Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Accidents  (Read 3732 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Accidents
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 11:53:19 pm »

REAL dwarves forget what they're doing, take a nap and get killed.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 01:17:00 am »

I like this idea, some accidents are already in place. sparring and miners are very good at dying in mydraid ways (mostly the players fault in the latter) not to mention hunters being mauled by their prey, ect.

The rate of accidents and severity of the injury should increase with inexperience, and any status effects. Anybody thats thirsty, hungry, nausated from the sun, miserable or drowsy would be more prone to accidents.

Which brings up the fact that dwarves drink/eat/sleep long before they ever get thirsty/hungry/sleepy. Perhaps a personality trait related to a work ethic could cause a worker to keep working a bit dispite being tired or hungry? I can imagine an overworked butcher or carpenter accidently losing a finger or two. Or things like that Novice Mechanic installing or resetting a weapon trap, I imagine could be extremely dangerous.

Also, having accidents implimented would have pretty signficant concequences on all those unskilled migrants building your 20 story soap tower in the rain...

I'd suggest that some tasks like planting, cooking, making clothes, smoothing out floors and even most stone, glass and woodcrafting should be completely safe. Yes, you can poke yourself with a needle, cut your fingertip wittling or accidently touch a hot pan, but none of those things are bad enough to waste a doctor's time with. Rub some dirt in it and keep working.

I was going to suggest gathering plants to be perfectly safe, but some cave adapted novice herbalist stirring up a hornet's nest while messing with the bushes would be a cool thing to impliment.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 02:59:52 am »

Cooking safe? I would guess that some of the stuff dwarfs use for cooking would catch fire very easy.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Carcer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 06:06:48 am »

I dunno. Most of the accidents we currently have are in some form or fashion the fault of the player, even if indirectly.

Miner got hit by a cave in and got crushed? Bet you weren't paying attention to exactly how you were marking things to be excavated/channeled.

Champion gets his lung poked out? Should'a made sure that rookie wasn't using that artifact spear.

Accidents should primarily be the fault of the player not paying attention or willfully disregarding the consequences to their actions. While some injuries would be nice, like smacking your hand with a hammer so you have to sit out or work for a few days maybe, I don't think life threatening or serious injuries should be completely random.

Make it so that the player has some warning things might go wrong, like depressed dwarves are more likely to injure themselves or something.
set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.
Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 10:47:37 pm »

Carcer I agree.

Accidents should mainly be due to the player but honestly.

The dwarves have TEN fingers and TEN toes. I'd like to see them break and be severed and all that. Doesn't have to affect them in work or anything. A dwarf who refuses to burn coal because of a broken pinkie finger should face the hammerer!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: 1 2 [3]