Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Insane Difficulty  (Read 8030 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Insane Difficulty
« on: April 05, 2009, 03:57:47 pm »

I'm thinking of getting my feet wet in DF again, but as much as DF is toted around as a rogue-like, it certainly isn't difficult enough for my tastes.

Now, self-imposed challenges are nice, but I would much prefer if the challenge came to me, and not the other way around.

So I'm asking, since I have mostly forgotten my knowledge of modding, which mish-mash of mods can I throw together to make DF unreasonably hard?

Now, by unreasonable, I mean, if there is a single creature, living or dead, that can't bring ruination to my fortress, then it ISN'T hard enough.

I was looking, is it possible to make every single creature, upon death, explode into a pool of lava? I'm wondering this.

Is it possible to make 4-5 Orc like civs, that fly, breath fire, breed like rabbits, and are size 100 or so? I think so, and I will do it.

Can anyone help me in my desire for a masochistic level of difficulty?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Insane Difficulty
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 04:13:05 pm »

While I wish you luck if you want to give the game a 'rogue-like' challenge level, I frankly would advise against giving everything fire-breath/flying/et cetera. Maybe give one to each civ, and just pump up their stats so they're incredibly hard to kill. Maybe give a bunch of them trap-avoid and such, too.

But if I were going to make the game insanely difficult for myself, I'd still try to preserve the individuality of different creatures. Because once you make everything exactly alike, the game starts being repetitive rather than fun.

Also, keep in mind that fun in roguelikes rarely - sometimes, but rarely - comes from YASD. The fun in roguelikes (for me, at least) comes from that 1/1000 time that you're actually ABLE to do something really awesome, like get a character on the winner ladder.  ;D

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:49:54 pm »

give your dwarfs a negative damblock like -5, add to goblins and elves trap avoid, and you will be limited to lever traps, sealing your fort of, or hardmode axe-to-goblin-face combat
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:55:39 pm »

If it were only that easy Rhenaya, but that is only reasonable, and I'm looking for UNreasonable.

If you can reason around it, then it just plain won't do.

Looks like I'm gonna have to touch up on my modding abilities.

Can someone tell me how to make things explode into a tidal wave of lava when they die?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 04:57:58 pm »

Make it so dwarves cant use crossbows, and then make bows for everyone else do super damage,.

And make a Bronze Collosus Civ.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 05:00:07 pm »

Even though I want to make things difficult, I'm a card carrying member of the "don't change the dwarves" camp. Reason being: If you change dwarves, they cease being dwarves, and the game is fundamentally altered for the worse because of it. PLUS changing dwarves starts to tread into the "self-imposed challenge" side of things.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 05:02:42 pm »

Make all your buildings out of wood, in a scarcly tree populated map. IMO I'm tired of deserts and glaciers so I would go with a savana; adding in super lions and chetahs as a plus.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 05:05:46 pm »

Okay.

Now...lets see...

Well, like I said, you could make a Adamantine Collosus Civ.
Basically Bronze Collosus with bonus damage, size, Damblock, etc.
Or a flier civ? Make elves evil. They really dont bring much anyway.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 05:46:30 pm »

While you can't have creatures explode into lava, you CAN have them explode into clouds of freezing death upon defeat.

First, put this in the mineral stone raws.

Code: [Select]
[MATGLOSS_STONE:HIDDEN_FUN_STONE]
[NAME:death][COLOR:5:7:1][TILE:'H']
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[VALUE:1500]
[MELTING_POINT:0]
[BOILING_POINT:1]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1]

I didn't have it spawn normally because my caravans kept exploding and it was starting to get annoying, but you can go ahead and put it somewhere if you want.

Secondly, put this at the end of as many creatures as you like:

[ITEMCORPSE:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:HIDDEN_FUN_STONE]
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 05:48:52 pm »

MMMMmmmhh... You're my new best friend Untelligent. Can I add the tag multiple times for a multiplied effect?

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 06:16:26 pm »

MMMMmmmhh... You're my new best friend Untelligent. Can I add the tag multiple times for a multiplied effect?

unfortunately no, a creature can only have one itemcorpse.

Also: mod in an entity for each of the demons types. Remove CAN_SPEAK and set the progress triggers to 1, and make them active in each of the 4 seasons. By the first winter you'll have HFS swarming your 7 dwarves! If I wanted to make the game harder, I would also do things like embark on a difficult spot (no magma glaciers are very difficult, try it sometime) and fiddle slightly with the raws where the game is obviously broken (reduce bolt/arrow damage, make farming considerably harder).

I think you are slightly missing the point with DF though- it really is all about self-imposed challenges.

And finally: Kobold Camp. Find it and try it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 06:44:17 pm »

What tag do I have to add to things to make animals mindlessly aggressive?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 07:07:56 pm »

[LARGE_PREDATOR], I think, or something along the lines of that.

Oh, and release the version of the mod for our testing.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 07:13:31 pm »

I'd add LARGE_PREDATOR, but the description says that it limits the number that are allowed to spawn. I'll try NO_FEAR first.

Let's see what happens if I give all vermin IMMOLATE and FIREIMMUNE.

I've downloaded Rysith's Orcs, modded them to make them more aggressive, and threw them into the mix.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 07:28:26 pm »

Ill repost so I can update

Creature
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Entity
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mount