Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Need to back up  (Read 5843 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need to back up
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 03:18:43 am »

1. im sending it in for repairs....will they repair it if i open it like that? can i even take out the harddrive of an HP?

2. so i cant backup programs without removing the harddrive itself?? what about dwarffortress and unreal world and gametap?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 09:24:05 am »

If they are really just changing the wires, why are those numbnuts wiping the harddrive?
If they are really just changing the wires, why aren' you just removing the harddrive before sending it in?

Oh and what about an "ice box"? (I think they call it that way) Cheapish box with usb connector, in which you can put old IDE drives. Shouldnt be too expensive, shouldnt be too fast, but it would do the job without the hassle of buying and burning 20something dvds...

Then just make an image of your laptop harddrive which you can copy back to the laptop when you get it back, which basically achieves the same as just sending it in without harddrive.

But seeing that the tecchies want to wipe the hd during some repairs, chances are, they will complain you didnt send it in with HD.  :D

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 09:25:55 am »

2. so i cant backup programs without removing the harddrive itself?? what about dwarffortress and unreal world and gametap?
Yes you can, without removign the harddrive, it's just you should know it's not as simple as copying the folders. This isnt dos anymore  ;D

Windows keeps a registry with locations of programs (simply put). They wipe your harddrive, you get it back, reinstall windows, and copy back your programs. Fine. Windows doesnt know where they are and what to do with them. (you could then install over those folders you copied back, its a cheapo lamer way of preserving the data your programs kept, in some cases. In some, its useless, since programs tend to store their data in pretty obscure locations like... c:\local settings\andthencomesthefreakydirectorytreethatisntevenconsistentforalltheprograms)

Dwarf Fortress isnt a problem at all, it needs no registry entries.

tl;dr

get some better tecchies that arent complete assholes  ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:30:50 am by Puck »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 04:35:35 pm »

cant....its an extended warranty for circuit city...who has gone bankrupt......

so, is my computer really never going to be the same if i try to transfer the data onto CDs or another hardrive?

has anyone used an online backup system? does it restore a computer fully back to itself?

would you guys remove your hardrive before sending it in?

god its like they make these things to purposely tourture you. i bet they are just gonna send me a new laptop and be done with it...

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 05:50:47 pm »

Heh, that was preety cool.

Yaaga

• Bay Watcher
  • "Mou... Yui-Senpai... Stop teasing me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 06:00:21 pm »

What the...? How, in the hell, did that google something for me?! I even tried deleting the search words, and it STILL googled it. It's in my google history... how? ??? ??? ???
Minister of Luck - I directly affect everything in an indirect way that may or may not amount to anything! Yay me!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 06:02:09 pm »

Yaaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 06:07:59 pm »

Eh but now how what...?

Was this made by hackers?!
Minister of Luck - I directly affect everything in an indirect way that may or may not amount to anything! Yay me!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 06:09:13 pm »

Yaaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 06:11:16 pm »

Ah, I see...

Whoever made this has won the internet...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 10:57:14 pm »

rofl that was awsome. i wish that entire thing was sigable.

anyway, cloning the hard drive...ive found that vista doesnt allow cloning *cant find smily face for scream*

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 11:45:11 pm »

What exactly are you having trouble with?

People have cloned Vista partitions before.

Don't be so quick to pin blame on your OS.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 11:48:56 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 11:57:51 pm »

People have cloned Vista partitions before.

Don't be so quick to pin blame on your OS.
From what I've read, you would either need a crack, have to call MS support to get a new key, or use Linux to create a 1:1 copy of your disk.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 12:57:03 am »

Then what you read was wrong, or you misunderstood it.

I know from personal experience that Acronis true image works fine on Vista, and I think most other disk imaging programs do also.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4