Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Some degree of intelligence  (Read 2280 times)

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some degree of intelligence
« on: April 07, 2009, 04:40:01 pm »

This may have been suggested. I'm suggesting it again.
Dwarves don't have to be geniuses, but they should be able to discern a couple of things.
Things like:
If I put this wall here, am I going to be able to get out of this room?
If I remove this floor panel, is the one I'm standing on going to fall into the volcano I am standing above?

And the like.
Nothing major, but just some form of self preservation would be kind of nice.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some degree of intelligence
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:52:15 pm »

If you think the pathfinding eats up CPU now, just wait until they're calculating future projections before they actually happen in game.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 05:45:26 pm »

Dwarves shouldn't do all the think-work for the player. It's up to us to carefully micromanage everything, down to the way they lace their boots and braid their beards. As such, I think it's a good idea to make dwarves have only one piece of intelligence added: knowledge of fire. They should still freak out, but they shouldn't try to rest. They should take the quickest path to a water source, even if it's the uncleared cave river.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:31:43 pm »

Rule of thumb: dwarves love to stand on the wrong fucking side of whatever you're building. You should keep this in mind.

They're pretty much filthy, drunken lemmings.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:36:27 pm »

Dwarves shouldn't do all the think-work for the player. It's up to us to carefully micromanage everything, down to the way they lace their boots and braid their beards.

The fact you don't actually control your dwarves pokes a hole in this theory.

I like DF because the player is more of a supervisor than a god. Compare it to The Sims, for examples.
~ T

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 06:42:35 pm »

at the very least there aught to be the option when building/deconstructing something to say "build from north" with perhaps the wasd keys, which would be optional to use but available. the current way of setting up a wall to be built and then suspending it to say 'dont stand here you idiot' is clumsy, slow, and not always effective (can't do it if there's already a non-wall something there)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 02:21:07 pm »

I'm fairly certain the thing the OP is suggesting is already intended to be fixed.  There is a search box at the top of the forum, and you can use ctrl + f for the dev and bug pages.

As a side note, lemmings can swim.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 03:31:50 pm »

Yeah, I'm going to go with, "After pathfinding is multithreaded", which may mean never.  Things are slow as is.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 03:40:15 pm »

+1 internets for the title of the suggestion. Clearly, toady intends to clean up some of the dwarfs stupidity as soon as it's practical (in terms of fps eaten and general progress in things he considers more important). But I somehow get the feeling they will always build from the wrong side. Just to make us rage.

Edit:
at the very least there aught to be the option when building/deconstructing something to say "build from north" with perhaps the wasd keys, which would be optional to use but available. the current way of setting up a wall to be built and then suspending it to say 'dont stand here you idiot' is clumsy, slow, and not always effective (can't do it if there's already a non-wall something there)
OK, actually this is a really good idea. I'm hijacking the thread to find out if this is planned.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 03:42:55 pm by kinseti »

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 03:04:00 am »

I dream of the day when the release notes says:
Dwarfs now know that fire is bad.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 03:31:37 am »

Your right, although a dorfs swimming skill maybe 0, it should have some kind of instinctive swimming action to atleast keep itself afloat. Dogs can swim without having to be taught.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 03:47:43 am »

Your right, although a dorfs swimming skill maybe 0, it should have some kind of instinctive swimming action to atleast keep itself afloat. Dogs can swim without having to be taught.

Well, in some instances they seem to drown in situations they should easily be able to climb out of.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 08:22:26 pm »

Dogs are built for it.  People are pretty bad at it.  Humans drown ALL THE TIME, it's one of the most common causes of accidental death.

And dwarves are surely denser than humans.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 10:16:47 pm »

New noble: Naval Drill Sergeant.

The Naval Drill Sergeant will make himself useful, he demands incredibly much, such as a legendary office, masterwork cabinets and the like. He will spend his time teaching swimming to the dwarves in his office or sparring with the troops. Be warned that he is a strict Noble who can and will injur and kill troops during sparring and may launch himself into combat when Sieges or ambushes present themselves.

Your NDS might therefore be shortlived.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 10:27:33 pm »

Ooooh, a self-killing noble.

Nice work.
Pages: [1] 2