Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mayday Graphic Meanings?  (Read 2294 times)

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mayday Graphic Meanings?
« on: April 10, 2009, 06:01:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure I know what everything is while I'm playing the game, but I'm not quite sure what the various graphics are supposed to be when I'm generating a world.  There's cups, ore, dwarf statues, dressers, and some others that I guess represent cities...but whose?

Any ideas on what the various icons mean during world gen would be a great help!

-P.C.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mayday Graphic Meanings?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 06:18:02 pm »

This is why I don't use graphic sets, they mess up world gen with weird symbols.
Just set it back to normal graphics and it should be fine, don't bother trying to decode it.

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 06:19:14 pm »

Yeah, that's not gonna work cause I can't play the game with the normal ASCII graphics.

-P.C.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 06:22:30 pm »

Well, after embarking just set it back to your tileset.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 06:25:12 pm »

i don't use mayday's, but you can figure out what is what by opening the tileset font file (data->art->maydayfontwhatever.bmp) and comparing it to this list: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Tileset#What_tiles_are_used_for_what

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 06:28:09 pm »

Yeah, that's not gonna work cause I can't play the game with the normal ASCII graphics.

-P.C.
I'm sure you are perfectly capable of playing it with ascii.  I seem to be able to do it.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 06:45:43 pm »

After the world is generated, you can scroll around it before accepting it.

Put the cursor over the tile and it will say "elvish forest retreat" or "dark goblin fortress" or something to tell you what it is.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 07:42:20 pm »

Hurr hurr grafix sets r bad.  ::)

The "drawers" are Dark Goblin Towers, the Goblets are Elven Forest Retreats, the homes, ores, and gems are typically Human Towns. The statues are, of course, Dwarven Mountain halls.

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 07:54:05 pm »

Thanks!  And to the others that gave helpful info!

-P.C.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 03:35:59 am »

It's kinda sketchy at first.. but once you get it all figured out (shouldn't even take that long), it's a lot better than the standard ASCII graphics. Especially all the animal/dwarf replacements help a lot. A child and a camel are actually a child and a camel, and not a C and a C.  ;D

But each to their own, I guess. The ASCII graphics makes the game pretty much unplayable to me. I don't care much for fancy graphics, but I sure like to identify my game objects properly.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:30:53 am by IceShade »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 09:35:12 am »

This is why I don't use graphic sets, they mess up world gen with weird symbols.

Yep, this is one of the reasons, why I am waiting for the gfx/txt separation.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 09:35:42 am »

It's kinda sketchy at first.. but ones you get it all figured out (shouldn't even take that long), it's a lot better than the standard ASCII graphics. Especially all the animal/dwarf replacements help a lot. A child and a camel are actually a child and a camel, and not a C and a C.  ;D

But each to their own, I guess. The ASCII graphics makes the game pretty much unplayable to me. I don't care much for fancy graphics, but I sure like to identify my game objects properly.

Yeah. I honestly don't know how the previous poster thinks that making the tiles even more vague and uninformative would help anything. Yeah, some things don't perfectly represent what they're supposed to be in a tileset, and when that happens they're just arbitrary symbols - exactly as arbitrary as your beloved friggin ascii.  ::)

If he was using no tileset the OP would still be here asking the exact same question because they'd STILL be a 'goblet' 'dresser' and 'statue', they'd just be the ascii version instead.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 10:05:31 am »

People, These snappy comments about Graphics and Ascii are an easy way to incur the wrath of the...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't turn this into another Graphics Vs Ascii rage thread... we don't need it.
The OP has had his question answered.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 10:33:56 am »

Yep, this is one of the reasons, why I am waiting for the gfx/txt separation.

I'm sure Toady has it planned. He probably has everything planned you could come up with! For he is the Toady.

qwert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 11:52:48 am »

There is actually a really easy solution: set a standard ascii tileset for windowed mode, and keep the Mayday tileset for fullscreen. Then, when you generate a world, or need the full ascii for whatever reason, hit F11.
Pages: [1] 2