Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Need to back up  (Read 5844 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need to back up
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 02:59:53 am »

so, i download acronis, use it.....wait what does it save my hardrive to?

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 09:28:10 am »

Wherever you want it to. Here is a good tutorial on creating a backup image, and here is a good tutorial on restoring it. Here is a tutorial on how to backup to DVDs or CDs.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 02:41:48 pm »

that looks awsome, just 2 questions

1) it says that he has 2 harddrives, do i need to get a second hardrive to use this?

2) when i clone my hard drive, how do i keep it safe? i think its still too big to put on disks (again could saving on multiple disks be troublesom?) so is my only option extrernal hardrive or online saving system?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 02:46:20 pm »

You will need a second medium. Whether it's a harddrive or a buncha disks or a zipdrive doenst really matter all that much. Altough some software probably doesnt like zipdrives.

Multiple DVDs shouldnt pose a problem, its just a pita, swapping disks, labelling them correctly, storing them, not losing them... all that crap.

I didnt even know there are online services for imaging, but it sure sounds slow. and comfortable.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 02:48:02 pm »

so what, is i start to burn it to CD's it will say "this disk is full plz insert new one" and continue? and can i label them 1,2,3,4,5? or do i need to reinstall different things at a time?

how many CDs would i need for 80 GB?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 03:00:46 pm »

Well, tbh, I didnt read that article, but that is normally how imaging software works, yes. You load up the software, select the output medium, the partition/drive you wanna make a "snapshot" of, and just start the thing.

CDs, if I remember correctly hold around 700something MB a piece, so you'll need what? over a hundred? oh boy oh boy :D

DVDs hold 4.7 gig, so less than 20 required.

or do i need to reinstall different things at a time?
That's not what an image does, an image is an "accurate snapshot" of the bits on your harddrive. more or less.
The software copies your harddrive as it is, and when you restore it, it should be like it was, as if the information never left the drive. At least that's the idea behind it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 03:04:13 pm by Puck »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 09:55:24 pm »

no i meant do i need to install the .exe's first, then the applications....maybe the C drive first....things like that...but im not using 100 CDs to save my laptop on lol...is there such a thing as a free online storage? if not whats cheaper an external hard drive or online storage?

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 10:08:20 pm »

I'd suggest spending ~$100 on a decent external hard drive. Then you have a nice place to back stuff up in the future, too. Online storage is an option as well, but I think you'd have to pay monthly. I suggest you do a little googling to figure out what's right for you. I don't have any experience in online storage because I have never had a fast enough connection to make it worthwhile.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2009, 04:16:16 pm »

actually it turns out i have dozens of 7.4 GB disks so let me say excatly how i think the CD thing will work and what will go wrong

i put in CD, right click the image of my hard drive, copy, paste it onto CD, then when thats full, it will ask me to put in another?

when inserting the data back into my computer, i insert the first disk i saved data on into the computer, download it, insert next disk download it...

i need EXTREMLY DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS

i have what i consider 1000 dollars on info on this thing

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 04:47:47 pm »

1. Download and install the free trial of Acronis true image.

2. Follow the instruction on this page. Except, when you get to "Backup Archive Location" choose your DVD burner.

Ask if you have any more questions.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2009, 06:37:28 pm »

not a question that i think will be nessicary, just something to wait until i get an oppurtunity to buy a new charger (the plastic cracked form the heat the wire generated and is now exposing sparking metal....want to sue them).

when i use my CD burner, will i have to manually select what files need to go on each disk

when i re download the info, do i have to download it in  the same order as i uploaded it? like the first disk i saved info on goes first, then the second....ect

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2009, 06:54:04 pm »

when i use my CD burner, will i have to manually select what files need to go on each disk

Nope. The program will create a complete and absolute image of your hard drive and spread it between all of the DVDs.

when i re download the info, do i have to download it in  the same order as i uploaded it? like the first disk i saved info on goes first, then the second....ect

Yes, I think so. I have never used True Image to backup onto DVDs or CDs before, so I don't really know.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2009, 10:25:30 pm »

ok so it will just say "disk is full plz insert next disk" then i take that disc out and slap a 1 on it?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2009, 03:07:32 am »

yes, sure. I dont know Acronis, but uuuusually imaging software gives you the option (or does it automatically) to burn a small program on disc 1 and make that disc bootable.

When you get your laptop back, you put in disc 1, and boot. the proggy starts up and gives you the restore options. then you just swap the discs whenever one is done. If everything goes as planned, your HD will look exactly like before.

Imaging software usually lets you choose what to "image". it can be folders, programs, or - and that's what you want, because its the least hassle and the most efficient solution for your kind of problem - whole drives. And this is what you're gonna select, private!

Maybe you have a second computer? some old zombie machine? because maybe it's smart to do a little dry run, ey?  ;)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2009, 08:40:16 am »

i have a second stationary PC, what do you mean dry run?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4