Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Piracy. No, not your Torrents, I mean REAL piracy.  (Read 15543 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Piracy. No, not your Torrents, I mean REAL piracy.
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2009, 08:47:46 am »

4 warnings sent and 1 ban (Fobos -- dodging a mute, "fag", abusive in other posts, etc.).  Please try to respect the wishes of the OP, thanks, especially after repeated urgings!

I agree with Toady One.

It's a shame that Toady must spend his precious time on sending out warnings and bans / moderating the forum.  ::)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2009, 08:49:40 am »

Hm with the watta?
Who got banned?

Anywho I was told to keep it chill and serious in here, so this is what I have to say:
Piracy has and always will be a sticky situaton. Not only when it comes to merchant ships getting raided, but also to Governments trying to spend less money combatting it then they would paying them off.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Although the giant space laser IS a terribly cool idea
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2009, 10:12:13 am »

That's true.  I'm a supporter of military force in this case, but I don't deny a cost/benefit problem with the use of it.  If the pirates were only asking a $20000 ransom, just paying the ransom would cost less than it costs to keep a destroyer shadowing them for several days.  However, they're escalating things.  Apparently yesterday the pirates fired on U.S. sailors attempting to rescue that captain that they're holding hostage.  Can we call this an act of war yet?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/11/somalia.u.s.ship/index.html#cnnSTCText

(Yes, the source is CNN.com, so I know it's not completely unbiased, but I'm taking it as reputable unless I get contradicting information.)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2009, 11:26:10 am »

By the way, I am quite fine with being the bad guy, and wiping Somalia off the face of the earth.  Glassing that area wouldn't waste too much resources, would it?

Also, I'm a sailor. Not on a merchant or commercial vessel, but I'm a sailor. I have also stolen things. Temporarily. On the water. Does this qualify me as a pirate? I think it does.

Yarg.

Shut up Johny. Shut up CowofDoom. Both of you look like your pulling shit out of your ass, and It pisses me off.

Oh, great idea! SPACE LASER. BEST IDEA EVER. AND TOTALLY NEVER BEEN THOUGHT OF BEFORE AND USED IN LIKE EVERY THING THAT HAD TO DO WITH SPACE EVER.
Sorry. What I'm trying to say, is that both Emperor_Jonathan and Cowofdoom78963 are being more than a little inflammatory.  Which made me do this. Entirely unacceptable, on my part.
Especially since I started flaming. With no actual content.

These pirates have been having a hard time. I respect them for their efforts at feeding their families.  But piracy is not what is needed here.  I honestly am not sure what is.  Maybe the U.N. needs to chat with these warlords ruling Somalia.  Get them to talk, make a treaty, and work together to pull Somalia out of poverty.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aye har, matey, hoist th-*BLAM*
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2009, 08:24:59 pm »

Quote from: zchris13
These pirates have been having a hard time. I respect them for their efforts at feeding their families.  But piracy is not what is needed here.  I honestly am not sure what is.  Maybe the U.N. needs to chat with these warlords ruling Somalia.  Get them to talk, make a treaty, and work together to pull Somalia out of poverty.

I don't believe that the warlords care.  In the past, those warlords have hijacked medical supplies and food sent in by the Red Cross and other charitable organizations, and sold the hijacked goods to buy more weapons, even though it meant that their people went hungry.  I don't know that there IS a solution that doesn't involve the same kind of mess that we're currently dealing with in Iraq.  You know, go in with overwhelming military force, depose the warlords, and then wave a magic wand and somehow forge a collection of warring micro-states with irreconcilable ethnic and religious differences into a functional country.  There truly may be no real solution, unfortunately.

On the bright side, the current piracy crisis has ended.  Apparently a group of Navy SEALs mounted a hostage rescue operation on the lifeboat, killing most of the pirates and rescuing the captain.  They've also got one of the pirates captive, but I've heard conflicting reports.  One said that the crew captured him earlier this week by luring him alone into the engine room, at which point an engineer and another worker beat the crap out of him and tied him up.  Another said that the SEALs captured him during the rescue operation.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aye har, matey, hoist th-*BLAM*
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2009, 08:27:59 pm »

On the bright side, the current piracy crisis has ended.  Apparently a group of Navy SEALs mounted a hostage rescue operation on the lifeboat, killing most of the pirates and rescuing the captain.  They've also got one of the pirates captive, but I've heard conflicting reports.  One said that the crew captured him earlier this week by luring him alone into the engine room, at which point an engineer and another worker beat the crap out of him and tied him up.  Another said that the SEALs captured him during the rescue operation.

The article in question:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/12/somalia.pirates/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2009, 08:49:27 pm »

On the bright side, the current piracy crisis has ended.

*cough*, *cough, *cough*
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2009, 08:57:48 pm »

Lots of words.
Yeah, well Im kinda tired today, and dont have much time to awnser all those questions. I'll do it tomorrow though, dont worry!

On the bright side, the current piracy crisis has ended.
Piracy is far from over, its growing by the day. They killed off 3 pirates. If anything this has just enraged them.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pirates armed with AKs and RPGs vow vengeance against largest navy in world
« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2009, 09:01:00 pm »

Well, let me amend that.  I didn't mean that piracy has ended.  I meant that the particular event which caused me to create the topic in the first place has been resolved.  Obviously, we may continue to discuss other acts of piracy in this topic, as I'm keen to learn more about it, and see what the response will be from the Somalis.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2009, 11:28:21 pm »

By the way, I am quite fine with being the bad guy, and wiping Somalia off the face of the earth.  Glassing that area wouldn't waste too much resources, would it?

Also, I'm a sailor. Not on a merchant or commercial vessel, but I'm a sailor. I have also stolen things. Temporarily. On the water. Does this qualify me as a pirate? I think it does.

Yarg.

Shut up Johny. Shut up CowofDoom. Both of you look like your pulling shit out of your ass, and It pisses me off.

Oh, great idea! SPACE LASER. BEST IDEA EVER. AND TOTALLY NEVER BEEN THOUGHT OF BEFORE AND USED IN LIKE EVERY THING THAT HAD TO DO WITH SPACE EVER.
Sorry. What I'm trying to say, is that both Emperor_Jonathan and Cowofdoom78963 are being more than a little inflammatory.  Which made me do this. Entirely unacceptable, on my part.
Especially since I started flaming. With no actual content.

Sorry if I wasn't totally clear on this.  WE HAVE A TALK WITH THE WARLORDS. THEY DO AS WE SAY. GAME OVER FOR PIRACY.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2009, 12:38:48 am »

I don't think the Somali warlords are going to be cool with just talking.  If they were that accomodating, this would've been over already wouldn't it?
Shoes...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2009, 12:42:39 am »

I'm telling you guys; bomb Zimbabwe and the Somalians will do whatever we tell them.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2009, 01:01:40 am »

Cover the horizon with warships. Then hold talks on a beach resort.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2009, 12:22:15 pm »

Looking at an old gazetteer in a vain attempt to find something that Somalia could base its economy around, the only thing that sounded valuable was Frankincense.  There was also salt and a couple food crops, but nothing that sounded valuable.  It will probably end up being like Afghanistan where the US actually paid farmers to return to growing Grapes for eating and fermenting in an attempt to get the world supply of opium poppies down.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2009, 12:26:08 pm »

We could air-drop shock site images and while they're disabled come in with Navy SEALS, dismantle the warlords, and install a friendlier government.

I emailed that idea to George Bush when he was looking for WMDs in Iraq, but he rejected it.  I hope he lies awake at night and thinks about his mistake...
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13