Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Memory.ini settings for 40d*?  (Read 801 times)

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Memory.ini settings for 40d*?
« on: April 07, 2009, 04:51:42 pm »

I was wondering if anyone has found the memory addresses for 40d11 to work with Reveal (or the equivalent Tweak util)?

I don't know how to find them myself, otherwise I would.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Memory.ini settings for 40d*?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:43:03 pm »

I was wondering if anyone has found the memory addresses for 40d11 to work with Reveal (or the equivalent Tweak util)?

Both standalone Reveal and Tweak need to be updated before they will support the 40d# testing series.  Finding the proper memory addresses would not be enough to get them to work.  (Technical: the Dwarf Fortress executable name changed, and so did the window class.)

Source code is not available, as far as I know, so only the author (Rick) can make the necessary change.  Rick hasn't made a DFWiki edit for six months, so we can assume he's not around.

As a workaround, you can install a copy of both 40d and 40d11.  Then move your savegame into 40d to do your reveal, and move it back to 40d11 to play.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:24:49 am »

Good morning!

Just a little addendum. I've read in other threads that the "enable magma buildings" tweak doesn't work properly if you port your game back. The best strategy is to copy your savegame over to 40d, reveal it, find the magma/pit/river/whatever, and then send exploratory tunnels to "discover" them in your real game. THEN, copy the "discovered" game over and reveal it to your heart's content, then copy back and play.

Rochndil, who also sometimes keeps a revealed copy around in a different save slot...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:23:37 am »

Activating magma buildings doesn't work simply because the game rechecks to see if you should be able to build them when it loads.  It won't destroy any existing ones, but you can't make more.

So the best bet in that regard is to enable them and build them in 40d then port the save over.  Even when yer not using the 40D# versions you have to re-enable magma buildings after save and reload.

P.S. May want to keep a standard forge and glassworks around as well though.  I've noticed that strange moods won't recognise the magma powered workshops if you should not have access to them.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:27:28 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:26:52 am »

I basically just wanted a hint as to where to dig to find magma :-/

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:43:48 pm »

Hello!

That's what I do. I copy the save over to 40d, reveal it, find what I want, and then go back to PLAY in 40d11. However, after you've "discovered" all the things that need discovering (magma, rivers/pools, chasm, HFS) you can reveal the map to your heart's content.

Rochndil, who does, and does not, miss all the "You've struck alunite!" messages...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Akkristor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 12:11:55 am »

I'm having a problem.  whenever i copy a save from 40d11 to 40d, when i try to load it, i get an error  :  "Missing Reaction Definition", and DF closes.

Any info?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 09:56:04 am »

I'm having a problem.  whenever i copy a save from 40d11 to 40d, when i try to load it, i get an error  :  "Missing Reaction Definition", and DF closes.

Any info?

You've modded the game in some way in 40d11, but you haven't carried that mod to 40d as well.