Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attacking  (Read 1279 times)

cjet79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Attacking
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:35:56 pm »

Is there any way to attack creatures that are considered friendly to you, specifically elves.  I want to give my soldiers some practice, but with minimal risk to their health, and the elven caravan just seemed like a good idea.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Attacking
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:40:59 pm »

Since you're not controlling the dwarves like you do in the sims ... you're more of a supervisor. So no. If you're friends with the elves the dwarves won't attack them just because you think it'd be a good idea.

Your ballistas don't discriminate though. Neither does magma, bridges that are withdrawn, animals suddenly released from cages ... be creative and get them elves!

Don't forget to post your exploits.

EDIT: Oh right. I forgot, you want experience? Well you can wall off the trade depot and once the elves get in there you seal it off or something. Elves need to eat you see... and if they stay in there they'll starve and dehydrate and go crazy. Once they go crazy your dorfs will fight them.
This can take forever though. The elves bring food and drink with them so they can survive for a LONG time in there ... and after all that only a few might go berzerk.. and they will attack eachother when they do. In the end your dorfs might storm in, kill one berzerking elf (who by the way is pretty dangerous) and then those who are healthy leave your fortress.. and those who are struck with Melancholy will linger only to die by their own hand later on.

So for experience? There are better ways.. put out cagetraps.. catch monsters.. release monsters in fortified areas.. shoot with marksdwarves.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:45:18 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 10:58:42 pm »

If you want practice, let them spar. They need a barracks and to be off duty.

cjet79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:20:32 pm »

Since you're not controlling the dwarves like you do in the sims ... you're more of a supervisor. So no. If you're friends with the elves the dwarves won't attack them just because you think it'd be a good idea.

Your ballistas don't discriminate though. Neither does magma, bridges that are withdrawn, animals suddenly released from cages ... be creative and get them elves!

Don't forget to post your exploits.

EDIT: Oh right. I forgot, you want experience? Well you can wall off the trade depot and once the elves get in there you seal it off or something. Elves need to eat you see... and if they stay in there they'll starve and dehydrate and go crazy. Once they go crazy your dorfs will fight them.
This can take forever though. The elves bring food and drink with them so they can survive for a LONG time in there ... and after all that only a few might go berzerk.. and they will attack eachother when they do. In the end your dorfs might storm in, kill one berzerking elf (who by the way is pretty dangerous) and then those who are healthy leave your fortress.. and those who are struck with Melancholy will linger only to die by their own hand later on.

So for experience? There are better ways.. put out cagetraps.. catch monsters.. release monsters in fortified areas.. shoot with marksdwarves.

Well its good to know there are plenty of ways to kill the elves.  But I wanted to be nice and let my Dwarves personally share in the business of spreading elf blood all over my floors. I was sort of hoping there was some way to designate enemies the same way you designate animals for slaughter.

I ended up seizing their goods, and meticulously going through their articles of clothing and designating them to be dumped.  They got away with their lives though because I wasn't done setting up the spike traps below the bridge.  I think I will test the bridge out on the human caravan.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 11:35:01 pm »

Spike traps actually don't hurt people falling on them, surprisingly.

cjet79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 12:06:34 am »

Yeah I just figured that out with the humans  :-[

My fort is going to be the most peaceful fort ever, I feel like a failure.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 09:45:55 am »

Try linking those spike traps up to a lever, and then after you dump elves on them set them to go off and on and such. :D

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 03:06:27 pm »

My fort is going to be the most peaceful fort ever, I feel like an elf.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 07:36:03 pm »

My fort is going to be the most peaceful awesome fort ever, I feel like an elf dwarf.
RETCON'ED!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 03:45:57 am »

My fort is going to be the most peaceful awesome fort ever, I feel like an elf dwarf.
RETCON'ED!

Ow! My stomache lining!

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 06:13:59 am »

Try to get the sneaky diplomats, guild presentatives, or whatnot they send to talk about deals caught in a lever powered spike. They seem to take poorly on this type of thing. I actually entered war with humans when their diplomat was wounded by wild animal. He staggered into my forth, negotiated the treaty with one arm crushed to pieces, and left. On the way out, he fell unconcious on a stone fall trap, and got hit in the head by a big stone, which killed him. The humans too kthe fact that he died in my trap as a excuse, laied siege to my fortress durin gnext three summers (siege each summer). They wouldn't come in though, just sit around campfires talking. Luckily a friendly dragon came to attack my fortress on the first siege, and barbequed the invasion force, before arriving in my door and entering a cage trap. The next two invasions I had to deal myself.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

suicidal_dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 08:11:07 am »

Human sieges are weak, to be honest. If you have a fortress in a dangerous area, you're already more or less self sufficient (apart from for wood, perhaps) and you can outwait them; that or shoot them repeatedly with champion marksdwarves :D
Scamps has adopted ToadyOne!
ToadyOne cancels work: Play with cat