Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: MRTQ- Knights & Knaves: Challenge Phase 3  (Read 28064 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MRTQ- Knights & Knaves: Challenge Phase 3
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:56:11 am »

MRTQ (Mafia Role To Quest) is an unholy fusion of Mafia, RTD, and questing.
I had a plan, but Solifuge totally came up with a better system...
Quote from: Solifuge
Spoiler: GAME OVERVIEW (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stuff about roles (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sample Challenge Phase (click to show/hide)
So, sounds good?
Great. You can start joining.
Peoples who have joined
  • Pandarsenic
  • inaluct
  • org
  • Emperor
  • Karlito
  • Frelock
  • bob_smith

If you're interested for whatever reason, the original post:
Quote from: Old post
Spoiler: Old post (click to show/hide)
GM (to P1):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GM (To P2):
GM (To P3):
Spoiler: Old post Night skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Old post Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Old post Alignments (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:14:00 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

CloisteredSyrups

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MRTQ (Mafia Role To Quest): Under construction.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 07:11:38 am »

Discuss: Holy carp awesome.

Suggest: I would not suggest making the skills/attributes and such too complicated, the action/suspense of the game gives automatic depth.

Modify: I can't think of any specific thing.

Don't join yet:  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Wolves tore off my adventurer's limbs, and you are reminded of pokemon?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 02:00:43 pm »

I abandoned the old thread since I have too much on my hands right now.
You're on your own, buddy.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:44:25 pm »

I can help.

But I have no Ideas yet.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 05:17:07 pm »

NUKE!
GOTTA KEEP THIS GOING!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 05:39:48 pm »

If I am going to launch a new Mafia game, I'm seriously considering letting somebody else host Alien Mafia and end up doing RTQ. I even got a simplistic way to handle quests.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 05:40:16 pm »

The idea sounds awesome, if well-executed! This is veering more towards a collaborative/competitive RPG than any of the component games it is coming from, though... keep that in mind when designing it; the largest focus of the game is the elements of suspicion/paranoia/deception created by the players!

I'm working on a refined version of the rules to propose to you, but for now, here's a few ideas:

GAME OVERVIEW:
After everyone chooses their skills and such, divide players into 2 groups: Knights, and Knaves. Knights only know their own role, and must learn who they can trust, whereas Knaves all know one another. Each Round is composed of a single Quest issued by the King. The Knights have a certain number of days to complete this Quest by, and the Knaves are trying to prevent them from succeeding.

During each day, the players will be faced by a Challenge that stands in the way of their Quest. Knights must work together to overcome the Challenge, while the Knaves must try their best to thwart the Knight's efforts, without revealing themselves. Players can publicly work out a strategy for beating the Challenge, or work in silence at their own discretion, but in the end, players must PM their actions in secret to the Game Master. When all players have chosen actions, or when the time limit is up, the GM sends players the results of their actions, followed by the story of what everyone sees happen.

After the day of questing is done, the Knights and Knaves gather in their Camp, to discuss the day. Players who feel suspicious of another player, or who have evidence that another is a Knave may vote against them. If a majority is reached before the end of the Camp phase, the player will be Executed as a traitor. To help the Knights uncover the Knaves, many have access to special abilities that can uncover traitorous actions during the day, etc.

For each Knave executed, and for each Challenge they beat, the Knights earn Victory Points. Conversely, for each innocent Knight who is executed, and for each Challenge failure, they lose a Victory Point. When players accumulate enough Victory Points in their quest, they advance to the final Challenge of the quest. This is the final test of the Knight's mettle, and the last chance any remaining Knaves have to thwart them.

If the Knights succeed in the Final Challenge and complete their quest before time is up, the Knights are victorious. If the Knaves equal or outnumber the Knights, or too many days have passed, the Knaves are victorious.

