Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Acid?  (Read 6064 times)

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Acid?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 02:26:53 pm »

Yeah, I know putting in a new liquid would be bitchy, but seeing as how liquids can change stuff (magma first makes rocks into molten rocks), we could have a new, usable liquid.

Acid could strip living tissue to the bones. This could be used to dissolve corpses.

Dwarves disgusted by miasma? Throw the corpses into Acid!

Maybe it would be possible to make corpse rotting time longer, like a season or two.
Then there would be a nice practical use for it.

Defense could need it too. Acid could be easier to get than magma, and excellent against amphibious attackers.
Other than reactions, magma does the same thing, but then again, who doesn't want to use acid in dwarf fortress? The deaths might be slower... which is always better.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 02:57:56 pm »

As a chemist this thread makes me facepalm so much.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 03:53:22 pm »

Don't forget to take off your gloves.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 04:14:04 pm »

If you were using the kind of acid liquid you get from mine drainage disasters, the goblins would say "Hey look!  This moat is a funny color!  And smells bad!  And now that I just swam to the other side, I kind of itch a little, and will probably not feel so good for a while.  But that's okay, because the dwarves sure aren't going to be fishing or drinking from wells round about EVER, and that makes them easier to siege..."

I don't think you're going to get enough concentrated acid to do anything meaningful without some AMAZING construction and engineering efforts.  Which is par for the course, sure.  But then you'd be tearing up half the mountain for a single tile of 7/7 acid, and it wouldn't even glow green or yellow or anything cool...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 05:18:27 pm »

YES I know acids are complex. Some can disolve through metal but are safe to take a shower in. While some can't seem to disolve anything but will drill a hole right through you.

However, a basic acid system would be nice. If we want to match a more advanced one I guess we need to give the Acid specific materials it can affect and at what rate.

Though Id think the Acid should be capable of transmiting poisons as well. Since some poisons are acids.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 06:08:52 pm »

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 06:21:01 pm »

basic acid system

:3

I'm glad someone else caught that.  I was feeling exceptionally nerdy.

Also:  Vinegar is an acid.  So is basically any sort of citrus juice.  And aspirin.  PROBABLY you can't dissolve a corpse in them (well, it would take a loong time..) 

If you're talking something with enough "oomph" to dispose of a body, then you'd likely have trouble storing it in anything organic, in some kinds of rock (i.e. limestone) and in some kinds of metal (zinc goes fwooosh!).  I know that medieval alchemists WERE able to generate some pretty strong acids, so it should be doable in the DF tech level, but storing it might be problematic.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 07:48:08 pm »

Sounds like you need some Hydrogen Fluoride (alien blood) or better yet Chlorine Trifluoride: a combustible highly reactive corrosive so heinous even the Nazis said "Hang on I don't think this is quite safe to put in our fiendishly designed self-igniting flamethrowers, guess we'll have to make do with normal flamers after all."
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 12:17:27 am »

How about making acidity an aspect of the liquid in RAWs, I would make a liquid with:
[NAME:superacid]
[HOMOTHERM:-1000]
[ACIDITY:100]
[REACTION:REAGENTS:MATGLOSS_FLESH:1:PRODUCT:superacid:1]

It will freeze enemies then turn their flesh into more super acid!

Aw Jesus,  you just suggested "Witches Jelly".  http://www.cca.org/cm/picnic.pdf

Or possibly "gray goo", but I'm gonna go with Witches Jelly for the obscurity.
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 12:35:12 am »

Wikipedia says:

Hydrochloric acid was first discovered around 800 AD by the alchemist Jabir ibn Hayyan (Geber), by mixing common salt with sulfuric acid ("vitriol").[1][2] Jabir discovered many important chemicals, and recorded his findings in over 20 books, which carried his chemical knowledge of hydrochloric acid and other basic chemicals for hundreds of years. Jabir's invention of the gold-dissolving aqua regia, consisting of hydrochloric acid and nitric acid, was of great interest to alchemists searching for the philosopher's stone.[1][2][3]

I think we can safely say that having alchemists make acid is well within the range of dwarf-tech. Just not in huge vats all at once.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 12:46:40 am »

Good thing we are talking about alchemy then:)
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 02:24:11 am »

That just gives our chemist here more reasons to continue his physical abuse.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 02:32:08 am »

That just gives our chemist here more reasons to continue his physical abuse.
I know:) Lets make some gold for him to make him happy:)
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 03:40:39 am »

I'm glad someone else caught that.  I was feeling exceptionally nerdy.

Goodness... I dislike when I accidently make puns that are also oxymorons like that.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 08:57:47 am »

It'd be nice if it existed, even if you couldn't make it. It would tie in well with the next version. Could probably make some manner of breath weapon out of it
Pages: 1 [2] 3