Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The Dwarven Magma Cannon  (Read 62982 times)

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Magma Cannon
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2009, 08:48:08 pm »

and if the pumps went as wide as an entire segment, and as deep and tall as possible underground before hitting the surface... more pressure... more distance?
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2009, 08:49:34 pm »

I believe it's like this: Pumps can be made of any material except wood if the open tile isn't submerged in magma.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2009, 09:13:50 pm »

Some people have reported that the pumps will eventually collapse.  Not burn, you see, just explode, fall down.  Deconstruct.  The wooden items take heat damage.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2009, 07:24:15 am »

mmm bump... :-)

I think someone needs to define "magma cannon"... because right now... people in this thread are calling their orbital magma drop devices "magma cannons" and the lave curtain devices are certainly not magma cannons...

I would like to think of a magma cannon being a device that pressurizes magma which then must shoot out horizontally at least a small distance.

but, besides that, I have a question:

if you have a pump (or 5) on a high z level that is "pressurizing" the magma, and then have that magma stored in a vertical pipe, and then a short horizontal pipe at the bottom... (where your firing-floodgate is) as long as the pumps manage to keep it all at 7/7 (e/g "pressurized")  would the vertical holding tank increase the range? compared to... 5 pressurizing magma pumps at the same level as the barrel?

(does that make any sence?)
Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2009, 10:09:57 am »

You can't shoot magma out any distance no matter how much pressure.  There is no real way to make a magma cannon like that.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2009, 10:55:59 am »

Not yet anyway.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2009, 01:28:48 pm »

While the magma won't shoot straight outward, a wide enough array of pumps will make it form a large glob that extends several tiles beyond the end of the barrel. Essentially, any pressure you have will cause the magma to expand in all directions.

In order to work reliably, though, a simple gravity feed probably isn't enough since magma likely won't fall fast enough to keep all of the pumps constantly primed (haven't tested this with a uniform magma tank with the lower pumps submerged, just the bottom of a magma tube where the pump intake tiles were obviously underneath a ceiling and thus could only fill from the sides), but if you have a tall enough stack of pumps, it'll provide a decent radius burst.

Pressure applied by screw pumps isn't the same as water pressure - it only applies 1 "unit" of pressure whenever the pump moves an amount of liquid (meaning if you try to push 4/7 of water into a narrow that already has 5 tiles of 7/7 water, it'll get pushed all the way to the 6th tile), and when there's nowhere for the liquid to go, the pressure simply does not accumulate.

As a test, I built a 5-wide 19-tall cannon using the following layout, and the edge of the magma reaches 5 tiles beyond the end of the barrel before the upper pumps lose pressure and the flow reduces to a trickle. A sufficiently wide and tall pump stack, when primed, could probably flood an entire region tile in a matter of seconds, but it would require an ungodly amount of machine power.

Code: [Select]
Z+0
######
#_%%.#
#_%%.########
#_%%........X
#_%%.########
#_%%.#
######

Z-1
######
#.%%_#
#.%%_#
#.%%_#
#.%%_#
#.%%_#
######

Z-2
######
#_%%.#
#_%%.#
#_%%.#
#_%%.#
#_%%.#
######

A movie of this cannon in action can be found here.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2009, 02:44:16 pm »

I believe it's like this: Pumps can be made of any material except INCLUDING wood if the open tile isn't submerged in magma.

I have made wooden magma pumps before.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2009, 03:22:11 pm »

Would you be able to make floors for the magma to follow outward or would it all fall off to the side?  I imagine there would be some "sidefall" (like a magma yard sprinkler)leaving a curtain of magma but would most of it follow a 1 wide floor straight out?

Like so...
######...................
#~%>M#...................
#~%>M#####...............
#~%>MMMMMXFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
#~%>M#####...............
######...................
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2009, 03:42:57 pm »

Nope, it would spill off the sides immediately at the far left.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2009, 03:49:44 pm »

Even if you put a wall every other tile?

#.#.#.#.#.#
FFFFFFFFFFF
#.#.#.#.#.#
[code]
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2009, 04:05:11 am »

You have won...
The Urist War Prize!
Congratulations!

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2010, 10:01:24 am »

Would it be possible to build both a water cannon and a magma cannon, and position the two so that their shots collide in midair, causing the magma to harden and drop on the skulls of anything below?

If so, I need to try that.

There are far easier ways to crush enemies, of course, but what's the fun in doing anything the easy way?

I've tried this. Unfortunately, blocks won't form in midair, without rock to connect to. So what happens is the water and magma hit the ground then build a column up, like a drip castle.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2010, 06:18:55 pm »

Really? Blocks not forming in midair goes against my experience with setting up an auto-cave in generator, but they had a bridge diagonal to them.

Side view:

~~~~O!!!!
==== ====

~ = water
= = bridge
! = magma
O = obsidian

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2010, 07:20:10 pm »

Really? Blocks not forming in midair goes against my experience with setting up an auto-cave in generator, but they had a bridge diagonal to them.

Side view:

~~~~O!!!!
==== ====

~ = water
= = bridge
! = magma
O = obsidian

Ok, yeah, when I did it, I had more space between the magma cannon and the water cannon, so that the blocks formed in MIDAIR -- not connected to anything, even diagonally -- and it didn't work.

Did your format form blocks that dropped instantly, or did you have to pull the bridges up to make the blocks drop, or what?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6