Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stone sledge hammers  (Read 2602 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone sledge hammers
« on: April 05, 2009, 11:18:48 pm »

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but are there stone hammers in DF? Like, combine a stone with a piece of wood to make a hammer? These were the first complex weapons ever made by humans (right?), so it would make sense that they would be in DF. I know you can make swords with obsidian, but can you also make hammers, axes, etc?

There really needs to be a way to use stone for maces or something, since its really just a carved rock tied to a stick, and any stone could work as they need not be sharpened.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
Re: Stone sledge hammers
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:23:11 pm »

I doubt it. It would be a logical conclusion, and Dwarves are not logical.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:24:50 pm »

Simple. Makes sense. Easy. Not dwarven.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 11:26:19 pm »

I doubt it. It would be a logical conclusion, and Dwarves are not logical.
They can link a bridge to a lever that is a thousand meters away with two pieces of stone but they can't tie a stick to a rock; that's dwarves for you.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 11:28:19 pm »

They could also throw stones, sharpen sticks, make spears out of wood and stone.

It somehow feels "beneath" them don't you think? Dwarves are naturally stubborn and proud. Why soon you'll tell me that they should be careful around obviously dangerous areas like chasms and rivers full of carps!
How undwarven!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 11:40:54 pm »

Wouldn't it be moddable into with [CAN_STONE] or some such under proper weapon in the raw? I think the short sword have that or something, and therefore able to be made out of obsidian and wood so look there first.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:42:38 pm »

If they are willing to use stone swords and wooden crossbow bolts then I don't see why they would not want to use a massive block of granite attached to a wooden handle.

Imagine this, except with a stone head: http://pwtorch.com/artman2/uploads/1/sledgehammer.jpg

Why wouldn't dwarves use that?

Wouldn't it be moddable into with [CAN_STONE] or some such under proper weapon in the raw? I think the short sword have that or something, and therefore able to be made out of obsidian and wood so look there first.

I'll try this, thanks!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:48:54 pm »

You're missing the point. Those "stone" swords aren't just flint or granite with a handle on, they're OBSIDIAN for crying out loud! also they refuse to make wooden swords. they just buy them from elves sometimes and use them when there's nothing else.
Wooden and bone bolts are used for practice.

In all honesty if a dwarf had access to a sniper rifle it is all well and good to practice aim and shoot cans or target dummies with. However if goblins attack no self-respecting dwarf would use a sniper rifle, they would use an inefficient and innacurate steam-powered catapult which throws flaming kegs of way too tightly packed and unstable gunpowder.
Bonus points if the construction originally was a drawbridge and you're drunk at the time. Now THAT'S dwarven!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

KirigStonebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 12:39:26 am »

I'd say this is getting into the area where dwarfiness becomes subjective. Personally I think it'd be at least as dwarfy to use a big rock mace or hammer as it is to use ANY short sword.

I say go ahead and mod it in if you want them. It might be a bit odd for a blunt weapon to use only obsidian (used by primitive peoples as blades because it was easy to chip into sharp edges), but unfortunately I don't know how you'd go about allowing any stone to be used (assuming that's possible).

Just on a side note, from what I know of early weapons this kind of thing wasn't done very much in prehistoric times. Tying rock to a wood shaft was more suited to small hand-axes and spear and arrow heads; smashing heads and even large axe-heads would probably loosen or snap the ties too easily and if they were gonna put labor into a weapon it might as well have a nice sharp blade. If all an early human needed was a bludgeon there were plenty of femurs lying around that would serve as sufficient clubs. Bludgeoning wasn't terribly popular in any case, though; you can't really throw a bludgeon, and you don't get as much bang for your lugged weight.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 01:35:48 am »

Well I put [CAN_STONE] on war hammers and I'm pretty sure that a [SHARP] tag makes obsidian weapon-worthy, so I made every stone [SHARP] and I'll see how that works.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 04:11:44 am »

Stone weapons do 133% damage, due to the sharpness of obsidian. This makes no sense in the case of blunt weapons such as maces/hammers, or other types of stone. I'm pretty sure axes cannot be stoned for balance reasons (so it's harder to get them for your woodcutters) but that isn't a realism debate.

If you really wanted to include stone weapons, and make it vaguelly balanced, you should do it via smelter reactions. Otherwise you've got another problem entirely: why ever make metal weapons if stone weapons do more damage?

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 09:14:44 am »

Stone weapons do 133% damage, due to the sharpness of obsidian. This makes no sense in the case of blunt weapons such as maces/hammers, or other types of stone. I'm pretty sure axes cannot be stoned for balance reasons (so it's harder to get them for your woodcutters) but that isn't a realism debate.

If you really wanted to include stone weapons, and make it vaguelly balanced, you should do it via smelter reactions. Otherwise you've got another problem entirely: why ever make metal weapons if stone weapons do more damage?

Well damn, my hammers will be too effective. That just takes the fun out of combat  >:(

But I don't care about balancing, and the mod is just for me so who cares. Besides, iron and metal weapons are way more stylish than stone, so I'd readily switch whenever I can.

I guess I'll get rid of this mod since stone doesso much damage though  :'(

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 02:57:41 pm »

I think a pitchblend or Cinnabar hammer would be perfectly dwarven....

although stone Hammers would shatter too easily...
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 05:55:21 pm »

I think a pitchblend or Cinnabar hammer would be perfectly dwarven....

although stone Hammers would shatter too easily...

Nonsense! It's a stone, not ice. As long as you don't hit a very sturdy edge with the center of the hammer and split it, your fine. Besides, it would be stronger than an obsidian sword.

And fuck realism even if it could be shattered, this is Dwarf Fortress!

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 10:09:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure axes cannot be stoned
*peers through the acrid smoke*Aw, come on maaaaaan. It's, like, awesome maaaaaan.

Where's that little fuzzy dude, I gotta get more of this stuff. He was all like "Feep feep" but I didn't believe him. He wasn't lying maaaaaan, this stuff is feepin'.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:11:07 pm by Leonon »
Pages: [1] 2