Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 184 z-levels (And plenty of goodies to boot). Can anyone get higher?  (Read 2349 times)

Aggiedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After a few world gens, I managed to get a 184 z-level map (with 166 z-levels above ground). It has a chasm, pit, magma pipe, underground river, hfs, sand, and a bit of trees. If you generate it, keep continuing on each reject.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, has anyone gotten any higher? My previous record was 165 before this generation.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 184 z-levels (And plenty of goodies to boot). Can anyone get higher?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:37:22 am »

O.O Impressive...

Though, i have to ask, does it have iron?

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:42:20 am »

Have you tried playing it? I've heard that z-levels hit frame rate hard but I've never noticed it because I've never had more than the minimum +/- 3 or 4.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 03:50:21 am »

Have you tried playing it? I've heard that z-levels hit frame rate hard but I've never noticed it because I've never had more than the minimum +/- 3 or 4.

Yes, that is going to have a huge hit on his frame rate after a while. Playing with anything approaching a normal fortress is going to slow to a crawl after a while. Also the sheer size of the embark area is going to effect frames.

I think this is more of 'how high can you go' thread, with no real intention of ever really embarking on the map in question.

But who knows, I could be wrong.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:22:13 am »

Yes, that is going to have a huge hit on his frame rate after a while. Playing with anything approaching a normal fortress is going to slow to a crawl after a while. Also the sheer size of the embark area is going to effect frames.

I think this is more of 'how high can you go' thread, with no real intention of ever really embarking on the map in question.

I thought that the biggest frame eater is pathfinding. And open space should not affect it much.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:38:50 am »

I thought that the biggest frame eater is pathfinding. And open space should not affect it much.
It is.  I embarked on a 16x16 map the other day on my T61 laptop and it was getting 75fps on an Intel integrated GPU.  When the ramping jobs started, it dropped a bit, but it was still quite playable.  I normally hover around 80fps on 6x6 maps.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 12:23:20 pm »

DOn't forget about all those flying creatures. They now have more open space to fly through. In addition, you're more likely to have more of them. 

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 12:59:59 pm »

Now that i think about it, doens't a pocket world have a higher FPS rate anyway?

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:25:53 pm »

I don't think it's a huge issue for fliers. It might even be less of an issue; they're presumably pathing as the crow flies, not as the wolf runs. Less obstacles, and such.

As for pocket worlds, I really can't say. I imagine it's because of the smaller world population?

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 02:42:00 pm »

I know pocket worlds save extremely quickly, but I've never noticed any FPS differences.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 03:54:59 pm »

Now make a staircase of crystal glass from the lowest z-level to the highest. You can have it go somewhere on the top if you want, but I suggest just leaving it. And then, designate the bottom of it as a bedroom, preferably assigned to a female dorf with a preference for gold. That way, once the economy kicks in, you'll have a lady whose sure all that glitters is gold, and she'll be buying a Stairway to Heaven.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 04:17:58 pm »

From what I've noticed from my normal 6x6 maps is that Z-Levels really affect Frame Rate. When I browsing levels to play on, I had one that was filled with everything and a max height mountain that went to 1 z level above ocean.

Most sheer cliff you could ever get... However it was bad... between the water and all the Zlevels, it'd be unplayable at a 50+ fort size. The nice thing was all of the monsters that showed up.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 06:23:59 pm »

Large maps will only effect frame rate if your dwarves end up having to check the entire map to find a path.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 09:02:39 pm »

I've had plenty of tall maps with goodies, but they were all heavily customized worlds. The one I like the most is a 77 z-level (aboveground) map made by the default world generator. It's on a terrifying mountain with a brook, flux, sand, HFS and a volcano within a 5x4 area. It had shrubs but no trees. I've generated literally dozens of default worlds looking for spoiled tall maps and this is the best I've been able to get.

bob_smith

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 12:41:48 am »

Taller areas should take longer to pathfind considering that they have a greater volume. Being able to build to pretty much anywhere can really take its toll on larger maps.
Pages: [1] 2