Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Piracy. No, not your Torrents, I mean REAL piracy.  (Read 15576 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Piracy. No, not your Torrents, I mean REAL piracy.
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2009, 06:57:00 pm »

That's a great solution! Let's hire Riddick! He'll handle the Somalian pirates!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2009, 06:59:19 pm »

As much as I dislike the methods of the pirates, there certainly is something to be said of someone who at least does return prisoners as promised, and could be seen as defending their own coastline.

Still, it'd be better for them to have a strong government, but by the time that happens, well... it certainly won't be in my or my children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their childrens children.

Perhaps I exaggerate slightly. It is a complex issue, and for now, how about the boats just avoid going through their waters? Pirates can't pirate when there's no doubloons in it for them.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2009, 07:08:00 pm »

As much as I dislike the methods of the pirates, there certainly is something to be said of someone who at least does return prisoners as promised, and could be seen as defending their own coastline.

Still, it'd be better for them to have a strong government, but by the time that happens, well... it certainly won't be in my or my children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their children or their childrens children.

Perhaps I exaggerate slightly. It is a complex issue, and for now, how about the boats just avoid going through their waters? Pirates can't pirate when there's no doubloons in it for them.

Unless your children went back in time, and are acctually you.
Pirating in Somalia caused by a few issues, big ones at that, a terrible government on the verge of collapse, poverty everywhere, and that theres gigantic cargo ships full of precious stuff that can have a ransom in the millions of $s. But yeah, if the pirates didn't release them, do you think the companies would pay their ransoms? Not really its just part of the job.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 07:11:58 pm »

Well, why not put some marines or what ever the equivilant is, on some random ships. Basically to act as a detterant to all piraters and the likes. Will they, won't they? (Have marines onboard).

Something like 20,000 ships pass by Somalia a year to use the suez canal or pick up saudi oil so your going to need a lot of soldiers.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2009, 07:14:31 pm »

Hmm, ok, how about some mercs then. That'd save alot on possible ransoming costs.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2009, 07:25:36 pm »

Hell yeah, Im always 100% for piracy. Im suprised everyone is so against piracy though, its like you guys have no sence of adventure what so ever. :(

no serously.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2009, 07:51:32 pm »

I'd like a humanitarian solution as much as the next guy, but I'm willing to settle for an effective solution.  From my point of view, it seems that military force is that effective solution. 

Which was tried back in the 1990's. The US also funded anti-terrorist militas back in 2006, and then encouraged Ethopia to send in troops to occupy Somailia (this was when stopping Islamic militas was in style). Ethopia didn't like occupying Somailia, and they soon left.

Military force was used, and it failed miserably. It's not effective. It won't work.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2009, 07:52:55 pm »

Military force was used, and it failed miserably. It's not effective. It won't work.
In the end: nothing is effective. Thats how these discussions always end.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2009, 08:50:13 pm »

Hell yeah, Im always 100% for piracy. Im suprised everyone is so against piracy though, its like you guys have no sence of adventure what so ever. :(

no serously.

Respect for the situation of others is one thing; but frankly these are criminals that have little compassion for human life other than it's value as a ransom. While they may sometimes be fishermen and they may be the only form of coast guard that their country has, there are many among them who would board a civilian vessel and loot anything they can get.

These are not Johnny Depp!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2009, 09:03:52 pm »

no serously.

Respect for the situation of others is one thing; but frankly these are criminals that have little compassion for human life other than it's value as a ransom. While they may sometimes be fishermen and they may be the only form of coast guard that their country has, there are many among them who would board a civilian vessel and loot anything they can get.

These are not Johnny Depp!
Compassion for human life is often seen one way and then done another. This whole discussion has pretty much been filled with the "compassion" of civilians shouting "Off with their heads!" from the sidelines when the pirates are the ones actually fighting.

Also pirates loot and take people for ransom, thats their job. Thats why their called pirates.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2009, 10:39:14 pm »

This is not a game! How can you call attacking nearly unarmed vessels to capture their crews and steal their goods merely a "job"? Civilian shipping crews could be killed easily and are at the total mercy of their captors.

I suggest you separate the fantasy of the pirate from the fact of these bloodthirsty criminals.

Why is this thread in General Discussion, anyway? somebody not get enough of VN? Somebody move this into life advice or something.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2009, 10:41:37 pm »

Also pirates loot and take people for ransom, thats their job. Thats why their called pirates.

Immagine that job interview.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2009, 11:14:07 pm »

I don't know much about politic or economy, and I live a rather sheltered life to say the least, so it's probably not in my place to comment on these things.
Still I think there might be a point to what cowofdoom78963 says, despite her saying it in jest. as from what I have heard the net result of this is that a bunch of money goes from fat companies to poor 3rd world people, and that overfishing and pollution is fought. Sailors might be shaken up but if the companies give in they are not harmed, but they (unless the companies misinformed them, and then that's the companies fault!) knew the risks when they joined. As I see it this is a good thing, right?

(come to think of it, my sheltered life might in some twisted way make me MORE entitled to endorse pirates, as I'm supposedly in the end that loses money.)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2009, 11:17:18 pm »

Alas, poor cowofdoom; his effeminate posting style has lead to him being branded a woman many times.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2009, 11:22:37 pm »

I guess your right Armok, third world people are gaining from this. Making it seem more courageous to me personaly, even if its not the pirates intent.

This is not a game!
Yes, I know. The amount people are obsessed with security disgusts me, thats all.

How can you call attacking nearly unarmed vessels to capture their crews and steal their goods merely a "job"?
No, I dident mean in the conventional sense with breifcases and offices. Its their job as in its what they do, how they bring home the bacon and such.

Civilian shipping crews could be killed easily and are at the total mercy of their captors.
True, lets hope they show mercy then.

I suggest you separate the fantasy of the pirate from the fact of these bloodthirsty criminals.
I dont really care that their criminals, but I dont think their doing it for the joy of slaughtering people.(not what their doing anyway), obviously its for the cargo.

You go and tell me this isent a game, then change your mind and turn pirates into some sort of villans whos only intrests lie in destruction.

his effeminate posting style has lead to him being branded a woman many times.
Im SURE its that. ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13