Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Accidents  (Read 3734 times)

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Accidents
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:21:41 am »

Dwarfs and other creatures should be able to have diffrent accidents, like a smith smashing his hand with his hammer by misstake. Or a dwarf falls down a stair and break his foot.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Accidents
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 02:43:52 am »

Would give more of a reason to have a medical infrastructure, certainly. Especially if it was in the RAWs so you could alter the severity, events, chance and turn it on/off in init.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:53:57 am »

If I recall, dwarves used to fall down stairs in older versions. This will probably return. I like the thought of various workshop accidents, though.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 09:08:20 am »

I think they still can fall down stairs, but only under a handful of cercumstances.  A bit of water on the stairs can cause them to slip (I think) and they can fall down them if they dodge an attack into that tile (So I've heard).

Long as I can adjust the severity and chances of it happening, I'm all for it.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 09:10:03 am »

I can get behind this. I think accidents should be related to ALL jobs.

Woodcutters can hurt themselves extremely, fisherdwarves fall into water, miners have rocks fall on their heads (they should automatically equip helmets if you ask me), children fall over and bruise, haulers hurt all over, nurses... prick themselves..? i don't know man. Maybe not EVERY job. It'd be annoying to have my trader lie in bed due to carpal tunnel syndrome.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 12:09:42 pm »

Accident (for children): Nosebleed
Reason: Picking Nose

Mod game to have high severity

~~~
C~~~~~
  ~~~~

Ouch.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 01:59:41 pm »

~~~
C~~~~~
  ~~~~

Ouch.
Oh the miracles of childhood.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 02:21:57 pm »

Accidents should happen less to the more skilledfull.
O noes! your legendary armor smith just smashed his hand into a bloody pulp !!! and just when adamantine ore was discovered...
Although would be funny to have a tree fall on your fellow woodcutter or something  :D also I am seeing fingers in your dwarfs butchered meat supply  :-X
And your average dwarven skull should be enough for your miners ( except a full 7/7 block of stone)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 03:51:55 pm »

Accidents should happen less to the more skilledfull.
O noes! your legendary armor smith just smashed his hand into a bloody pulp !!! and just when adamantine ore was discovered...
Although would be funny to have a tree fall on your fellow woodcutter or something  :D also I am seeing fingers in your dwarfs butchered meat supply  :-X
And your average dwarven skull should be enough for your miners ( except a full 7/7 block of stone)

Hey that's not a bad idea. I'd like to have a setting where I could toggle how cautious the dwarves are. As in they allow the MOST SKILLED dwarf go and build those war hammers the mayor wanted and not just whoever was on scene. A new weaponsmith walks into town, thinks he can help out, burns both his hands to a crisp... rather it'd be "hey Urist McWeaponsmith step back and let the city weaponsmith take care of it instead" and he could like, do things that are LESS dangerous only... assuming that no dwarf with a higher "skill" is present that is.
I have an art blog now.

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 05:15:04 pm »

Just think what may happen at the magma forge...and  what happens when they are thirsty afterwards...

"Damn it, I got abit of lava on my gloves... I should go wash them off... but... I have to get a drink first!"

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 05:36:21 pm »

~~~
C~~~~~
  ~~~~

Ouch.

What if child was sent to rig a weapon trap?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 07:24:15 pm »

Just think what may happen at the magma forge...and  what happens when they are thirsty afterwards...

"Damn it, I got abit of lava on my gloves... I should go wash them off... but... I have to get a drink first!"

That's a horrible thought! I got my booze stockpile right next to the still! There's always at least 14 dwarves present.
I have an art blog now.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 08:40:56 pm »

Although would be funny to have a tree fall on your fellow woodcutter or something

this already happens.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 08:42:51 pm »

Although would be funny to have a tree fall on your fellow woodcutter or something

this already happens.

really? I cut down over 500 trees in one year to piss off the elves. somewhere around 25-35 dwarves set out into the forest ... not a single accident.
must be pretty rare
I have an art blog now.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 12:50:36 am »

Also protective gear should either reduce the chance to an accident or make the effects of one less deadly. And higher skill might reduce the chance of accidents but should also make the accidents more deadly, a rookie might just use some basic tools while an master uses more advanced tools.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.
Pages: [1] 2 3