Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skulls/totems from significant creatures remember details  (Read 2336 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skulls/totems from significant creatures remember details
« on: April 10, 2009, 08:33:45 am »

Wouldn't it be great if instead of 'this is a goblin skull totem', it said 'this is a totem made from the skull of Dostngosp Ukgedaz the goblin Hammer Lord who was killed in the Siege of Attacking at Boatmurdered in 351.'

Obviously it wouldn't be worthwhile for this kind of information to be kept on every skull, just ones from elites/legendaries, leaders of civs, semi/megabeasts and named creatures with significant history or several kills.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
Re: Skulls/totems from significant creatures remember details
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 10:16:21 am »

Yeh, would be cool to see all those elite elves in my stocks. Seeing their names...then selling the totems back to the elves :P
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:28:07 am »

I think Toady already implemented the technical basis for this:

Quote from: dev_2008
09/07/2008: The main project today was rooting out the tangle of compatibility code and then extending the material system enough to support id numbers (which involved generalizing aged code all over the place to a more resilient system I hopefully won't have to pick through again anytime soon). As a trivial first test, I made it keep track of the identity of blood spatters (the idea for that material type in general is that later if you have a vial of a particular somebody's blood, etc., it might come up in a magic system, etc.). This will also make various custom materials easier as well, though I'm planning to stay on track with the military changes (for which I'm still sorting out the raw entries) as well as the fleshing out of the underground. There are still a few other compat changes I need to do, but I'll do those later in this release cycle.

Although it's not clear how widely the material ID numbers will be used in the next version.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 06:31:55 pm »

yeah, I would like this for named creatures hides as well. It bothered me way back when I killed a named giant scorpion and giant jaguar after much dwarven injury intending to make awesome armor out of them and found they were just normal leather :/

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 08:41:10 am »

yeah, I would like this for named creatures hides as well. It bothered me way back when I killed a named giant scorpion and giant jaguar after much dwarven injury intending to make awesome armor out of them and found they were just normal leather :/

I think you'd still be half-disappointed, because I don't believe scorpions leave skulls?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 09:24:20 am »

Skull helms (ceremonial) for creatures larger than size 8.

For that matter, variable sizes for creature skulls.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 04:05:25 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly that named/legendary creatures should produce unique hides/skulls/bones (/fat?). Maybe it could even be prioritized for artifact use?
This is a steel bucket. It menaces with lead spikes.
On the bucket is an image of a cougar and a dwarf in Fissuretongs the Cougars leather. The cougar in striking down the dwarf.
I also agree that we should have skull helms or generally some better use for skulls/totems.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:16:57 pm »

I think you'd still be half-disappointed, because I don't believe scorpions leave skulls?
named creatures hides

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 11:09:06 pm »

named creatures hides

I'm all for named hides..  of course, I'd also be cool with being able to make hides from sentients, too..  Goblin-skin cape, elf-hide loincloth (sooo silky smooth!)  o/`  seeeee my vest, see my vest...o/`

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 11:13:08 pm »

named creatures hides

I'm all for named hides..  of course, I'd also be cool with being able to make hides from sentients, too..  Goblin-skin cape, elf-hide loincloth (sooo silky smooth!)  o/`  seeeee my vest, see my vest...o/`

I think you can edit the raws to make butchering sentients acceptable and they will do it.

I'm not 100% sure though, I've never tried.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 11:20:54 pm »

I believe you're correct, but I vaguely remember there was a significant downside as well?  Can't farm, or something equally inconvenient?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 12:36:42 pm »

why not have skull necklaces/ears made from dead foes(linked to the MAKE_TROPHY ethics)
i see goblins with the neccklaces made form some thing thay killed back in world gen.
baseicy a necklace with a lot of skulls used to decorate it.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG