Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Autoforbidding Vermin Remains  (Read 980 times)

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Autoforbidding Vermin Remains
« on: April 06, 2009, 03:13:27 am »

I currently have everything set to autoforbid while still letting my dwarves collect refuse from outside. Over the past year I lost 3 dwarves to a GCS/<insert chasm creature here> before I found what they were hiking across the map for: blue jay remains. I have a single cat, and the remains were on the other side of the GCS's area (incidentally my immigrants appear on top of the GCS as well, fun) so I don't think it is the cat that is killing the vermin. So I forbid the remains, double check my forbid orders and go about my business; a couple months later and I'm getting interrupt messages as dwarves are once again hiking to the same area for some highly coveted large roach remains (luckily troglodytes scare them before they get to the GCS). Auto-collection of web is disabled by the way.

Are vermin remains not covered under one of the forbid standing orders, or is there a situation (such as vermin being killed by a sneaking creature) where the vermin won't be autoforbidden?
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Zeg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Autoforbidding Vermin Remains
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 06:47:28 am »

Vermin can get caught in cave spider webs. Happens fairly often to me on one of my fortresses, and the only way I've managed to control it is to forbid dwarves from going outside. And if they need to for some reason, watching them very closely to see when one of them starts running off toward the webs and going to forbid the vermin corpse manually. I have all the forbid options turned on, it just seems vermin corpses aren't counted.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Autoforbidding Vermin Remains
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 12:04:15 pm »

I think you can turn of "Collect refuse from outside" and that'll work too.

I tend to make a curtain wall+drawbridge "kiddie pen" to keep my dwarves in the little bit of outside they absolutely need (trees, sand). I set "Dwarves stay indoors" to let the traders in, then let them out again.