Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Limiting my Internets?  (Read 3729 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Limiting my Internets?
« on: April 09, 2009, 08:41:45 am »

I know this sounds weird and all, but is there anyway to limit the bandwidth through my modem at all?

I've been having problems with internet for some while (people on steam will confirm that) where my internet after reaching a peak of bandwidth cuts out. I've had my suspiscions for some time now that it was something to do with the free upgrade to 10Mb we had. So I phoned them a few weeks ago, and the guy said it was a problem with the service in our area. Nothing got fixed. I phoned again today, and it turns out that my modem is super duper old and doesn't like anything over 4Mb. So I gotta wait 5 business days, or a week because of the weekend coming up, and i reaally want to download some BF2's i purchased last night. But the EA download manager (curse them) insists on taking full advantage of my internets possible bandwidth, and crashes my modem. Constantly.

(If there is no solution to the above is there any way to limit the download speed for the EA download manager?)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Limiting my Internets?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:44:27 am »

Ida kno I killed 20 secs of boredom with google,
maybe it helps?

If it doesn't, maybe google "traffic shaper" or sumsuch

Another 20 secs of boredom just struck me
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 09:22:29 am by Puck »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:24:26 am »

Hmm, those two look a bit shifty... I was looking for work around without downloading anything.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 09:31:54 am »

Most freeware looks a bit shifty, doesnt it?

Seriously you can always check out some reviews for the software, and since I dont know anything about the EA Download Manager (I try to avoid that thing like the plague, moreso than EA games themselves. And yes, I have Battlefield 2) I cant tell you whether or not you can tell it to limit the bandwidth it uses.

You SHOULD be able to, but wtf, this is EA, I wouldnt be surprised if you agreed to give them your firstborn for satanic rituals when you clicked the accept button under the EULA.

Anyways, read some reviews, get a feel for something you can trust. Or maybe just go to one of those major, trusted download sites (ida know, maybe softpedia?) and search for "traffic shaper" there. I believe you will need 3rd party software to get that limiting done properly. Otherwise you might accidentially dip over your limit and break the connection yet again.

Another piece of advice: If you download BF2 in it's normal state, like the one you get on disc, it might be smart to start downloading the 1.41 patch right away, since this thing is rather huge. Same with the only mod that makes bf2 actually playable for my taste: project reality  ;)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 04:30:50 pm »

Yeah a friend was saying that makes it playable. I'll check it out and all.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 06:11:58 pm »

Curse Steam and their 'effeciency'.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 07:21:10 pm »

Sadly I have the same problem with steam.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 08:16:42 am »

If you tell steam, you have a 56k modem, does it still hog the whole line?

FoboslC

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 09:10:58 am »

Yes it does. Also, what the heck, 10 mb? Im sorry, but BF2 is 2.6 GB, with 461 MB patch. It will take ages to download it on  your dial-up. Literally, ages. A year, or maybe more.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 09:24:36 am »

Wait, what do you mean? I aint telling them I haev a 56k cause... that will take for EVER to download anything.

FoboslC

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 09:28:18 am »

You took a free upgrade to a limit of 10 MB per month?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 10:06:32 am »

*facepalm*

That's SPEED. 10 Megabits per second! Not bandwidth!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

FoboslC

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 10:25:30 am »

*sighs*
I belive, since he talks about BANDWITH here, he meant BANDWITh. If he would meant speed, hed use either mb/s or, megabit, but not MB which measures SIZE.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 12:36:25 pm »

Maybe I don't understand you properly, but I feel the urge to say "bandwidth" is just nerdspeak for "speed".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_bandwidth

Wait, what do you mean? I aint telling them I haev a 56k cause... that will take for EVER to download anything.
I just picked 56k as an example. As in "when you tell steam what kind of connection you use, does it change its behaviour?"
And since the answer seems to be "no", I wonder why those settings even exist...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:38:24 pm by Puck »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 06:51:59 pm »

I'm just guessing for good ol' statistics maybe. But i noticed no difference.

But yeah, I thought most people would understand what i meant by 10Mb connection... cause... its megabit not megabyte... These technicallities cause alot of problems. The good ol' interservice providers use it to trick people i believe.

But yeah, no-one know any work arounds at all?
Pages: [1] 2