Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nights Dawn Trilogy  (Read 861 times)

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nights Dawn Trilogy
« on: April 05, 2009, 01:00:39 pm »

Okay, I just finished reading the Nights Dawn Trilogy, by Peter F Hamilton.  Upon finishing the series (comprised of "The Reality Dysfunction", "The Neutronium Alchemist", and "The Naked God") my thoughts were as follows:

EPIC!
*gibbering in awe*

After I calmed down a bit, I decided to recommend the books here, so here's a quick overview:

Definitely space opera (though there are a number of "spiritual" elements here and there), the action takes place in a "Confederation" of some 800 human owned planets, comprised of two primary factions, the Adamists and the Edenists, with a few alien races thrown in to spice things up.  The Edenists represent the pinnacle of biological and genetic engineering (bitek, in the books), living in organic, sentient habitats that feed on magnetic fluxes around gas giants.  All their tech is organically based, and they spliced an 'affinity gene' into themselves, giving themselves short ranged telepathy.

The Adamists long ago rejected bitek for religious reasons, and are more or less the standard extension of modern society, with neural implants and a few enhanced, cyborgish traits.

To describe the primary antagonist faction is a bit spoilery, so I've put it in the spoilers below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The action takes place on a massive scale, with dozens of characters, locations and themes, in a world that is fantastically detailed, and, what really got me, amazingly internally consistent.  Each new development is often an amazing plot twist, but Hamilton manages to ensure that everything still follows logically from previously described events and details, and makes sure everything just makes sense in the environment he's described.

Anyway, I loved it, and thought some of you here might enjoy (or already have enjoyed) reading it.  Discuss!
Fefeshnelmargalip

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nights Dawn Trilogy
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:03:04 am »

Sounds interesting. I've been looking for something to read. Maybe I'll grab the first one next time I'm at the book store... "The Reality Dysfunction" is the first, right?

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nights Dawn Trilogy
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 06:31:21 am »

Correct, followed by "The Neutronium Alchemist", and "The Naked God."
Fefeshnelmargalip