Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drowning in Blood  (Read 1185 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Drowning in Blood
« on: April 07, 2009, 03:26:43 pm »

I just had a dwarf die by drowning, but he was on the upper floor of my barracks building.  My only thought is that the same square he died on had a pool of blood on it, as did almost all of the squares near it (horrible, horrible training accident... note to self: don't let legendary axe dwarf spar with the recruits).  Is it possible in DF for a dwarf to drown in his own blood?
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Drowning in Blood
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 03:29:25 pm »

Yes.  Lung injuries often result in the lungs filling with blood and the game labels the death as a drowning.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 03:32:11 pm »

Yes.  Lung injuries often result in the lungs filling with blood and the game labels the death as a drowning.

That's..... awesome.

Although I'd love to know how the poor guy got a lung wound from an axedwarf...

Thanks!
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Lucifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:33:08 pm »

This is the most coolest thing I've ever heard so far... Me so happy now *cries out in tears*
Urist McDwarf: Our magma pressure will blot out the sun!

Pansy Elf: Then we shall hug in the sha- BLLLLLLLARGH!!! MY ARMS!! MY ARMS!! THEY'RE MEEELTING!!!

Carcer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 04:16:26 pm »

Just saying, legendary dwarves are actually safer to train with. Its the newbies who don't know that the pointy end is sharp that are generally the problem.
set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.
Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 04:25:07 pm »

Just saying, legendary dwarves are actually safer to train with. Its the newbies who don't know that the pointy end is sharp that are generally the problem.

From what I understand, the defender's Wrestler determines their ability to dodge, and the attacker's weapon skill determines their ability to hit.  If that is correct, and unless there is a special condition for sparring, this would mean that legendary dwarves are more likely to hit (and hurt, wielding and axe) recruits, than a recruit would be.  Is there a mechanic built in to assist safe sparring (okay, safer)?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 04:30:31 pm »

From what I understand, the defender's Wrestler determines their ability to dodge, and the attacker's weapon skill determines their ability to hit.  If that is correct, and unless there is a special condition for sparring, this would mean that legendary dwarves are more likely to hit (and hurt, wielding and axe) recruits, than a recruit would be.  Is there a mechanic built in to assist safe sparring (okay, safer)?

Yeah, there is a mechanic.  When sparring, dwarves attempt to make a sparring hit as opposed to a full-force hit.  Their chance of succeeding increases with their skill with the weapon.  So legendaries using their preferred weapon are incredibly safe to spar with.  However, legendaries with an unfamiliar weapon are deadly due to clumsiness combined with superdwarvenly everything attributes.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 05:15:00 pm »

Yeah, there is a mechanic.  When sparring, dwarves attempt to make a sparring hit as opposed to a full-force hit.  Their chance of succeeding increases with their skill with the weapon.  So legendaries using their preferred weapon are incredibly safe to spar with.  However, legendaries with an unfamiliar weapon are deadly due to clumsiness combined with superdwarvenly everything attributes.

That's good to know, thanks!  Either way, I've started taking a bit more caution with my sparring, as this is the second death, with the first a suffocation due to a new dwarf jamming a spear through the chest of the other...

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 05:29:29 pm »

That's good to know, thanks!  Either way, I've started taking a bit more caution with my sparring, as this is the second death, with the first a suffocation due to a new dwarf jamming a spear through the chest of the other...

Spears are notoriously dangerous to train in, many people avoid em altogether. They certainly are awesome though :D
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 05:42:50 pm »

Spears are notoriously dangerous to train in, many people avoid em altogether. They certainly are awesome though :D

They're also dangerous to bring to battle. Spears have the highest stick chance out of any weapon, so your champion speardwarf gets one or two good charges, then is reduced to being a mere wrestler.

Not that wrestlers are bad, I use them all the time. The problem is dwarf mode soldiers favor twisting stuck weapons over doing anything productive.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 06:48:44 pm »

My experience in this takes me back to an old fortress I had ...

At first the recruits hurt eachother. The reason was because they sparred with iron swords and no armor. I gave them armor and sparring accidents dropped ... and then in the course of 2 years I had 2 dwarves killed and 1 bedwarmer.

The culprit was a legendary guard whom I recruited because he was such a badass. We're talking bottled up rage here... I don't know if that had anything to do with it though. (I don't know for certain he incapacitated the survivor, I just know he probably did given his history)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.