Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambushing megabeast.  (Read 703 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Ambushing megabeast.
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:28:06 am »

So, I made a custom flying, web-shooting megabeast that also had the [AMBUSHPREDATOR] tag. My hope was that when one arrived I would get the "X has come!" message, but then it would become hidden, waiting around to annihilate the civilians that stumbled across it.

My first one arrived last night, completely healthy except for a missing ear. It sat around on its spawn square for awhile, then flew over my perimeter wall and travelled a few more squares. Then it flew up one z-level and just hovered there, fully visible, right by the edge of a murky pool. I kept hoping that it would try to enter the fortress, but it never did. After about a month of game time I finally sent my military after it, and it engaged them and fought as expected once they got close.

So, did the [AMBUSHPREDATOR] tag cause this "sit and wait" behavior? This is fine, except I was expecting it to be invisible like a goblin ambush. Any tips for making it invisible until discovered?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Ambushing megabeast.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 04:15:16 pm »

It could have simply been the bug with flying stuff not pathing correctly.  This happens almost 100% of the time with flying fortress races and happens in wildlife and flying invaders too, just not as often. I doubt it had anything to do with the ambush tag, it was probably just the flying bug.

I honestly don't think anybody ever tried to put that tag on a megabeast though, and if it worked I would imagine it would keep the critter hidden until somebody stumbled into it and then announce.  Since it didn't do that it seems it doesn't check the ambush tag for megabeasts.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!