Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Potent Crops and Trees  (Read 1058 times)

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Potent Crops and Trees
« on: April 06, 2009, 03:02:06 pm »

How would I mod the raw files so that trees and crops can grow anywhere?
(Freezing or scorching, wet or dry, underground or above, etc.)
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Potent Crops and Trees
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 06:28:57 pm »

Change all the biome tags to [BIOME:ANY_LAND]

It still won't make them grow naturally in places with poor or nonexistant soil, however, such as mountains, badlands, and some deserts. Not sure about freezing areas (which were really the only place you couldn't grow them in before under any conditions), and I don't think it'll let them grow underground (although you might be able to do this by also adding [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER], but I'm not sure if plants are able to handle multiple biome tokens like this as creatures are).

I think the plants will still grow in the aforementioned soil-less areas if you muddy the ground, though, much like tower caps.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:10:21 pm »

They should then grow in freezing areas, just not on glaciers.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:57:06 am »

They should then grow in freezing areas, just not on glaciers.

or tundra, for wood. It doesn't let trees grow in areas that are marked as vegetation:none in the site selector (although I haven't tried artifically making them in these biomes using flooding). However, AI entities who have cities in these biomes will be able to use and trade the wood.

No idea for crops.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:33:46 am »

I've found that building on brooks and than deconstrucing the walls or floors reveals a soil tile, not sure if it still works though.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"