Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mod in progress, need help!  (Read 772 times)

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
mod in progress, need help!
« on: April 10, 2009, 12:30:01 am »

Heya... i've been trying to make a civ mod, for several days now... i got it to gen once.. but if rogot how... i'ved tried planting it into the entity_default fiel, and a file of it's own... i'm not wanting to overwrite a pre-existing race, and i also want it to be Civ_controllable... i just can't figure out how to get it to appear in world gen.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.
Re: mod in progress, need help!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 01:22:26 am »

Remove civ_controllable from the dwarves

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:21:14 am »

You don't need to remove civ_controllable from the dwarves.

First, clear your error log (just open up the text file and delete all the text), generate the world again (largest size is preferable, as new civs have lower chances of showing up on the smaller sizes), and check the error log. If there's anything there, let us know. If not, there shouldn't be anything preventing your civ from showing up.

Also, when embarking in fortress mode, one of the screens you can tab through on the Embark screens allows you to select which civilization you play as. If your modded race survived worldgen, at least one of those civilizations should be of your modded race (you can tell which race each civilization is by looking at the blue symbols on the world map when selecting these civs; these symbols correspond to the type of town your civ lives in (mountainhome, city, forest retreat, or tower); obviously, this isn't useful if your civ uses the same town type as dwarves (mountainhomes)).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:07:07 pm »

I've discovered that the name of the file does seem to matter when yer adding new mods.
new bodyparts need "body_" at the start civs need "entity_" creatures need "creature_" items need "item_" and so on.  Remember to change the file header to the name as well and clear out data/objects.

I have never seen this reported anywhere else in modding, but every time I try to make something new and give the txt file a different format name it doesn't work until I rename it to something similar to the vanilla raws.

If the new files don't start like that give it a shot.  I don't understand why it does that, but I have never had anything that doesn't follow that format work.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 12:13:28 pm »

thanks, everyone. i got it to gen on a 129x129 from a vanilla install... once... is there a civ cap hardcoded? becuase i'm trying to run my mod with gnolls, orcs, and the primitive civ mod. Iknow about hte embark thing, and have played as gnolls on a world with both dwarves and gnolls playable.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 03:43:06 pm »

There's a worldgen parameter you can increase to raise the civ cap, I believe. Look in the "advanced parameters" or something like that when you're choosing a world size.

And you only need to clear out data/objects if you remove or rename an entire text file from the raws.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 04:38:01 pm »

i actually always have a high number of civs in world gens,  i almost never use standard world genning anymore.