Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Your most SCREWED Survivors...  (Read 4959 times)

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most SCREWED Survivors...
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 10:27:57 am »

I think my most screwed survivors were in a fortress that I was starting on an ocean side, but steep mountain area (filled in ^). Their wagon began on the edge of a cliff sitting on ice. Apparently this ocean froze...which was wierd. Anyways it immediatly unfroze and all my dwarves and supplies were flushed out to sea, 3 survived on a cliff ledge they washed onto but without a pick they had no way of reach food, water, anything.
Now THIS is what we were talking about!
I think it only would've been better if eventually they turned to canabalism but alas I abandoned that fort after the first caravan came and was unable to reach them.
A skeletal giant eagle would have worked just as well.

Well that too, although if I recall correctly there was a giant eagle. I know there were sea creatures from sting rays to sharks.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

scienceIswear

• Escaped Lunatic
  • She absolutely despises reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 11:22:41 am »

Well, due to stupidity (both my own and the dwarves), 3 Forgotten Beasts are sealed INSIDE the fort and caverns. Only 1 dwarf made it out. No shrubs, water or plants. One barrel of sewer brew. Merchants are a long time off...
My most brutal attack by a titan was a buffalo twisted in human form with three eyes, long flowing pink hair, and emanating an aura of giving and kindness.

Now I'm not sure how kindness would translate in that monster's tongue, but he sure gave a lot of beatings.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 01:16:25 pm »

Ok, I've got this.

Once upon a time in Inchbolt. A simultaneous goblin siege and HFS breach broke the military (which ended up stopping the clowns, but leaving too few to stop the siege) and/or clogged the traps. The dwarves were running about in the street, Trolls wandering the halls, slaughter left and right, etc etc.

Luckily, Inchbolt was prepared. The King, the Mayor, the remaining military consisting of one uninjured Dabbling Marksdwarf Recruit, their children, and anyone else who could get to the burrow in time ran to the King's compound. It was equipped vault-style with a food and booze stockpile complete with tiny farm, dining room, and dormitory. There was even a tiny hospital. All in all, there were about 20ish dwarves including the kids, living in an area built for about 60 to survive until it was safe to come out. Crisis averted.

Then, madness  :-X

The Mayor went berserk. He was contained in the King's throne room initially. But over the course of time (from late autumn till spring autosave, about 3 months give or take) he slowly broke down each and every door and slew those therein piecemeal. The last dwarven children holed up in the bridge-secured treasure vault, and starved surrounded by artifacts and masterwork crafts. THE END.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:18:28 pm by dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 05:39:20 pm »

The last post was three years ago.  Necromancing ingame = good.  Necromancing in forum = bad.
In the future, please pay attention to dates.

...or start a new thread.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 06:42:37 pm »

I once had a guy who was killed by a giant corkscrew. Can't get more screwed than that.

Vox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 07:07:03 pm »

I once had a guy who was killed by a giant corkscrew. Can't get more screwed than that.
What a twisted way to die.
You... You're about to weaponize chickens. You are my hero.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 07:50:55 pm »

Two dwarves who were in the demon siege
Like 30 others in the fort, they became bedridden
Not because they had broken spines

But because I had neglected to set up a med bay before
These two had a broken foot each
They were rescued, and layed in bed

Eventually, only 3 dwarves were left
1 fed and watered them
He died trying to get to a food stockpile for himself, thanks to a salt demon

These two dwarves were now in bed, doors unlocked, unable to fend for themselves
A Chef and A Clerk

Here is where irony kicks in
Somehow they became immortal
I say that, because somehow, while in extreme pain, they stopped having any water or food. They were ecstatic, and two seasons in their beds, a caravan comes. It is massacred by one demon. Next season, migrants.
I was going to build supports and crush all my dwarves, because it was lost
The two entry points were blocked by individual demons who kept shooting their extracts

These two dwarves, where their deaths were supposed to come eventually, just kept living
They were still screwed because I gave up on killing them after the migrant wave starved, and then abandoned.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2013, 09:40:20 pm »

you SEARCHED for a thread from 4 years ago to necro?  dedication.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2013, 10:27:09 pm »

you SEARCHED for a thread from 4 years ago to necro?  dedication.

I imagine it was buried pretty deep, but he managed to dig it up anyhow...and for such a mediocre comment.  Must be an Elf.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

Possomtail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2013, 10:51:04 pm »

I've had a few otherwise healthy dwarves with missing upper bodies.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2013, 10:59:32 pm »

Some years ago, in the fortress of Lovearmors, I had a dwarf who took what seemed like a very minor injury; he had minor damage to one eye. However, he soon became the most crippled dwarf in the fort, as every once in a while he would flop on his face, unconscious. I guess he was having seizures or something... Many other dwarves had injuries that left them bedridden for the remainder of their lives. Such was the state of the doctoring system at that point in development...

In an even older fort, Finger the Anus of Horses (which I so lovingly named out of spite for the goblins that killed my last fort), there came the day it was to die; the entire population was dead, except a single fisherdwarf. He was completely unharmed, and working diligently, until a goblin ambush showed up. Screwed, was he.

With the advent of functioning heathcare systems, survivors of such poor circumstances are usually better off. However, I did have a couple dwarves who permanently lost the use of both their arms. One of them was a mother, who constantly spammed me about being unable to pickup her baby.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 08:38:57 am »

I had my champions brain smashed by a modded creature from Masterwork.

Suprisingly, Champion Birdwig survived the brain crushing. I didn't get to see him recover though, as the fort was already dying to framerate issues...

Still, Braincrushing is probably not something he would have recovered from!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Bhargo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 04:19:40 am »

Right foot gone, lower left leg gone, left hand gone, all fingers on right hand broken, right arm cut and bleeding, trailing guts, punctured lung, cut arteries in the chest and neck, fractured skull.

That guy somehow survived, ended up dying of thirst in the hospital about a year later.

Although my favorite, though not too extensive injury, was a guard captain who lost an arm to a cave ogre, and after the fight took it to the refuse pile then continued his training exercise. The guy went on to kill 2 forgotten beasts and a hydra, I guess nobody told him it was his arm he found.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2013, 08:03:57 am »

I had a dwarf that was missing his brain. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

In fact, he's worse than dead - his brain is gone!

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2013, 08:44:23 am »

I have a recent survivor who may fit the criterion.

A kid fell 20 z-levels down a staircase. I'm pretty sure it was because of his unwise deconstruction of a down staircase, at the top of a flight of up/down staircases.

He died, after colliding with an obstacle. The obstacle was another kid, Urist McItriedtocatchhim. Multiple injuries ensued, culminating in a half-year stay in hospital undergoing a string of medical procedures. He's back on his feet, no sensory nerve damage - tough little blighter. He's really screwed now, though...

Because this little incident brought him to the attention of the Draft Board, who have noticed that alongside being tough and 'getting used to tragedy', he also has a sense of duty and respect for authority and tradition. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4