Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nodal pathfinding  (Read 1237 times)

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nodal pathfinding
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 12:16:51 pm »

A bit part of your problem is likely that your corridors aren't large enough.  -every- corodor in my fortress is at least 3 wide, and every area that has multiple dwarves going in and out of it has several entrances right next to each other so they don't have to walk around the fort because someone else walks through the door.

Also make sure your stairwells are large enough.  I start out building 3x1 stair wells, but have recently started doing 3x3 stairwells for semitry.  Once my fortress really gets going some of my high traffic areas get expanded to 4-5 tiles wide, and some have walls to stockrooms taken down completely to prevent pathfinding problems.

Try expanding your corridors and see if that doesn't both increase your framrate and decrease the number of dwarves going the long way around (I've never had this problem, though I've heard about it from the start which is why I build how I do.)
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 [2]