Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save Folder Format  (Read 628 times)

Calcipher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save Folder Format
« on: April 06, 2009, 01:53:21 pm »

I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet but I'd like to request some changes to the way seasonal backups work.  Let me say, first, that the rational for these changes is better sorting in both the 'continue' menu and when viewing the folders on a computer.
The way things are now:
"region#-season-year" - in this season is one of aut, spr, sum, win
This means that saves are grouped first by region (logical), then by seasons (in alphabetical order - as above - not chronological order) and then ordered by year.  This scheme makes figuring out which save is the most recent difficult.

What would be better (the smallest change)
"region#-year-season" - still sticking with the season abbreviated seasons.  This would still group by region, then by year, and finally by season (though in alphabetical order and not chronological order).  This makes finding the most recent saves much easier and orders them in a nearly logical way.  There is still the obvious problem of seasons being sorted alphabetically and not chronologically.

What would be best (only a slightly larger change):
"region#-year.season#(-optionally add season)" - In this scheme we would replace the abbreviated season with a number 1-4.  Win would make an obvious 4 and Spr an obvious 1 (as Spr starts a year and Win ends it).  This would sort first by region, then by year, and finally by season (chronologically).  The optional addition of the season name to the end would make the season more human readable and wouldn't change sorting.  The only disadvantage of this format would be that, as it is implemented now, the continue menu would have the most recent save last in this list. 

So, any chance this could be implemented?  If you wanted to go the extra mile I suppose you could allow the save folder format to be defined in the init.txt but it will make portability of saves difficult. 

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Save Folder Format
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 01:21:05 pm »

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES uhhh...

please?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:22:48 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 02:35:06 pm »

The only disadvantage of this format would be that, as it is implemented now, the continue menu would have the most recent save last in this list.
The actual save (rather than the yearly/seasonal backups) would not include the year/season stuff, just the region name/number, so it would be at the top of its group.  If there were only one region, or you were actively playing the region that is first lexicographically (I rename my active region to "active", ensuring that it is always first), then the most recent non-backup save will indeed be first in the list, so it doesn't seem like even this would be a problem.

I want to also take this opportunity to plug a very similar suggestion of mine made not too long ago, designed to improve the sorting of the saves primarily by padding the numbers with extra zeros (so that region10 comes after region09, rather than coming before region2, for example), but also by rearranging the year/season stuff just like suggested here.

Calcipher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 01:48:24 pm »

I want to also take this opportunity to plug a very similar suggestion of mine made not too long ago, designed to improve the sorting of the saves primarily by padding the numbers with extra zeros (so that region10 comes after region09, rather than coming before region2, for example), but also by rearranging the year/season stuff just like suggested here.
I usually only have one or two regions going but I can see this being very useful as well.  I'll second that.