Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Piracy. No, not your Torrents, I mean REAL piracy.  (Read 15535 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Piracy. No, not your Torrents, I mean REAL piracy.
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2009, 11:57:07 pm »

*FLAME FLAME BLAH BLAH BLAH*
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:19:04 am by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2009, 12:06:54 am »

And how dare those companies try to transport goods in order to make a profit.  Money is evil and we should all live on farms.
How is that relevant at all?

What the companys did was wrong, the pirates who captured those ships are the heros here.

As in dumping toxic waste into Somalia. As well as to my recent knowledge, illegally fishing there as well.

Also, I'm a sailor. Not on a merchant or commercial vessel, but I'm a sailor. I have also stolen things. Temporarily. On the water. Does this qualify me as a pirate? I think it does.

Yarg.

Shut up Johny. Shut up CowofDoom. Both of you look like your pulling shit out of your ass, and It pisses me off.
Oh I get it! Good one.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2009, 12:29:22 am »

I'm calling bullshit, pull up some sources for all this. Because frankly, it looks like your pulling all this shit from your arse.
heres some things I've read:
http://blackstarnews.com/?c=135&a=5163
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article418665.ece
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2008/10/2008109174223218644.html
In these three links 2/3 of it was the same stuff.

Sure, I agreed they do dump toxic waste. But why attack Cruise Lines, Yachts and ships carrying food aid? That is hardly going to stop the dumping of toxic waste. Why cannot they only attack ships that dump toxic waste? Where is the proof that they are cleaning up the coastlines? In regards to the other articles, all I've read so far is them spending it on drugs, weapons, cars, women and multi-million houses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy_in_Somalia
impeded the delivery of food aid shipments
This is great.
http://www.mylot.com/w/newsarticle/1667261.aspx
That's fantastic. But what happens when the arms dealers dry up, what happens when the pirates are gone? These people don't have long-term infrastructure that is in any developed country. Hospitals are not mentioned in the article, so I'm going to assume they don't have any. They
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7650415.stm
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-somalia-pirates_salopek1oct10,0,6155016.story
Mostly, they say their attacks are tough payback for the world community's abuse of prostrate Somalia's territory and resources.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
Experts worry that piracy's quick and dirty spurts of cash into Somalia's coastal communities will destroy the local fishing industry once and for all.
See? It says it here, this piracy has a good chance of eliminating the local fishing industry, destroying that long-term potential. The money pirates get in Somalia (100million) isn't being spread across people, it isn't being spent into long term jobs, nor into projects that benefit the whole community. They employ 15,000 people (according to this article), yet there is approx. 10 000 000 people in the country. That's 9 980 000 people not directly benefiting from this piracy, some of them being worse off from it.

Now that's all from Somalia, have you read any articles from other areas where there is a high concentration of piracy?
It's up to the government to prevent this
Their part of the problem, not the solution.
A Government is the solution.

Pirates operating out of countries are preventing these countries to gain a democratic government, to stop this.
At this point I cant help but to say this is ignorant. Even if they did do that it would still take years to set up a working government. What the companys did was wrong, the pirates who captured those ships are the heros here.
[/quote]
A state of anarchy, in any country, only helps a tiny, tiny percentage of the population. As is the case here. The pirates are benefiting immensely, but the rest of the country is not. Sure it's going to take years, but it's better to have a working government in years than not at all!
Oh and by the way Cow, the lawlessness in Somalia and other countries does not make their lives better
Never said it did.
You kind, specifically, directly said that.
and drives Somalia deeper, and deeper into lawlessness.

