Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Accidents  (Read 3735 times)

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Accidents
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 09:00:46 am »

Also protective gear should either reduce the chance to an accident or make the effects of one less deadly. And higher skill might reduce the chance of accidents but should also make the accidents more deadly, a rookie might just use some basic tools while an master uses more advanced tools.

Eh, sounds kinda iffy to me. I'm liking the idea of protective gear and skill reducing the chances of accidents, but they shouldn't be more severe for skilled dwarves. That's kind of just balancing out the system so that all our dwarves get crippled eventually. And I can't think of all that many jobs that have skilled workers using different tools than the newbies. Seems like some stupid workshop elitist-caste scenario.

"Urist McSpineless cancels create statue, not scene enough"

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 09:03:34 am »

How often do you really cleave yourself in the leg while cutting trees? This sort of thing mixes really, really poorly with dice rolls

If something, they might get gray wounds and a bad thought when hitting their finger with a hammer. It quickly gets stupid when every year some random moron manages to fall down a flight of stairs. Oh and skill level should play a significant role, don't expect a proficient carpenter to hammer his fingers anymore

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 10:48:56 am »

Also protective gear should either reduce the chance to an accident or make the effects of one less deadly. And higher skill might reduce the chance of accidents but should also make the accidents more deadly, a rookie might just use some basic tools while an master uses more advanced tools.

That's ridiculous.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 02:36:54 pm »

Keep in mind that with the new attributes, a dwarf with very very low "kinesthetic sense" is almost EXPECTED to topple down the stairs every once in a while.  Just for people who are vastly below average, yeah, but I'd be kind of disappointed if it didn't happen.  The lowest 5% of dwarfkind should trip and fall.  Their parents just kind of accept that they're going to topple into a chasm someday, so they carefully leave the best heirlooms to the kids they think actually have a chance...etc.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 02:50:41 pm »

Keep in mind that with the new attributes, a dwarf with very very low "kinesthetic sense" is almost EXPECTED to topple down the stairs every once in a while.  Just for people who are vastly below average, yeah, but I'd be kind of disappointed if it didn't happen.  The lowest 5% of dwarfkind should trip and fall.  Their parents just kind of accept that they're going to topple into a chasm someday, so they carefully leave the best heirlooms to the kids they think actually have a chance...etc.

Okay, does anyone think we need an attribute indicating each dwarf's chance to randomly fall down the stairs? Does that add something to the game that I'm not seeing?

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 03:38:00 pm »

Accidents should happen less to the more skilledfull.
NO! Accidents should happen even to the skilled dwarves, depending on their personality!

Urist has been fine lately. He smashed own hand on an anvil lately. He was able to rest and recuperate lately. He received water recently. He received food recently. He sustained major injuries lately.
He always acts without considering alternatives or thinking through possibilities. He cracks easily under pressure. He constantly strives for perfection. He is in a constant state of internal rage.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 03:46:56 pm »

As for accidents, guys. We're used to not having a lot of them around, with all the safety measures and regulations IRL.
Guess what? Dwarves don't have that.

If you add stress to any sort of workplace where you work with hazardous tools, accidents are bound to happen. They appear prominently in different sorts of slaughterhouse convair-belts.
When people are working packed and cut meat with razor-sharp knives every day, accidents can and do happen on a regular basis. The guys working there have chainmail aprons and still people manage to get cut up.

And really, dwarven society is incredibly stressful and they have no concept of dwarven worth or dwarven rights. Any time they're not sleeping is worktime. Also, all the work is manual, and YES even if it isn't implemented, ALL professions REALLY use hazardous tools like hammers, chisels, knives, axes etc.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 03:58:50 pm »

Okay, does anyone think we need an attribute indicating each dwarf's chance to randomly fall down the stairs? Does that add something to the game that I'm not seeing?

Kinesthetic sense is already going in, because it's useful in a ton of other things (combat etc).  The fact that it would also indicate in a vague sense how likely a dwarf is to fall off a cliff is A) sensible and B) comedy gold.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 05:42:55 pm »

Now we need to go ahead and find the right ratio of  "how many dwarves fall off a bridge in an hour" over "how many times is it funny in an hour". I'm thinking for the top, about 37. For the bottom, about infinity.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 11:02:07 pm »

And really, dwarven society is incredibly stressful and they have no concept of dwarven worth or dwarven rights. Any time they're not sleeping is worktime. Also, all the work is manual, and YES even if it isn't implemented, ALL professions REALLY use hazardous tools like hammers, chisels, knives, axes etc.

They party and have long breaks. If the player chooses to turn them into automatons, that does not reflect their society

I'm fine with small injuries but it's gonna get frustrating quickly if dwarves randomly fall off the bridge over a 10 z level drop without being anywhere close to the edge. We must have railings if this is even considered

Dwarves getting a fishing hook stuck in their cheek or breaking a finger while churning out furniture is acceptable as long as it doesn't happen too often or cause debilitating injuries. How often do you really smash your finger with a hammer so hard it gets mangled? In the forge your hand won't exactly be anywhere near the red hot blade you're pounding

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 02:15:53 am »

Also "if" booze increases the chance for accidents we are going to see alot of them.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 03:26:45 am »

I'm fully in favor even of relatively frequent accidents (say 1/20 tasks) as long as there is a curve as to severity. So for example, of 20 possibilities, 8 are nicks you go to the nearest physician for or even just let it heal, 6 are minor but need treatment to heal well, 4 are moderately severe, requiring medical attention and a bit of rest but not crippling, 1 is nasty but not life threatening, requiring the services of the Primary Physician Noble and 1 is life threatening. Roll twice and select the lower result to curve probability in favor of minor accidents.

It would give a nice incentive to actually create medical infrastructure.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 04:04:44 am »

All the Dwarves at some point should have a scar to show for their work unless they have really REALLY wimpy jobs.

Though Id think most dwarves would just rub dirt into their wound and continue working.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 06:27:25 am »

All the Dwarves at some point should have a scar to show for their work unless they have really REALLY wimpy jobs.

Though Id think most dwarves would just rub dirt into their wound and continue working.
Nah real dwarfs rub salt water into their wounds.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 04:13:18 pm »

Real dwarfs rub magma, booze, and goblin blood into their wound, then set their beard on fire and slaughter elephants before continuing to work.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3