HOW I ROLL DISE?
As in Roll-To-Dodge, Success and Failure is determined by chance.:
[11-14] An Over-Success is a victory so great that it has unexpected side-effects.
[9-10] A Major Success achieves the best possible result of the roll.
[7-8] A Success achieves the minimum of your goal.
[5-6] A Failure is the least bad outcome of losing.
[3-4] A Major Failure is the worst possible outcome of losing.
[0-2] An Over-Failure is a loss so bad that it succeeds in doing something else entirely.

When you make a character, pick how skilled you are at different sorts of tasks. Skills come from a specific list, and could include things like Strength, Fighting, Athletics, Sneaking, Speech, Searching, and more.

Here are the training levels, and how they affect your Skill Rolls.
UNTRAINED: If you're not trained in a skill, you roll ([1d6]x2)-2. You have random successes in this category, with lower chances of Over-Success, and higher chances of Over-Failure.
NOVICE: If you're a novice in a skill, you roll [1d6]x2. You have the most random results in this category.
ADEPT: If you're an adept in a skill, you roll [2d6]. You have consistent successes and failures, with lower odds of Overdoing a skill.
MASTER: If you're a master in a skill, you roll [2d6]+2. You have consistent successes, with lower chances of Over-Failure, and higher chances of Over-Success.

*All Role-Powers are automatically treated as Adept Skills, and roll [2d6].
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:26:39 pm by Solifuge »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 07:54:20 pm »

Sample Roles:
Knight: You are charged with a Quest by your king, and seek to complete it.
You win when the Quest is completed.
You lose when Knaves equal or outnumber Knights, or if the Quest is not complete before time is up.

Unique Knights: (max 1 of each)
Squire: You are pretending to be a Knight, in order to Quest for the King himself. However, your knighthood is a lie, and if you are scryed, you will appear to be a Knave.
White Knight: You uphold your goals in the highest, and consider failure intolerable. Each of your successes are worth 2 VP, and each of your failures cost your comrades 2 VP.
Hospitalier: You seek to protect those who cannot protect themselves. Once per day during a Challenge phase, you may choose to use your action to Aid another player, protecting them from death due to a Lethal Failure.
Spoiler: Aid Results (click to show/hide)
Paladin: Blessed by the Powers-That-Be, you have prophetic visions. During the Camp Phase, you can focus on a player, and receive a vision of what they really did during the Challenge Phase.
Spoiler: Scrying Results (click to show/hide)

Knave: You seek to thwart the Knights in their Quest.
You win when you outnumber living Knights, or if the Knights don't succeed in their Quest in time.
You lose when the Knights complete the Quest.

Unique Knaves: (max 1 of each)
Fallen Knight: Once a knight, you have since lost your position, and turned to a life of knavery. You still have the noble bearing of a Knight, and show up as one if scryed.
Black Knight: You are a dark-hearted scoundrel, and even when you succeed a Challenge, it gets the Knights no closer to completing their Quest. Your Successes are worth no VP.
Warlock: Your curses can foul even the best of plans, and can turn success into failure. During the Camp Phase, you choose a player to Curse: the curse stays in effect until the next Camp Phase.
Spoiler: Curse Results (click to show/hide)
Assassin: You see nothing wrong with murdering others to achieve your ends. During any Challenge Phase, you can make a special attack against another player, attempting to secretly kill them.
Spoiler: Assassination Results (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:49:58 pm by Solifuge »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 10:43:01 pm »

Sample Challenge Phase:
You embark from your camp and journey down the mountain road. Soon, you see the great wooden gate of the Dark Fortress, situated in the middle of a 20-foot tall stone wall. A mighty Half-Giant stands imposingly in front of the gate, wielding a Greatclub made from a fallen tree. The gatehouse that controls the Gate sits atop the high wall, guarded by pikemen. and it must be reached to open the gate.

Today's Challenge is to Enter the Dark Fortress. Obvious actions are:
1) Fight the Half-Giant Guard
2) Climb the Wall
3) Defeat the Pikemen Guarding the Gatehouse
4) Open the Gate

◘ First, players propose actions and ways to tackle the challenge in public. Knaves will want to have a good a cover story if they're going to try to thwart the Knights during the Challenge.

