Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-body creatures  (Read 1187 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Multi-body creatures
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:34:56 pm »

The Dullahan is a faerie from Irish folklore who is most likely the inspiration for the Headless Horseman from the Sleepy Hollow film. He is usually seen ridding a huge black steed and its as if his steed is really a part of him rather than a separate entity.

The reason I bring this up is that I wanted to add him as a new megabeast but with things set up as they are I can only have him on foot. I propose that we should be able to specify certain creatures as having multiple bodies and the relationship between those bodies. With the Dullahan you would define his humanoid body then his dark steed and then define said steed as his mount.

Other relationships could include a demon always surrounded by demonic bat like familiars, a legion of foes that are really one spirit incarnate or even a stupid brute and an intelligent weakling with a kind of symbiotic relationship. I'm sure others can imagine more creative relationships than these but I just want my headless horseman :P.

What do you think?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-body creatures
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:40:21 pm »

This reminds me of Pickle Replicsimilies, Mutationism ( when it split into five guys ) , Hiveminds ( and their hordes ) , Shadow Water, YuYu ( when they become a cloud ) , the zombies in Castle, The Broken Circle ( and the E-Filled denizens ) ...

I'd say yes
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:43:33 pm by Foa »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:41:04 am »

I wanted to add him as a new megabeast

He makes more sense as a Semimegabeast or as a power if you want to give him some sort of special status.

Personally when I went in here I thought you were speaking about having the Dullahan capable of splitting his body appart such as a flying sword and shield that do fly bys and strike you.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:43:56 am by Neonivek »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 03:24:55 am »

As for me making Dullahan a megabeast I will agree with you when you say it might be going to far, I haven't a lot of experience with semimegabeasts or creatures as powers but I was really explaining where I got the idea for this suggestion from.

I don't know about splitting bodies apart but I the whole flying sword and shield idea inspired me a little, how about a cursed banner that has a small legion of undead knights as an extension of itself, one could even carry it, unfortunately we cant give creatures pre-set items from the raws I don't think.

Foa having done some searching I'd guess your referring to a number of different manga style comics, unfortunately I am not up to date with modern anime or manga, last I read was Akira. But you seem to have got the idea!
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 03:40:00 am »

unfortunately we cant give creatures pre-set items from the raws I don't think.

You can however force items to be equipped on civilization creatures, if I recall correctly.
!!&!!

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 09:28:17 am »

I've always had an idea for this monster.

Its large, fierce, with powerful legs and lethal claws, but has no eyes or ears and thus cannot detect prey.

Instead, it has several floating eyes as extensions of its body, which it sends forth to scout and to provide visual data when its actually fighting.  The semi-sentient sentinals communicate with the monster via telepathy.