Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Piracy. No, not your Torrents, I mean REAL piracy.  (Read 15539 times)

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
Re: Piracy. No, not your Torrents, I mean REAL piracy.
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2009, 03:02:31 am »

This changes what?
This changes that, unlike the Age of Pirates, Modern-day pirates aren't attacking armed merchant ships, they're attacking unarmed tankers. Potentially used for terrorist acts, i.e. sailing one into port and blowing it up.
I bet if it was closer to home, you wouldn't be so accepting!
Thats the thing, its overseas. They cant pirate elsewhere or they would be blasted apart by enormous armies.
Except you know, there are warships patrolling these waters? That's also irrelevant, take America for example, do you really think they can patrol 100% of their waters safely? No.
I say it's 'terrorism,' as these pirates instill fear into the ships crew, when they attack.
Yes the police are terrorists too, as they instill fear into people to get their way as well.
EXCEPT YOU KNOW

The police actually instill this fear to prevent the injury or death of innocent people, the pirates do not! A silly analogy.

Pirates destabilize their region (Somalia etc.), preventing the average person there from living a better life, like you.

Supporting the guys fighting THE MAN doesn't make you look cool or awesome. In fact, it makes you look like an idiot.

EDIT:

Also.

Explain to us exactly why you support pirates.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:12:02 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2009, 04:08:32 am »

This changes that, unlike the Age of Pirates, Modern-day pirates aren't attacking armed merchant ships, they're attacking unarmed tankers. Potentially used for terrorist acts, i.e. sailing one into port and blowing it up.
Nor are they making their victims walk the plank in shark infested waters. Seriously, how can you even suggest that Age of Sail piracy was better in any way?
The police actually instill this fear to prevent the injury or death of innocent people, the pirates do not!
Actually, they do. The whole point is to take live prisoners so they can ransom them. Killing any of the crew is really bad for business.

And seriously, drop the George Bush demagoguery. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it terrorism. This thing is pure and simple crime.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2009, 05:12:44 am »

Nor are they making their victims walk the plank in shark infested waters. Seriously, how can you even suggest that Age of Sail piracy was better in any way?
Look back at what I was saying. I was saying that todays pirates are completely different from the romanticised pirates of the Age of Sail, which cow seems to think still applies.
The police actually instill this fear to prevent the injury or death of innocent people, the pirates do not!
Actually, they do. The whole point is to take live prisoners so they can ransom them. Killing any of the crew is really bad for business.
That wasn't what I was saying, do the average police person attack innocent workers for the simple reason of robbery? Pirates do. I also seriously doubt piracy is the main business of Pirates.
And seriously, drop the George Bush demagoguery. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it terrorism. This thing is pure and simple crime.
This completely separated from George Bush or any of his shit. Sure this isn't politically motivated, but whether you like it or not these pirates a terrorising the seas where they operate.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2009, 05:40:53 am »

Look back at what I was saying. I was saying that todays pirates are completely different from the romanticised pirates of the Age of Sail, which cow seems to think still applies.
And I was saying that they are different in the sense that modern pirates are better than old pirates in that they kill a lot less people.
Sure this isn't politically motivated, but whether you like it or not these pirates a terrorising the seas where they operate.
Look, when you get mugged, the mugger's goal is to intimidate you into giving him your money. Would you call him a terrorists? Would you call schoolyard bullies terrorists? I'm just saying that throwing that term around lightly reeks of George Bush's policies; policies involving imprisonment of people without due trial, torture and general disregard for basic human rights.

Anyway, just how many sailors that don't resist get injured or killed?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2009, 05:50:56 am »

mosty thay can get away because has Somalia has had no real rule of law for the past 10+ years thay get to walk free in a few day if no one trys them.

note that Somalia has had most of its fish kill by ilegal fishing/dumping toxic waste witch mean that all the fisher men are out of job and that the local Pirates can image them selfs as the cost police or what ever.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2009, 06:19:54 am »

I've read a bit more into these pirates to find their alot better then the media seems to depict them. Really there are alot of resemblances to pirates of the past.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. :D  I heard they treat their hostages nicely, at least for pirates...

there are warships patrolling these waters? That's also irrelevant, take America for example, do you really think they can patrol 100% of their waters safely? No.
Damn right they cant, the last thing the world needs is 100% ANYTHING regarding offensive or defensive power.

Modern-day pirates aren't attacking armed merchant ships, they're attacking unarmed tankers.
Is it the pirates fault that merchants dident arm their ships?

Pirates destabilize their region (Somalia etc.), preventing the average person there from living a better life, like you.
Now this is just flat out wrong, Somalia has been effected by pirates positively. It has given people jobs and better lives from the goods and money. Becoming one there is a great way to get ahead. I sure know its going to get you more money then fishing for iradiated fish.

