Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plant value  (Read 890 times)

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plant value
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:39:19 am »

Im currently in the process of making a mod so that I can grow my own metals *just the ones produced from ores like iron*, I got the reactions and plant design working already *I am basing it off the plant I made with a reaction to grow my own wood*.

This isnt so much of a problem, more like a balancing issue I want to set the values of the plants to be in the 1000s though my current attempts end up with the plants being only worth one point on the embark screen. The only plant defying this would be the adamanite plant which i set to 300000 which i hope worked but ill find out when i get a caravan during a more serious testing.

Also I just noted that the value of thread and rope made from these plants are in the negatives XP *I had to add a thread feature so that it can be processed to produce seeds making it worthwhile and then so the thread can be reacted to produce the metal

I think I need an explanation of how the [VALUE:] tag effects the plant values etc. I think though here is an example plant design for the iron crop if that would help. If you are curious I set the frequency to 0 so that herbalists can't get freebies from the hard work of our genetic engineering dwarfs and the standard growth time is a season so that adamanite will take 7.5 years to grow instead of 30 =P (also i did search for stuff like this but i couldnt find anything)

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:MINERAL_CROP_IRON]
[TILE:6]
[COLOUR:0:7:1]
[NAME:Iron crop][NAME_PLURAL:Iron fields]
[GROWDUR:1008][VALUE:10000]
[THREAD]
[SEEDNAME:Iron dust spawn][SEED:0:7:1]
[GENPOWER:1]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:0]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[WET][DRY][BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plant value
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 12:36:00 pm »

Im currently in the process of making a mod so that I can grow my own metals *just the ones produced from ores like iron*, I got the reactions and plant design working already *I am basing it off the plant I made with a reaction to grow my own wood*.

This isnt so much of a problem, more like a balancing issue I want to set the values of the plants to be in the 1000s though my current attempts end up with the plants being only worth one point on the embark screen. The only plant defying this would be the adamanite plant which i set to 300000 which i hope worked but ill find out when i get a caravan during a more serious testing.

Also I just noted that the value of thread and rope made from these plants are in the negatives XP *I had to add a thread feature so that it can be processed to produce seeds making it worthwhile and then so the thread can be reacted to produce the metal

I think I need an explanation of how the [VALUE:] tag effects the plant values etc. I think though here is an example plant design for the iron crop if that would help. If you are curious I set the frequency to 0 so that herbalists can't get freebies from the hard work of our genetic engineering dwarfs and the standard growth time is a season so that adamanite will take 7.5 years to grow instead of 30 =P (also i did search for stuff like this but i couldnt find anything)

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:MINERAL_CROP_IRON]
[TILE:6]
[COLOUR:0:7:1]
[NAME:Iron crop][NAME_PLURAL:Iron fields]
[GROWDUR:1008][VALUE:10000]
[THREAD]
[SEEDNAME:Iron dust spawn][SEED:0:7:1]
[GENPOWER:1]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:0]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[WET][DRY][BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]

I suspect that you are overflowing the internal size of the "value" field. Remember that Adamantine only have value 300, so value 1000 is probably unreasonable. I could easily see that causing issues like negative numbers.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 12:47:18 pm »

thanks, ill give it a go, just thought if would make it would be more of an exploit if you could grow yourself lots of stuff from just a few seeds at the cost of 2 or 3 times the value of the metals, oh well it'll be a necessary 'burden' XP

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:51:27 pm »

i seem to recall the number limit for any one entry being something over 60000 for any base value of any setting, price, number of, etc etc, once it hits that limiting number, things go wonky and usually negitive. though i'm not sure if that limit applys to the price multiplied from manufacturing things into other things as some values of mood items can top that i recall.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:41:30 am »

I altered the values and the range is now like 6 *for crops to produce nickel and the like* to 900 *for the adamantine* unfortunately they still all appear only worth 1 point i get the feeling that the engine doesnt base the embark value off the [VALUE:] tag i read something about a material multiplier when i looked at the value tag specifically so im looking through the plant tokens again to see if i can get anywhere, edit: can't find anything to edit

i guess its fair to say that the seeds were never supposed to be worth as much as that though im guessing frequency may have something to do with that so i think ill put frequency up to 100 and see what happens *i assume its decimal form may be used as a power of some sort if it does have a relevance* edit: nevermind it didnt work

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 09:22:16 am »

i guess its fair to say that the seeds were never supposed to be worth as much as that though im guessing frequency may have something to do with that so i think ill put frequency up to 100 and see what happens *i assume its decimal form may be used as a power of some sort if it does have a relevance* edit: nevermind it didnt work

Seeds are always worth 1. If you want to prevent "cheatyness", give them long grow duration, something along the lines of 2-3 years. Value only affects the worth of the final plants, and products made from them (so if you could brew, cook, mill, extract, or make thread from them, those products would be valuable).
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 10:02:49 am »

thanks again, unfortunatley i want the grow time of the series to be proportional to their item values so adamantine being 30 times more valuable than iron it take 30 times longer to grow etc. which means an adamantine plant will take 7.5 years to grow while iron takes 1 season to grow, which i guess is reasonable given how long it can take to get that far, but ill just edit the values of them to equal the metal values now then so that that adamantine does make a better thread than and iron one etc.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 01:47:47 pm »

Seeds are always worth 1. If you want to prevent "cheatyness", give them long grow duration, something along the lines of 2-3 years. Value only affects the worth of the final plants, and products made from them (so if you could brew, cook, mill, extract, or make thread from them, those products would be valuable).

Is it actually possible for growth to take more than an year? I was under the assumpation that one year was the most that a plant could grow, due to the slight bug nearing end of winter, where everything stops being growable, despite being fine the next season.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 06:57:28 pm »

If that was true once it no longer is. I myself sat fro over an hour doing a 1 and 1/4 year long plant growth test. I can confirm that plants will grow fine for over a year, as long as every season is set to be growable.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.