Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven runes tileset - a serious joke from Tigrex  (Read 6159 times)

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven runes tileset - a serious joke from Tigrex
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:45:35 am »

Hi, all.

I've been toying around with my tileset a bit, and I came up with something that I hope will briefly entertain you.

I've had a long infatuation with Norse runes, off which Tolkien based the Dwarven language in the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings.  I tend to use them for shorthand notes, if only to convince people next to me that I'm loco.

I can't help but think that if dwarves played dwarf fortress, they would want runes to show up on their +obsidian monitor+ and be carved into their =goblin bone keyboard=.  As such, I have modified my tileset to provide a dwarven perspective to DF.  Carved into your screen, this set will give your forts an archiac touch.

Now, understand:  this is unfortunately not going to be easy to read, unless you've fnurled around with them long enough.  So prolonged play with these will probably only strain your eyes and patience, but at least they menace with spikes of awesome.

The purpose of this set, then, is in part a belated April Fool's joke.  Play with it for 5 minutes, take some screenshots, and forget about it.  But more importantly, this has the unique ability to make DF look even more complicated.  So show it to your non-DF friends, and tell them you know exactly what's going on on the screen, and they will assume you have an IQ of 180.

So here's the PNG with the data:

And here are some screenshots.  Note I haven't changed the numbers, because even I know it will result in me going blind.   

Title screen.

Artifact description.

Viewing dwarf stats.  Incidentally, that's my luxury lava tower.

So, any comments, suggestions, etc, let me know.  I'm thinking of changing everything so that the form is dwarf rune, but the letters resemble english as much as possible.  What say you?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven runes tileset - a serious joke from Tigrex
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 12:17:43 pm »

I only ever used the basic 800x600 curses myself so I'm not the best judge of something like this.

That said I think this is awesome.  My friends already have no idea whats happening when I'm playing DF.  This would puzzle them even more.  Nice work.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:33:51 pm »

This is perfect. Now make runes for numbers, brackets, quote marks, the two odd letters you've missed, and have the runes replacing capital letters be slightly bolder.

I recall using runes as a form of "secret language" some time ago. They're easy to memorize after half an hour of looking at familiar text, so no need to make them too much like english letters.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 01:23:35 pm »

This is a totally awesome tileset, though i can't say I'll probably ever use it.

I also used the runes from the hobbit as a secret language when I was much younger, though no one I knew was the slightest bit interested in them, so I mostly just used them for sending secret messages to myself.

Does anyone have a link to a good online resource for these runes?
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 01:42:14 pm »

This is really great job!

I do not get why do you use some graphics. It would be much better when tiles with pictures are replaced with original letters in some rune font.

(hm ... why do I feel like I have written these sentences poorly?)
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 03:29:13 pm »

We should make a form of writing for each major race. I've got an alphabet lying around I memorized, but I don't have it digitally.
Still, this is absolutely awesome. Imagine being able to read Boatmurdered in this.

And implement this as a forum font...
TO THE SUGGESTIONS FORUM!
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 03:38:02 pm »

Well, having tile-sub-sets for only text would solve a great many problems. Having different tile-sub-sets for different races would be a very welcome bonus as well.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 08:41:06 pm »

I must say.. it looks bloody awesome (i particularly like the walls :P) i'm considering working out how to use this on a long term basis :P

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 10:28:46 pm »

wow so cool! I too am almost considering just learning the language so I can be even MORE dwarfy!  :D

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 10:45:54 pm »

Using a tileset like this becomes a challenge in and of itself.

Can you remember what is what?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 09:38:14 am »

Moreover, start to convert normal words to df language using these runes. This is where the fun starts.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 03:34:09 pm »

Wow, this will make DF look even more like the matrix. My only nitpick is the numbers and the few other letters you missed.

I'm definitely using this. I'm going to use a familiar fortress with it to start with, in the hopes of learning it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:43:08 pm by Martian »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 04:49:38 pm »

I wonder why you didn't use Medieval Runes...  They seem like a good set. Less dwarven maybe, but somewhat more fitting given the existing timeframe...

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 04:43:14 am »

I'll work on a version with numeric support, then.  Which letters did I miss, out of curiousity?  Capital O is needed for pillars, capital X has many uses and I'm still trying to find a happy medium for it.  As for the dwarven accented letters, they default to the pics such as levers, but I think there is a mod for the dwarf language file available.  Either way, I'm not sure whether I should replace the pics with runes...

And should anyone want the tiles without the runes, they're available on the Wiki.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 05:19:17 am »

I meant the "n" and "N" with the "~" on top of them. Now, I'm not entirely sure they're even used in any words, but I'm fairly sure they're not used for any creatures or items, so why not switch them too?

For numbers, use the the Devanagari numerals. They may be hell to reproduce for the smaller fonts, but look vaguely similar to medieval runes.

Pages: [1] 2