls supposed to survive cave-ins when they're the target? As the hammer, they're duly pulverized, but as the anvil they seem unmoved.

Hmm, I wonder what happens if...

Side view. Ramp up to bridge with (^)spot for floor over a (|||)pillar supported cavern, over yet another cavern. Usually cave ins will go through any number of floors and constructions.

Code: [Select]
   ___^
/||______
_____|||_
_________

The constructed wall will act as a natural wall, and halt the cave-in, in case you ever want to do bas-relief. Upward stairs seem to be able to perform the same function, as I suspect will supports.

Further tests showed that upward stairs, supports, and walls are all good as anvils, even if placed over empty space.

Code: [Select]
__ ^
/__||
---  ---

Constructed floors will be pulverized, as will downward stairs, but they can safely support natural floors.

I tried deconstructing the tower with bridge immediately above everywhere you can stand to deconstruct it, and...it shattered my tax collector. He suffocated to death.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 10:36:56 pm »

That's awesome.