P1 (Knight): I'll fight the Half-Giant.
P2 (Knight <Hospitalier>): P1 might need backup, so I'll help him fight the Half-Giant.
P3 (Knave <Assassin>): I'm no good at fighting, so how about me and someone else climb the wall and try for the gatehouse?
P4 (Knight): I can't climb well. How about I just shoot the Pikemen with my bow?
P3 (Knave <Assassin>): If I climb the wall, and you shoot up there, you could hit me... or miss, and the Pikemen will kill me. How about I climb the wall and throw a rope down for you, and then you take out the guards?
P4 (Knight): Okay, fair enough.
P5 (Knight <Paladin>): If P1 and P2 can't beat the giant, I've got an idea for something that might work.

◘ After players discuss how they'll tackle the challenge, they declare their Actions in private to the GM:

P1: I attack the Half-Giant with my sword.
P2: I use my Hospitalier Power to Protect P2, in case he loses against the Half-Giant.
P3: I climb the wall, and throw a rope down for P4, but I'm going to pour oil on the rope so he slips, using my Assassin Power to cover it up.
P4: If P3 makes it up and drops the rope, I climb it. If he doesn't, I'll shoot at the Pikemen with my bow.
P5: I want to use my Speech skill to convince the Half-Giant to smash the door down for us.

◘ The GM then posts the results of the actions:

Spoiler: P2: Protect P1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: P3: Assassinate P4 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: P4: Climb Rope (click to show/hide)

◘ The GM then makes a public report of what happened in the Challenge:

As P3 and P4 run up to the wall, P1, P2, and P5 approach the Half-Giant. P1 makes a valiant stand against him, charging into the fray... but their battle was a short one, as the giant managed to club him into unconsciousness with a single blow. Soon after, P5 approached the giant, and appeared to somehow convince him to charge the wooden gate, which he did with much gusto. The half-giant's headlong charge shattered the gate into splinters, but also seems to have shattered his skull. Ah well, such is life.

With the gate breached, you all prepare to give a cheer, only to notice that P4 was still in the midst of scaling the wall. P3's hand reached down to grasp P4's, but it came too late... P4 lost his grip, and plummeted backwards to the ground below, hitting it with a sickening crunch.

You return to camp, finding P1 laying near the fire, his wounds bandaged up. You deliver the day's tale of mixed success, and settle in for the evening, mulling over the loss of a brave Knight.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 03:43:10 am »

Wow.
Brilliant.
It's a lot simpler too. When do we start?
Long Live United Forenia!

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 04:37:22 am »

I've got nothing much to contribute, but both sound awesome.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 04:56:21 am »

I want in on this so much.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

CloisteredSyrups

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 04:58:02 am »

One concern....

Inbetween the player's privately giving their actions to the GM, and the GM publicly posting the results of the challenge...

P4: Climb Rope
Success
P3 throws the rope down to you, and using it, you climb up the wall carefully. You try not to look down, but the rattle of a loose stone pulls your gaze earthward, and you find yourself dangling nearly 20 feet above the ground. Nevertheless, you press onward, throwing hand after hand upward in hopes that you'll get to the top of the wall soon. As your hand clamps down on the final foot of rope, it grasps something slick and you lose your grip, and begin to plummet backwards. Just as you begin to wonder why P3 would have greased the top of the rope, you crash into the ground, and everything goes black.

Is this in a private message back to the respective players?

If so, then the message given to the doomed player 4 makes it very clear to that player that P3 is an assassin, despite the roll stating that noone was the wiser...

Thereupon P3 is persecuted by a probably-illegal post by P4
:(
Wolves tore off my adventurer's limbs, and you are reminded of pokemon?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 05:04:00 am »

Simple solution: If Player 4 posts illegally, he's banned from MRTQ. Forever.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 05:14:23 am »

So want on this too.

And whoever posts something like that is a bitch and a sore loser.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21