Their helping a third world people, they have caught companys dumping toxic waste as well(This is just sick). Their also attacking powerful countrys ships, witch is nice to see.

Also for the simple fact that their pirates and I think thats cool.(yes, Im sorry to say)

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2009, 07:37:39 am »

Modern-day pirates aren't attacking armed merchant ships, they're attacking unarmed tankers.
Is it the pirates fault that merchants dident arm their ships?
How could they arm their ships? I'm fairly sure that it's against most international law.
Now this is just flat out wrong, Somalia has been effected by pirates positively. It has given people jobs and better lives from the goods and money. Becoming one there is a great way to get ahead. I sure know its going to get you more money then fishing for iradiated fish.
Bullshit about them affecting Somalia positively, sure they bring in one million everyone now and again, but it isn't helping Somalia, at all. They attacks ships bringing food aid to Somalia and surrounding countries, and drives Somalia deeper, and deeper into lawlessness.

Sure they're getting more money, but that is only in the short term. The money for long term infrastructure and services is being waster on more guns and more boats. Then there is the nasty business of the high possibility of being killed by various military forces.
They're helping a third world people, they have caught companys dumping toxic waste as well(This is just sick). They're also attacking powerful countrys ships, witch is nice to see.
Hijacking boats carrying emergency food aid to refugees is helping the third world? Attacking cruise liners and yachts is helping the third world? Please. These pirates aren't attacking a countries ships, they're attacking ships the belong to multi-national corporations, hardly a powerful nation. They help out too little to justify their actions towards innocent workers.
And I was saying that they are different in the sense that modern pirates are better than old pirates in that they kill a lot less people.
And? That's completely different to what I'm saying, I say one thing you seem to go down a completely different track.
Sure this isn't politically motivated, but whether you like it or not these pirates a terrorising the seas where they operate.
Look, when you get mugged, the mugger's goal is to intimidate you into giving him your money. Would you call him a terrorists? Would you call schoolyard bullies terrorists?
Yes, they are both imposing fear (terror) upon their victims. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice of words, however.
I'm just saying that throwing that term around lightly reeks of George Bush's policies; policies involving imprisonment of people without due trial, torture and general disregard for basic human rights.
Don't put the policies regarding the treatment of terrorists, in the same category as the usage of the word terrorist.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2009, 08:11:36 am »

I've personally worked on what is called a "crew boat", a 100' vessel quite similar to some that have been attacked by pirates lately,

How hard is it to actually get a job on a ship like that? Always been a bit of a dream of mine.  :P
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2009, 08:20:32 am »

Here's a pretty sure sign that you're incapable of arguing objectively.  When you get into a disagreement with someone about the nature of an incident of piracy, and you think the other person must therefore be rooting for the pirates.

Wow.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2009, 08:50:02 am »

"You don't agree with me? TERRORIST!!"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2009, 09:07:37 am »

I think cowofdoom is arguing for the sake of argument here.
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2009, 09:16:59 am »

Actually, I'm sure ships are allowed to carry firearms for defense. Just not mounted cannons. There is actually equipment out there that uses intense beams of sound to drive away pirates. The real problem is when none of the crew spots the pirates coming.

That us, unless those fishing trips with my father were a lot less legal than I suspected.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2009, 09:35:19 am »

IT'd make alot of sense to nuke them all.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Likes boats for their nauseating motion
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2009, 10:14:16 am »

Quote from: Rilder
How hard is it to actually get a job on a ship like that? Always been a bit of a dream of mine.

It's actually fairly easy.  I did it with basically no experience.  You just walk in to a shipping company and apply for a job as a deckhand.  They'll take any random joe off the street as long as he can pass a piss test and has a high-school diploma.  You usually live on the boat for two weeks and then get two weeks off, or some similar schedule, and you get paid by the day.  I was a deckhand (basically a combination janitor/loader/ boat-tyer-upper) for three months before they trained me to be an engineer.  You want to make sure that you don't get seasick, though.  I got BAD seasickness and tried to stick it out for a year.  It's very physical work and you have to be able to handle being alone or with a half-dozen guys for weeks at a time, but the company pays all your expenses on the boat (boat workers eat like KINGS), so you come home with piles of cash.  It's a great job if you can handle it, and they're always willing to train you upward.  If you work out as a low-level employee, most companies will agree to pay for your schooling to get a Master's License if you agree to work for them as a captain for a few years afterward.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2009, 11:23:37 am »

Actually, I'm sure ships are allowed to carry firearms for defense. Just not mounted cannons.

My first guess is most crews just don't want to turn a hijack attempt into a fight to the death just to save their employer some ransom money.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13