Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Preventing Cave Adapation  (Read 1771 times)

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
Preventing Cave Adapation
« on: April 08, 2009, 04:29:14 pm »

So I want to prevent it. I have never tried this before, so here is what I think will work please let me know if it will/won't work. I am producing green glass blocks to build a floor over channeled out room(meeting area) to let in light.

Is there a better/easier way?
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Preventing Cave Adapation
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 05:05:44 pm »

It won't prevent cave adaption, Cave adaption has to do with the inside/outside tag from what I know.
The only way to really fight cave adaption is to have a lot of outside areas, but this can also make some areas of the fortress inaccessible, unless you build access tunnels as well.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 05:11:06 pm »

Above ground meeting area (zone)
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 06:01:34 pm »

Dig a hole through the ground into an area that contains statues.
Then designate the statues as meeting areas. Alternately, cut some hallway-spanning strips of earth out above your main hallway, or the hallway between the bedrooms and the food/booze stockpile.

As long as they pass through the area, it should slow or stop cave adaption.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 08:36:28 am »

I dont think there is any problem with flooring over the hole in the ground. No matter what material. Same as with farmplots. you can put a floor over that shaft, and outside crops will still grow there.

The only thing I have to add: make sure it's not an essential pathway/part of the fortress. Because... when you order your dwarves to stay inside, the fortress still has to function, which it wouldnt if... say... your dining room had natural light come in.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 11:17:41 am »

Do stairs allow light to pass through them?

tzler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 07:11:46 pm »

In the future the ability to create mirrors should be implemented, so that you can make a ridiculous array of them that effectively serves as a floodlight and bounces outside light to every corner of your interior.

Or, alternatively, do that thing where you focus all of the mirrors on a single spot to set things on fire. That would be badass.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 07:49:01 pm »

There is going to be, eventually, a method of keeping the fortress illuminated. Be it with torches or mirrors, it will occur. But I would think that cave-adaptation would be a good thing at that point. You won't have to worry about dwarves not being able to see in the dark.
!!&!!

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 07:56:56 pm »

As it is currently implemented once exposed to the outside that square will forever be light, or maybe it was outside. I think it was light anyway. So you can floor over the area again but the area you exposed will still act to prevent cave adaption.

And yes Ive conducted many tests.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 12:42:53 pm »

As it is currently implemented once exposed to the outside that square will forever be light, or maybe it was outside. I think it was light anyway. So you can floor over the area again but the area you exposed will still act to prevent cave adaption.

And yes Ive conducted many tests.
I'm quite sure it's "light", but for all purposes it works as outside, too.

As far as I understand it: if there ever was a clear line of sight directly straight up to the sky, that tile will forever be treated as

) outside when it comes to the "stay inside" order
) above ground when it comes to farming
) whatever prevents cave adaption when it comes to preventing cave adaption

No matter what you build there later. Only exception is probably created obsidian, but I didnt test that.

bubblewrap

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I play sax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 11:06:50 pm »

if you really want to get rid of it, you can always go to the raw folder, go to objects, scroll down to "creature_standard" and the first thing you'll see is the data for dwarves. Find CAVE_ADAPT in there, and simply delete it. Done.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 11:13:03 pm »

Cave adaptation is not the enemy, cave adaptation is your friend, The enemy is the outside, the only acceptable solution is to pave over the sky, and suspend it with one rickety support. A sky that can't fall on you is an abomination that must be dismantled!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 11:30:04 pm »

Instead of all these super tricky ideas... I say you go with the simplest idea possible. Build outside with no roofs. Don't be a wimp and build inside, makes it too easy!
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 04:22:14 pm »

i built an aboveground fortress, and i had no problems. unless a dwarf decides to spend his time in the tombs or in the tsockpiles, i hsouldn't have this kind of problems

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 02:25:11 am »

Cave adaptation is not the enemy, cave adaptation is your friend, The enemy is the outside, the only acceptable solution is to pave over the sky, and suspend it with one rickety support. A sky that can't fall on you is an abomination that must be dismantled!

QFT Might I suggest a giant turtle to hold up the sky-pavement?
Pages: [1] 2