Thats fine, their lives are better.
Try and not be contradictory to yourself?
Frankly Cow, you have shown ZERO empathy towards annoying victimized by the pirates. Other than the pirates who are gaining from this.
Empathy isent needed towards the victims of the pirates that are kidnapped, their not being tortured or killed. I guess it takes some time for them to be released, but thats just a temporary discomfort, they are treated well.
Empathy is always needed when talking about victims of any kind. The trauma of even being kidnapped can be devastating to alot of people. Being treated well is the majority of the time, that's great. But what about when the Captain of the ship gets hung of the back of the boat, directly over the propellers, and is given an ultimatum "give us the code to the safe or we'll drop you," is no empathy needed there? Is that not traumatic? What about the sailors fearing for their life when the pirates shoot at their ship? What about when they get injured from shrapnel? What about when they are fired upon with RPGs and grenade launchers? Do none of these situations require empathy to understand?
Question Cow, you seem to say that pirates are just the average person out to make a dollar. Well if that is that case, how did they get weapons in the first place? And boats? They certainly couldn't start piracy on their dollar-a-day wage they make.
Vegabond fishermen or sailors usualy have a boat from their job, guns are bought from dealers on debt.
Fine. They get their guns, the ammo. They go ransom for a million dollars. How do they get more? they go back to the dealer buy more, giving the dealer more money and letting him go give guns to murders in other countries to kill and maim the people in that country. Sure the Pirates aren't actively promoting this, but neither are they stopping this.
or he somehow thinks he's being cool by rooting for the "little guy" even though in this situation the workers on the ships would be the little guy.
I've heard this before. Im rooting for the "little guy" becuase what their doing is right, and I feel is justified.
Silliest thing I've heard all discussion.
Also, I'm a sailor. Not on a merchant or commercial vessel, but I'm a sailor. I have also stolen things. Temporarily. On the water. Does this qualify me as a pirate? I think it does.
Nope. Piracy is robbery/criminal violence between two vessels, if a sailor partakes in this, he is a pirate. I assume you weren't talking about that? If you were - Yes. If not, no.
Shut up Johny. Shut up CowofDoom. Both of you look like your pulling shit out of your ass, and It pisses me off.
How about adding to the argument? Not taking away from it? If you don't like us discussing things, get out of General Discussions.
EDIT: Don't call me Johny. My name only has one H in it, and that is after the T!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:35:31 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Maturity. And let's NOT talk like pirates, VN is dead, don't bring it here.
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2009, 12:46:37 am »

Quote from: zchris13

Don't do that.  I don't agree with a lot of the things CowofDoom has said in this topic (the police are terrorists?  WTF?), but it's not your place to tell him to "shut up".  In fact, he's contributed a hell of a lot more to this discussion than you have.  If you want to refute his points, fine, "shut up" or "your pulling shit out of your ass" is not how you do it.  Let's try and keep this discussion above a third-grade level, can't we?

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2009, 02:28:23 am »

Ignore it, its just woose being annoying in purpose. =\
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2009, 02:33:00 am »

Woose...?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2009, 03:39:06 am »

4 warnings sent and 1 ban (Fobos -- dodging a mute, "fag", abusive in other posts, etc.).  Please try to respect the wishes of the OP, thanks, especially after repeated urgings!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2009, 03:51:28 am »

4 warnings sent and 1 ban (Fobos -- dodging a mute, "fag", abusive in other posts, etc.).  Please try to respect the wishes of the OP, thanks, especially after repeated urgings!

I agree with Toady One.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2009, 03:54:39 am »

I accuse you of being a sycophant.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2009, 03:57:23 am »

Fount it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 04:01:26 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2009, 03:58:44 am »

Even if he was guilty of being abusive, even if he was guilty of dodging a mute, even if I didn't know him that well, I'll miss you Fobos.

It's not everyday that you see someone banned.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2009, 04:00:24 am »

if abusive language gets you banned, I direly hope toady never takes his time to read my post history
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2009, 04:01:01 am »

Whoa, he got banned?!

I assumed he got muted again. I just reread Toady's post.  :I

Today is a sad day.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2009, 04:17:01 am »

If somebody asks a reasonable question in the DF gameplay section and you tell them off as your initial reply (and the second reply in the entire thread!), you'll be working your way toward a ban as well.  That was one of Fobos's 6 infractions this month.  Something has to give at some point.

In any case, if you want to go into forum policy more, let's start another thread.  People can continue to talk about piracy here.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2009, 05:03:23 am »

Oh-kay...

Piracy... I just read an article (that talks about 'The Glorious Old Days' or somethings, so it may be not too... good as a source) that said that the pirates of Malacca Strait (and Indonesian Archipelago as a whole) were a major force in combating imperialism.

They are the reason why British and Nederland don't dominate over the archipelago... until the 19th century.

Anyway, they lost because of technology. So perhaps the Somalian pirates can lost only to a better satellite system? (So navies could kill pirates who had pirated before)...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13