Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Goblin Ambushes  (Read 1533 times)

AtomicDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Ambushes
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 02:18:19 pm »

Even though my livestock is usually sufficient for my needs, I usually make the least popular dwarf I can find a hunter for this very reason.  He runs all over the surface uncovering the ambusers so the military can go smash them.

Pretty high turnover for the position though.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 08:02:18 pm »

Cages are safe from attack right?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 10:13:42 pm »

For the time being, I've dug a small trench around the edge of the map.  I plan to place some walls over it once I can spare the masons though, as the last batch of goblins nearly killed a planter by shooting over the trench.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 11:42:22 pm »

Do hidden goblins still activate pressure plates?  If so then setting up some kind of early warning system shouldn't be too hard.  Just build some bauxite grates on the ground somewhere that default to open then have them repeated switch after something triggers the plate and tada, flashing red warning "lights".

They do, yeah. Ambushing Sand Raiders (I'm using Civ Forge) triggered my pressure plates which then triggered my above-ground cave-in trap. Unfortunately, they didn't turn visible, and if any of them got squished, they didn't show up.

On a related note, I I find that tethering kittens near the common entry points of my fort serves as a fine warning system. On top of that, it makes all of the ambushers visible.

I don't have to have them appear, just trigger the plates.  I've started preparations for a basic machine that would, when someone steps on the plates, make something in the fortress, probable floor hatches, repeatedly open and close, thus letting me know when an ambush shows up.  It's not without it's flaws, as the dwarves still won't suspect a thing, but it'll serve it;s purpose.

I'd do that, cause I don't care for cats, but if they manage to adopt someone before, during or after being chained up, it could make a mess.  I'd consider using horses, as young horses are a major trade item for me (I have a group of breeding horses that churn out foals that I cage and sell), so I never really have a shortage, but I'd rather not have to re-chain new animals everytime something shows up.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 11:45:11 pm »

Do hidden goblins still activate pressure plates?  If so then setting up some kind of early warning system shouldn't be too hard.  Just build some bauxite grates on the ground somewhere that default to open then have them repeated switch after something triggers the plate and tada, flashing red warning "lights".

They do, yeah. Ambushing Sand Raiders (I'm using Civ Forge) triggered my pressure plates which then triggered my above-ground cave-in trap. Unfortunately, they didn't turn visible, and if any of them got squished, they didn't show up.

On a related note, I I find that tethering kittens near the common entry points of my fort serves as a fine warning system. On top of that, it makes all of the ambushers visible.
Some traps show enemies, others don't (and all will be triggered by foolish goblins). Ones I know off-hand are that cage traps will, but weapon traps won't. It was quite funny seeing my trap corridor getting completely covered in blood and goblin body parts without me actually being notified at all that I was under attack from a goblin ambush party, or being able to see the little bastards...but I do prefer having a cage trap as the first thing in my trap corridor, just on the off-chance that I get a visit from a megabeast - they walk onto the trap and are instantly captured and in perfect health, ready to be thrown into the arena against POW goblins; if any goblin triggers a cage trap, you get the usual "Snatcher! Protect the children!" or "An ambush! Curse them!" warnings (even though in the case of snatchers, they're caught and there's no need to protect the children :P For an ambush warning, the ambush party that particular goblin was a part of will be revealed)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.
Pages: 1 [2]