Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Limiting my Internets?  (Read 3722 times)

FoboslC

Re: Limiting my Internets?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 06:57:00 pm »

Get an ISP who dont cheat you off: Your line is unstable. Call technicians, they should fix that.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 07:04:25 pm »

Well, i explained in my first post, that i have phoned them, and it turns out that my modems too old to handle my connection... the poor thing. So they're sending me a new one. What i originally asked was if there was a work around to limit my internet so my modem doesn't crash. My first post explains it allll.

And don't ever diss Virgin media. They'd own your ISP in fight hands down. They upgraded us free from a 4Mb to a 10Mb. And to get the 20Mb connection you only need to pay an extra 20 quid, (which also comes with a fuck load more TV channels). And they're working on rolling out a 50Mb (yes 50) for everyone in the UK in a few years.

FoboslC

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 07:07:29 pm »

Dont care. I had 78mbit, fo 23$. I dipped it for unlimited tho - 35Gb  wasnt enough :(

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 09:01:16 pm »

several years ago i read about a way to go into windows' modem settings and add a command to the modem init string (or something like that, i forget exactly what it was called) that allowed you to control the modem's top speed. the idea was actually to increase it from the default, but it should work the other way around too.

try looking up "modem AT commands".
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 03:11:19 am »

And don't ever diss Virgin media.
You sir, should probably read up a bit on virgin media. Maybe they'd own something or other, but that doesnt make them any better. (short version: they're evil, several sources indicate they're run by the devil himself)

But yeah, no-one know any work arounds at all?
Gave you plenty in post #2. Get rid of that unjustified fear of freeware and try something that has a legit feel, shit, just get somehting open source (protip: google "opensource traffic shaper"), and you should be good. You can always mess around in windows intestines, but I'd rather try it that way.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:13:49 am by Puck »

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 11:47:35 am »

Maybe I don't understand you properly, but I feel the urge to say "bandwidth" is just nerdspeak for "speed".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_bandwidth

Wait, what do you mean? I aint telling them I haev a 56k cause... that will take for EVER to download anything.
I just picked 56k as an example. As in "when you tell steam what kind of connection you use, does it change its behaviour?"
And since the answer seems to be "no", I wonder why those settings even exist...

That's bandwidth per second. Which is, speed. But when people discuss bandwidth, they usually mean how much their ISP allocates them monthly.

I'm on an unlimited bandwidth plan. I think I should pirate more... I'm using barely any bandwidth.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 11:57:55 am »

You could unplug your modem when you're not using it. To prevent your comp from looking up updates when it gets bored. I don't see why anyone would make a bandwidth limiter. Limiting yourself to 10 MB a day is no different than being limited to 300 MB a month.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 01:19:58 pm »

That's bandwidth per second. Which is, speed. But when people discuss bandwidth, they usually mean how much their ISP allocates them monthly.
We call that "monthly download volume/limit" over here, I guess.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 08:58:40 pm »

You sir, should probably read up a bit on virgin media. Maybe they'd own something or other, but that doesnt make them any better. (short version: they're evil, several sources indicate they're run by the devil himself)

Gave you plenty in post #2. Get rid of that unjustified fear of freeware and try something that has a legit feel, shit, just get somehting open source (protip: google "opensource traffic shaper"), and you should be good. You can always mess around in windows intestines, but I'd rather try it that way.

Mmm... Virgin. I love that company.

A few months back, Richard Branson, the CEO and owner of Virgin group made an announcement of something like $5 million reward for anyone who can find a way to solve global warming. That was genius because of several factors:
1. Virgin companies (read: Virgin Air) are frequently the worst perpetrators in terms of resource efficiency, being all about user satisfaction. To that end, the use more resources (gas, air, water) per person served than anyone else. In other words, they use all the resources they have the worst.
2. Whoever finds the practical solution to global warming is definitely in line to earn way, way more than $5 million...
3. The amount of publicity Virgin recieves from this is way much more than $5 million that will probably never be given out. In essense, they managed to make themselves look like a healthy, caring, and green company with no cost whatsoever. Also, should anyone actually manage to find a solution, $5 million is nothing compared to the publicity they get when Richard Branson stands on stage and hands the cheque to the man.

Genius corporation.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 10:05:59 pm »

If he would meant speed, hed use either mb/s or, megabit
Um, he did use Megabit.
Mb is short for megabit, while MB is short for megabyte.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 11:54:53 pm »

Mmm... Virgin. I love that company.

A few months back, Richard Branson, the CEO and owner of Virgin group made an announcement of something like $5 million reward for anyone who can find a way to solve global warming. That was genius because of several factors:
1. Virgin companies (read: Virgin Air) are frequently the worst perpetrators in terms of resource efficiency, being all about user satisfaction. To that end, the use more resources (gas, air, water) per person served than anyone else. In other words, they use all the resources they have the worst.
2. Whoever finds the practical solution to global warming is definitely in line to earn way, way more than $5 million...
3. The amount of publicity Virgin recieves from this is way much more than $5 million that will probably never be given out. In essense, they managed to make themselves look like a healthy, caring, and green company with no cost whatsoever. Also, should anyone actually manage to find a solution, $5 million is nothing compared to the publicity they get when Richard Branson stands on stage and hands the cheque to the man.

Genius corporation.

They rock.
Shoes...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 04:11:46 am »

No, that would be bandarea.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 09:23:06 am »

Blurg, technicalities people!
Yeah, I have to admit that virgin are a bit crazy... they're like the blue sun group from Firefly, they are acctually everywhere and everything I touch. It doesn't matter now i'll just have to wait for like ages for my new modem... damned easter weekends!

And yes, virgin are evil, but their tv/phone/internet packages are to die for!
Pages: 1 [2]