Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves have higher hunger/thirst/sleep threshold while on the job  (Read 1469 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

See title.

Currently, dwarves often cancel their jobs while doing them due to needing to eat, sleep or drink. This can be quite annoying when you want a job done urgently, like raising a drawbridge. Therefore, giving dwarves a higher hunger/thirst/sleep threshold while doing a job would give less of a headache to the player. The dwarves can have their break after completing their task.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves have higher hunger/thirst/sleep threshold while on the job
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 12:13:32 am »

Yes, I dearly supports this, it's pretty annoying to see things get scattered around on constructions because someone decided to take a break in middle of hauling the material to build with. Same with dumping and other hauler tasks

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 08:23:56 am »

What about just letting the dwarves to carry food & drink with themselves?

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:02:47 am »

of course going with this idea.. Would dwarves that are tired produce shoddy items??

Would hungry or thirsty dwarves do the same because they are not concentrating on their job?
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:25:58 am »

I know I've seen Toady mention this as one of the things he plans to do -- dwarves should stick it out when they're on the job instead of canceling the moment they realize they're a bit hungry.

Profit: certainly not, since you don't have any control over dwarven restfulness. That kind of thing would only be appropriate if it was based on a setting you could tweak for how hard the dwarves were working overall, which is an entirely different (repeat) suggestion.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 12:13:26 pm »

of course going with this idea.. Would dwarves that are tired produce shoddy items??

Would hungry or thirsty dwarves do the same because they are not concentrating on their job?

I think that this would be more along the lines of "finish current task, then go get a drink", not "keep working forever". Basically, when the job finished the next job the dwarf would pick up would be the drink/eat/sleep task rather than the current system where they drop whatever they are doing to drink/eat/sleep.

There would probably be a higher threshold at which they would cancel to eat/drink/sleep, though, to prevent dwarves dehydrating on long hauling jobs and such.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.