Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The dwarven diet  (Read 2800 times)

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
Re: The dwarven diet
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 10:27:27 am »

The ash is better made into potash for moar booze. Strike three.
Wait, what?

I guess if we're talking about farming now, I like to keep plots of different sizes for different things. I use four or so 3x3 plots for my staples, quarry bush and sweet pod. Then I have smaller 2x3's for cave wheat and pig tail, and then tiny 1x3's for emergency plump helmets and dimple cups (which I grow but never actually use...) I could probably condense the multiple small plots into big ones, but this way I have more control over my stocks, if I notice that I'm running low on a particular crop I can designate another plot for it.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 12:07:05 pm »

The ash is better made into potash for moar booze. Strike three.
Wait, what?

Potash can be used as fertilizer.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 01:44:58 pm »

Ah, right.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 02:42:55 pm »

My dwarves are eating meals that are basically burritos, cheeseburgers, or DorfPockets: meat, cheese, some sort of flour-based bread, and then either a thick sweet syrup (ketchup?) or a sprinkling of chopped leaves (oregano or basil, maybe).  Whatever it is, they love 'em to death.  My cooks make stacks of 40 or so, and a high-quality stack sells for as much as 50,000 dorfbucks.

This is probably a great time for me to pimp out my Farming and Cooking Spreadsheet which helps you estimate meal values and plan out your farming spaces.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 07:56:23 pm »

I've got no idea how to use fertilizer, but what's the point?  If you have enough farms, your food production soars through the roof, especially if you are growing plump helmets.

Anyway, I usually embark with a variety of cheap meat, as well as about 130 turtles and some seeds.  I start farming plump helmets as soon as possible, and later once I get some herbalists, I get an above-ground farm that grows....well, pretty much everything that my herbalists find.  Then I promptly brew it all into delicious booze; any surplus booze or seeds get roasted.

I haven't gotten around to slaughtering cats and dogs wholesale, since I generally leave my cats in cages and train all dogs into an army of war dogs.  Although, I think I will go right now and construct a cat breeding pit.
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 10:20:36 pm »

I have many food staples, but the basic one is plump helmets, variety comes with the yield of the land.
With so many crops being harvested, I'll be able to produce a roast industry.

Food List ( All-year yield; edible raw: cookable: brewable )

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 11:05:25 pm »

I usually ask the Humans and the Dwarven Caravans to bring meat and cats. So, basically, I'm drowning in meat. However, my cook churns out legendary plump helmet biscuits at a pretty insane rate.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 03:42:25 am »

I farm moar plump helmets than i can use/eat. Then when i have to many seeds, i kook them to make biscuits. This is sustainable because i also brew the plump helmets to make dwarven ale.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)
Pages: 1 2 [3]