Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about champions!  (Read 1071 times)

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about champions!
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:45:00 pm »

Question one: I put my trader in the military and he sparred with another (now champion) of mine, and became a champion, does this mean i can no longer use him to trade, and am thusly boned?

Question Two: My champion is now a legendary wrestler, thing is before he was even in the military i assigned him to use mace + heavy armor and shield, he is now legendary wrestler, master shield but still only proficient swords dwarf, i checked his inventory and it is there, Is he A. not using it and wrestling instead B. Using it, but levelling wrestling up faster due to dodging, or C. ???

Thanks!

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about champions!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 03:41:09 pm »

Question one: I put my trader in the military and he sparred with another (now champion) of mine, and became a champion, does this mean i can no longer use him to trade, and am thusly boned?

Yes and no. He won't return to civillian life, but new Traders are easily trained. Use the 'n'obles screen to replace him with Lye Maker #42, or any other available dwarf. You may have to do one or two trades without seeing the value of your goods, but Appraiser hits Novice quickly enough that it's not a huge loss.

Question Two: My champion is now a legendary wrestler, thing is before he was even in the military i assigned him to use mace + heavy armor and shield, he is now legendary wrestler, master shield but still only proficient swords dwarf, i checked his inventory and it is there, Is he A. not using it and wrestling instead B. Using it, but levelling wrestling up faster due to dodging, or C. ???

A little A, mostly B.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:59:12 pm »

actually as a champion he will still gladly do trader for you. As for me, I have personally found that making a new trader from scratch can be a royal pain in the ass!! The good news is, now that he is a champion in good armor ect, he is not only a great trader but a real bad ass survivor too. Oh, point of note, these days one thing i buy on my original 7 is the swim skill. It sucks to lose one of your original dwarve's to falling in some water.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 07:12:35 pm »

if you got a meeting area most people will already have high appraiser skill, or atleast judge of intent. dont know if its true but i once had many people in my fort with high level appraising.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 08:30:23 pm »

I'd like to know this as well. This happened to 4/5 of my melee units on my most recent fort...

Edit: Also, rereading that I think you mean macedwarf...

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:34:16 pm »

use mace + heavy armor and shield,

still only proficient swords dwarf

He's just a little confused how the mace works.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Reyyvo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 11:42:07 pm »

use mace + heavy armor and shield,

still only proficient swords dwarf

He's just a little confused how the mace works.

I'm surprised he got to proficient working the mace like that!

P.S. I've had the same thing happen with a hammerdwarf, he would never shoot his bolts even though assigned a crossbow. I think they get a bit anile about these things once theyre more experienced.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:59:35 am »

As far as I know, you only need one person who has skill in Appraiser to see the price of goods. You can then just use the "Anyone can trade" thing until someone gets skill in Appraiser, and replace the Champion with that person. Peasants turn into Traders rather fast.

So you can get a new trader without having to go through the problem with not seeing the prices.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 12:32:55 pm »

or just make some shitloads of exeptionally made dwarven socks out of Rhesus macaques.

This is a Rhesus macaque sock. it is encircled with kobold ears. this object menaces with spikes of elven pants. on the object is an image of a Dwarf drinking beer.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 12:45:27 pm »

When looking at the macedwarf's inventory, check to see if he is holding anything else in the same hand as the mace. Sometimes when they're wrestling they grab each other's armor and pull it off. Then as long as they keep holding it they won't use their weapon, even if it's in their hand

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 02:24:28 pm »

When looking at the macedwarf's inventory, check to see if he is holding anything else in the same hand as the mace. Sometimes when they're wrestling they grab each other's armor and pull it off. Then as long as they keep holding it they won't use their weapon, even if it's in their hand
they just help feeling those +cat leather socks+ up, even if it means death. so soft...

anyway, yeah, if you get big caravans any dwarfs who is first to look at those goods in the trade screen will get quite a bit of experience, enough to become at least a novice, usually. try closing the trade window and opening it again so their skill is updated.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 10:00:07 pm »

Har Har Har.... i meant sword + shield not mace........I dont know why, but he started using his sword again (to great decapitating effect!...including my other champ :( )