Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New stockpile option, "designated for melting"  (Read 2145 times)

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New stockpile option, "designated for melting"
« on: April 07, 2009, 04:47:52 pm »

The idea is pretty clear. Have a option to create stockpile for melt designated objects. This could be forther divided by material of metal, but it is not mandaroty. stockpile like this around the forge would fill it with the items to melt, allowing faster melting by reducing the dwarfs time to get next option.

In order for this to properly work, I guess when object is melt designated, then it should not be allowed in the old stockpile anymore, so the dwarfs move it to the proper one. Would this be a big problem to implement? Would there be need/desire to see it?
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New stockpile option, "designated for melting"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:57:04 pm »

A simpler solution for this same problem is just to allow "fractional bars" to be carried between smelters, or have a single pool for all smelters. Or maybe, the dwarves collect enough material for one bar all at once, and don't melt until they have enough.
~ T

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:36:31 pm »

I placed my smelter next to the garbage area. I mostly melt goblin armor so ... that takes care of that.

Just gotta remember to reclaim the objects so dwarves actually want to use them.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

creidieki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:49:27 pm »

A simpler solution for this same problem is just to allow "fractional bars" to be carried between smelters

Jadael:   You're addressing a completely different problem.  LordDemon is saying "I want my peasants to waste time carrying things instead of my legendary furnace operator".  You're saying "I want more than one furnace to be able to melt things".

That being said, I second both suggestions.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:04:16 pm »

A simpler solution for this same problem is just to allow "fractional bars" to be carried between smelters

Jadael:   You're addressing a completely different problem.  LordDemon is saying "I want my peasants to waste time carrying things instead of my legendary furnace operator".  You're saying "I want more than one furnace to be able to melt things".

That being said, I second both suggestions.

Hrm, didn't even think of that. I always put my storage room directly above or otherwise near my workshops, so I've never been bothered by this.

Perhaps materials needed for items could look for an idle hauler before the actual worker just decides to do it himself?
~ T

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 03:42:14 am »

Perhaps materials needed for items could look for an idle hauler before the actual worker just decides to do it himself?
But wouldn't you still beforced to wait untill the hauler brings the item?

My main idea was that you could assign stuff like old/poor armor to be melted, and the dwarfs would remove this armor from your armor stockpile on the othersidee of the fort, and bring it to your "stuff to be melted" stockpile right next to the furnace. Then when the furnace operator arrives, the stuff he has to work with is right next to him so he won't have to fetch it from afar.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 09:43:56 am »

I do this by micromanaging stockpile options, but it would be nice to have one that is only for [M]elt items.  I would also like to add a request for a stockpile for items marked for [T]rade, if that option ever gets implemented.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur