Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin Ambushes  (Read 1534 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Goblin Ambushes
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:05:48 pm »

Is there any way to prevent goblins from entering the map hidden?  Normally I'm all for making the game a little harder, but it kinda makes a mess when one manages to ambush some random kid and starts a tantrum spiral...  if not, it's not too big of a deal.  I can usually tell when some show up, cause the new units cause a few frames of lag.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Ambushes
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 10:16:11 pm »

try posting multiple dogs/cats/other animal around the edge of the map on chains as soon as an ambush comes the animals would see them

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 10:50:03 pm »

Walls up the edge of map, funnel them into a hall of traps with a few dogs behind some doors to catch the kobolds. Don't forget to make the funnel at least 3 wide and stick a trade deport in there so you can trade  ;D

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:26:20 am »

What I like to do is have an 'Early warning Donkey' or some other useless animal.

Chain him right outside the entrance to your fort, so that anything that tries to come in must pass the Donkey and get revealed when they try to kill it.

Replace EwD as needed.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 01:52:14 am »

I wonder if "Early Warning Elephants" would be at all effective.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 03:00:45 am »

Alright, I guess I'll just un-cage some of the random baby animals I don't need to sell and chain them up alon the edges of the map.  I don't suppose (although I may need to have the topic moved for this) there is a way to mod the goblins to start visible?

I get the feeling they would be very effective..... now I just need to figure out where the heck to get elephants.  I wish I could request animals for trade...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 03:58:24 am »

Alright, I guess I'll just un-cage some of the random baby animals I don't need to sell and chain them up alon the edges of the map.  I don't suppose (although I may need to have the topic moved for this) there is a way to mod the goblins to start visible?

I get the feeling they would be very effective..... now I just need to figure out where the heck to get elephants.  I wish I could request animals for trade...

If you remove babysnatcher, and give the gobbos [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN] instead of [INTELLIGENT], they should only siege. However, they will siege you as early as when they would start babysnatching. This will require a world regen.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 04:26:25 am »

If you remove babysnatcher, and give the gobbos [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN] instead of [INTELLIGENT], they should only siege. However, they will siege you as early as when they would start babysnatching. This will require a world regen.

Would they seige full force or would it be weaker sieges?

Thanks!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 06:27:35 am »

I think the siege force wouldn't be affected by the change. They'd start small, and eventually send more and more units to attack.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 07:03:36 am »

you could also add in the orcs. wont sneak and will siege you before you reach 80 pop like goblins usually do
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 03:28:51 pm »

Dude!!!

Does this mean if we mod in Babysnatching our Civilizations could have kidnapped Goblins migrate in?  Could there be kidnapped cannabil Elven Wrestlers to skare the crap out of humans?
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 04:04:19 pm »

I use trapped early-warning bears. A particularly successful system is a bear surrounded by three-deep stonefall traps.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 04:05:47 pm »

try posting multiple dogs/cats/other animal around the edge of the map on chains as soon as an ambush comes the animals would see them

I did this... didn't work out as I had hoped since the goblins patrolled from chain to chain and butchered all the animals.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 06:48:39 pm »

I did this... didn't work out as I had hoped since the goblins patrolled from chain to chain and butchered all the animals.
that means that you have plenty of time to muster the militia

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 01:49:32 pm »

Do hidden goblins still activate pressure plates?  If so then setting up some kind of early warning system shouldn't be too hard.  Just build some bauxite grates on the ground somewhere that default to open then have them repeated switch after something triggers the plate and tada, flashing red warning "lights".
Pages: [1] 2