Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sanity Cheating (Creature_Domestic.txt)  (Read 3452 times)

Sanity Cheating (Creature_Domestic.txt)
« on: April 09, 2009, 01:54:15 am »

Alright, we all know that losing is fun. When, in an attempt to create a well, I accidentally overdig and I fill my one magma pool with water - hey, tough cookie, I learned something and it was funny. When goblin ambushers surround my fisherdwarf, who flees directly into a pit where I am storing the previous squads of goblins, well, there are lamer ways to die, and his sacrifice gave away their location.

Two things just drive me nuts, though, and feel more like "homework" than "fun" or "challenge". Keeping the cat population down, and keeping my dwarves from being eaten by Pike. If I give cats LITTERSIZE:0:0, will that prevent them from breeding further, effectively making them like mules? If not, is there another way to prevent kittens?

Secondly, is there a way to ensure that all dangerous fish are incapable of spawning, or at least will die instantly when they do spawn? I saw another thread where a guy gimped orcs by giving them no :BRAIN: body part, but I've removed the heart and brain from Pikes in the raws, and they seem unaffected. I'd happily kill them legitimately, were it possible, but the three pikes in the river have eaten both of my fisherdwarves, a Marksdwarf, and a Legendary Wrestler. I know the deadliness of fish is supposed to be hilarious, but that kind of invincibility hardly seems like intended behavior or fun.

Not to be completely negative; I love this game! Those two things are really starting to frustrate me, though, and take the fun out of the working day.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Sanity Cheating (Creature_Domestic.txt)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 02:06:31 am »

1. Remove the entire littersize tag, and they should not be able to breed. Thus why some megabeasts cannot be bred, because they lack the relevant tag.

2. Remove their ability to breathe water. I don't remember the tag, but suddenly forgetting how to breathe water should kill 'em off.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 02:09:04 am »

Don't know about the litter size thing. Though I'm fairly sure that you should clear the data/object folder first before reloading the game. I believe you might have to re-gen for the organ removal to work, but couldn't hurt to just clear the  /object first  ;D

As for preventing kittens, kill every one of them that gets born, and trap the one that's adopted behind some doors in a room that's full of lever-driven spikes?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 02:12:15 am »

Duke: they don't innately have a littersize tag. These look to be the only kitten-related tags:
[CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:kitten:kittens]
Think I should remove those?
Suggestion 2: sneaky! I like it.

Tetty: I changed "dogs" to "doggies" (singular form, as well) so that I could visibly determine whether or not my changes had taken effect. Dogs are indeed Doggies, now, so the other changes to the raws should also be in place.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 02:17:14 am »

Remember: Changes to tags need DF to restart to take effect. Adding and removing entities require a new world to be generated.

And yes, all child-related tags must be destroyed.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 02:32:05 am »

Remember: Changes to tags need DF to restart to take effect. Adding and removing entities require a new world to be generated.

And yes, all child-related tags must be destroyed.
I'll let everyone know, in a few seasons, if removing those did the trick. It seems strange that littersize isn't even part of the creature's tag list; perhaps that's an outdated tag, no longer in use? Thanks for reminding me to restart; on this computer, however, it's impossible to do almost anything else while DF is running.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 02:46:52 am »

Littersize is a relevant tag, and can be used for creating creatures that give birth to say... 7 babies at every birth or stuff like that. It just happens that the majority of creatures use the default littersize, which is something of 1-4ish.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 03:17:19 am »

Littersize is a relevant tag, and can be used for creating creatures that give birth to say... 7 babies at every birth or stuff like that. It just happens that the majority of creatures use the default littersize, which is something of 1-4ish.
That sounds like a fun tag to play with. Do enemy civs properly keep track of births/deaths to determine their population size and/or how many ambushers/siegers they can afford to throw at you? Lag notwithstanding, several hundred attackers certainly sounds like Fun.

Or even do it to your own dwarves, right from the starting gates. Not sure whether that would net a beneficial effect or a challenging one. On the one hand, it's free population, but on the other hand, for a recently-started fortress, 50 children running around, eating and drinking while 20 adult dwarves try to build the fort and maintain foodstocks...

Anyway, if littersize is a relevant tag, I think I'll set it to 0:0 just in case, in addition to deleting those other two tags.

Thanks for all the thorough advice. I was especially surprised to see Duke taking the extra moment to make sure I was aware of situations where a new world need to be generated.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 03:27:48 am »

change the child tag to an very high number, kittens dont reproduce and if they dont do it every year you get the thing better under control
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 07:31:19 am »

My attempt at a fix for the cat problem was to add [POPULATION_NUMBER:0:10] to the cat entry. Not sure if that will work but I'm hoping it will limit cats to a maximum of 10 on the map.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 07:38:19 am »

Instead of removing/killing the fish altogether, would you consider weakening their attacks? I heard somewhere that Toady gave the fish creatures a default bite attack, which is fairly powerful. 1-6, if I remember correctly. Maybe they'd lose their "ub0r-ness" if you changed it down to 1-1. Probably easier to just remove 'em, or take out their brains, though. I think it's going to be fixed the the next version, anyways.

At the moment, I think the amount of enemy siegers that a civ can throw at you is hard coded at 80. Again, that'll probably be changed in the next version.

Hope that helps :)
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 07:48:28 am »

Remove the [CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:kitten:kittens] tags and they won't breed.  The littersize is just how many.  The population tags won't do anything. 

Removing the attacks from fish won't help.  Your guys jump in to fight or dodge, it's not from the bite attack.  Removing the [AQUATIC] tag or whatever they have should kill them via air-drowning. 

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 08:57:59 am »

That sounds like a fun tag to play with. Do enemy civs properly keep track of births/deaths to determine their population size and/or how many ambushers/siegers they can afford to throw at you? Lag notwithstanding, several hundred attackers certainly sounds like Fun.

Unfortunately, no. The Orc mod played with that a bit, and the siege size is still static. It does help them in worldgen (where they have larger settlements and thus a larger army), but not outside of it.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 10:30:50 am »

Mod dogs to be vermin hunters, and simply don't BRING any cats!

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 10:35:22 am »

Mod dogs to be vermin hunters, and simply don't BRING any cats!

haha such a bad idea. Then you just get a dogsplosion instead?
Pages: [1] 2 3