Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slow Wagons  (Read 1418 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Slow Wagons
« on: April 06, 2009, 06:28:30 am »

I just got a human caravan, and if I hadn't cheated to speed the last two wagons up, the others would have been preparing to leave by the time they got there.

I think it issue was that the wagon in the back had a lighter load, so it kept running into, and slowing down (can wagons lie down???) the one in front.  I eventually gave up on waiting and used DFCompanion to set their agility to about 100, and while they were still pretty slow, it was nearly as fast as the others.

Any idea what happened?
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Wagons
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 06:48:30 am »

were the wheels damaged? or were there trees in the way that made them go in circles? otherwise wagons are quite slow. but usally not that slow like you said.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 06:59:58 am »

were the wheels damaged? or were there trees in the way that made them go in circles? otherwise wagons are quite slow. but usally not that slow like you said.

They entered on a five tile wide road that leads straight to my fortress.  Now that you mention it though, I don't remember checking if the wheels were damaged...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:21:24 am »

wait, wagons can be damaged?

i guess the mechanics back home were laying down on the job

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 08:38:57 am »

The waggon doesn't have wheels!

Do you have a guard dog out there it might have pathed over? I read a post once about one of the waggon animals "going prone" so it+a guard dog could be on the same tile, then bugging out and not standing back up. So it crawls all the way over to the fortress at minimum speed, and because it+the waggon+the other waggon animal are stuck together, they all travel at the speed of the slowest. Check them all for wounds, too, if it happens again.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 09:07:12 am »

Dude they can fucking go Bezerk
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 10:24:19 am »

This is a noted bug. It seems to sometimes just happen that they can go super-slow. Sometimes, they go super-fast as well, zipping into your fort at super-sonic speeds.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 11:46:23 am »

I had the mix of two occur once. A wagon was going at an extremely leisure, slow pace. Then out of nowhere, an ambush.

The wagon was quickly being attacked while the guards kept a few attackers at bay, then suddenly it seems that the wagon hit the afterburner. It sped forth faster than anything I've seen ingame, left the ambushers behind, and arrived in the fort in a matter of seconds.

After it left, it went back to it's turtlepace. I think they are just lazy.

vitaoma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 12:46:54 pm »

XDDDDDD

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 04:09:15 pm »

Do you have a guard dog out there it might have pathed over? I read a post once about one of the waggon animals "going prone" so it+a guard dog could be on the same tile, then bugging out and not standing back up. So it crawls all the way over to the fortress at minimum speed, and because it+the waggon+the other waggon animal are stuck together, they all travel at the speed of the slowest. Check them all for wounds, too, if it happens again.

This is probably it, there are two sets of chained dogs near the entrance, so if would have had to have missed all four...

Now this would have been usefull the last time, when the goblins showed up in force at the same time...

Emperor Iones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 05:14:49 pm »

oh gods now I want to make a wagon civilization that [liKES_FIGHTING] and is a [SIEGER]

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 08:06:50 pm »

oh gods now I want to make a wagon civilization that [liKES_FIGHTING] and is a [SIEGER]
Good luck isolating the wagon genes...
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 08:16:32 pm »

I once changed a Dog into a Hunting Wagon (tame)

It instantly crashed into a pile of nameless wood.

It was superwagonly tough though.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 08:22:19 pm »

A few merchants were ambushed by goblins once ... the goblins chased  the wagon and jumped up on top. The horses pulled with all their might and the human kicked the goblins off. As they lay stunned on the ground the caravan guards executed them.

This was pretty cool, thought I. Then I got a "Snatcher! Protect the children!" and saw that the speeding wagon had ran over the snatcher, breaking the poor goblins spine.

Caravan guards executed that one too.  :D
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 04:42:06 am »

didnt know wagons could damage by going over stuff
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!
Pages: [1] 2