Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A little rusty...  (Read 2884 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
A little rusty...
« on: April 07, 2009, 02:44:57 pm »

So, as anyone knows, it's been a while since I wrote something.  Since I've got a while left of Easter vacation and things are going a little slow right now (DoomRL: *This* guy will make it!  ...   I HATE CACODEMONS), I figured I could try and burn some time by writing a short story. 

As the topic shows, however, I haven't been oiling my creative gears all that much...  As such, this is going to be a painful and most likely fruitless project.  But that hasn't really stopped me before (hell, it seems to be the only thing I do these days).

Now, this could go two ways.  One, somebody comes in here and gives me an interesting basis for a short story (or a scene from a story...  That might actually be easier).  Two, enough people poke me to start up DnG again.

So, yeah.  I feel the need to exercise one of my more positive abilities.  That, and I'm bored.  Come one, come all.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: A little rusty...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:55:06 pm »

Do turtles live longer, or does it just take them longer to live?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:08:03 am »

Uhh...  Is that it?  I really don't think I can work with that...  Only by stretching it very, very thin in the most metaphorical sense, and then it would need to be a bit long in order to fully establish that moral (because that's really more of a "moral" than a basis...).

So, is that all the response?  Well, I suppose y'all have enough storytellers as it is right now.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:55:08 pm »

Is it wrong to kill someone that has killed others?

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 02:57:58 pm »

woose1's seems to be the best.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 03:00:16 pm by Okenido »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 03:22:45 pm »

It's still a moral though...  Damn hard to work off of.  I'm not good at morals, I just describe situations...  Anybody have a setting or a bare-bones event type that they'd like butchered by my own interpretation?

I can try and see what I can do with just a moral, but I'm a pansy who's out of practice...   Want something easier...

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 03:34:36 pm »

You're a retired cop

No.

You're a 14 year old girl, living near DC. Your mother is crazy over this house that you have been living in your whole life, and it even has a dock, leading out to a big old lake.
However, you think something evil lives out in the lake... like a giant lobster who
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How about that?

EDIT: The lake is salt-water. YES I KNOW IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:09:03 pm by woose1 »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 04:05:55 pm »

Typical DC to not have a single friggin' lake in it...  Just a reservoir.

But it's got river access.  Can use that.  Now, to find a residential district that can work...

Damn, DC has got ugly houses...

Oh, shite...  You said "near" DC...  Hmm, might actually make things easier...

Right, found a spot.  I think it works...  Just need to do a little more poking, and I should be able to start figuring out how the devil I'm going to write this thing.  This is what you get for mentioning a real, defined location to someone as picky about details as me.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 04:08:25 pm »

Sorry.  :P

Also call it something corny, like "RED DEATH".

EDIT: Oh dear, seems that I spelled "giant" as "gaint".

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 05:04:42 pm »

Or, your a knight living in a small town, who's received a herald proclaiming you to be the blood-son of the most famous templar in the land. You're to go and be trained post-haste in the templar's personal castle. (Yes, I know it's not a modern setting, I find it gives more freedom to work with).
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 05:43:59 pm »

Just place it in Maryland, DC is ugly as hell in the residential districts. And unless you want the character to be a horrible driver, don't place them in Virgina.

Two lakes I can speak for are the lake at Buddy Attick Park(Lots of houses around it, no real docks. Freshwater lake), and Lake Artemesia, which was actually once a series of ponds for storing live fish before being bought by the state and had the ponds combined into a lake. Can't find too many other interesting lakes here that I know about.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 05:54:28 pm »

Yeah, was looking at Artemesia as a possibility.  Looks like there's a residential district just across the train(?) tracks from it too, although at first glance that looked a bit like Hick city, Rednecksville.  You wouldn't happen to know what that one building on the lake side of the tracks is, would you?  Looks a bit like a junkyard from overhead, lots of cars and trucks sitting around...

I'm relatively certain the building district-side of the tracks is a post office, but I've never been even remotely close to the area so all I've got to work on is the satellite image from Googlemaps.

Gonna look at Buddy Attick too, just to see if I can find it.  And I think the main character is going to be a pretty horrible driver anyways, seeing as she's 14...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 05:59:17 pm »

Robots attacked earth. You and others are part of the Last Resistance, to try to save Earth from the mechanical army 

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 06:01:16 pm »

Oh, I lived closer to the College for a few years. I know the area well, and there are not too many hicks around those parts. There is a junkyard, but mostly due to the fact that that area used to be and still is a small sliver of an industrial block.

The houses across the train tracks looks like typical American houses, and the only defining feature is that there are a few stores that have a western-style boardwalk in concrete.

Buddy park is a bit more wealthy of a community, and there are not any terribly interesting features other than the lake.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 06:11:56 pm »

I had in mind sort of a old-looking Victorian house, the kind 'Madam le Petite' would have as her vacation home.

And Org, stop posting scenarios. I will write something for you if you do.
Pages: [1] 2