Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: A new world...  (Read 8462 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: A new world...
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2009, 09:09:18 pm »

Ironically, a bit of complaint about inanity is warranted on that, because there used to be a thread devoted to talking about anime.  "I like anime, do you like anime?"  Why did it die?  You had it all to yourselves.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2009, 09:13:28 pm »

Stop comparing people to animals Umiman.
Doesn't stop it from being true though. And as Jackrabbit pointed out, many of our forum members enjoy pretending to be animals. Some also like to pretend to be dead.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2009, 09:17:00 pm »

Ironically, a bit of complaint about inanity is warranted on that, because there used to be a thread devoted to talking about anime.  "I like anime, do you like anime?"  Why did it die?  You had it all to yourselves.
Ah, but it wasn't about dirty anime conversation.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2009, 09:18:19 pm »

Stop comparing people to animals Umiman.
Doesn't stop it from being true though. And as Jackrabbit pointed out, many of our forum members enjoy pretending to be animals. Some also like to pretend to be dead.
Please clarify, oh great omnipresent spacecannon.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2009, 09:53:39 pm »

I don't think I've been active in any spamming - I try to be helpful to newbies (I've been here only just over a year, so some of you may consider my use of the word amusing...) and I tend to notice other people do the same. There have been exactly two times I saw somebody blast a newcomer because they posted in the Suggestions board, and most of the community took offense to that (the blasting, that is).

I don't frequent Various Nonsense, although I have recently started looking in now and again, and I can't say I've been egregiously distracted from serious (or even "serious") discussion by spam. Sure, everybody remembers BEEES but so what? That was one thread and a few humorous (or at least tolerable) references down the road. Aquizzar is Forum Baron? I didn't even know.

So basically, yeah. Various Nonsense has become more like its name. But there are now ENTIRELY SEPARATE subfora for roleplaying and community forts. So all of the actually interesting stuff has been divorced from it anyway. Don't like it? Don't go there.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2009, 02:24:58 am »

I guess I should cover my ass by saying that I certainly didn't declare myself Baron of the Forum, it was some kind of popularity contest.  I'm still not sure why I won.

I don't do anything with that supposed authority except make the occassional joke, and shut down Sniper Joe's anime excesses.  Even then, I don't really care.

I don't participate in any of the Roleplaying threads.  I actively avoid them, and ignore them when they crop up.  Likewise, I have nothing to do with anime, and I tried (unsuccessfully) to derail the blood fetish thread into something harmless.

For whatever I have to say about how no one has any right to rule what is or isn't acceptable behavior (besides Toady's authority as proprietor obviously, and his only rules are nothing illegal or overtly abusive), I am certainly not King Big Shit of Turd Mountain.  I make no presumption that is any such thing as acceptable behavior.

But Kagus, yes you are trying to say what is or isn't allowable.  Not by directly stating as such, but by parading in, as if we should've been expecting your grace, and trying to chastise and guilt everyone into acting like your imaginary recollection of the board.

Times change, and people change, including the people who hang around here.  Lest I speak for too many people, Sean Mirrsen, Cthulhu, and Tormy have considerably more right to "old guard" status than you do, and none of them seem to mind the cultural drift.  You've appointed yourself representative of some class of elder statesmen, looking down on people entertaining themselves in ways you consider demeaning.  I'd say this is true, in that it appears this "old guard" you think you represent consists entirely of yourself.

You had no problem ignoring the subforum for a month before, why the sudden urge to speak up about it now?  Why come back just to tell us you want to move on to greener pastures, except as some vain attempt to make everyone stop whatever they were doing so as to hold onto your presence?  Do wherever you like, enjoy yourself in whatever way you want when you get there, or here if you prefer.  But if you're going to keep making a big show about supposedly ignoring us, then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Why can't I write like that? You just summarized everything I was trying to say and other things I didn't but should have. I can't do that, most of my discussion posts fail. Ah well.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2009, 02:51:19 am »

We need it so people can unwind and have fun in an environment where no-one will call them out on creating there own goverments and stupid things like that.

Bluntly (but I hope not impolitely) that's a terrible idea.

Perhaps I should explain my position: Various Nonsense was once where the general discussion-type stuff went. As mentioned before, people actually had intelligent discussions in it. Now we have the "General Discussion," "Life Advice," "Creative Projects," and "Forum Games and Roleplaying," which all perfectly cover the original intent of Various Nonsense. The purpose of Various Nonsense was to provide a place for those things way back when there wasn't enough of a user base to warrant having separate boards, and now we have the userbase and the separate boards.
Now that Various Nonsense has no serious purpose, it has turned into a spawning ground for nonsense. If Various Nonsense was locked or deleted, probably on a trial basis, it would at least force people to think before they posted. Seriously, the name "Various Nonsense" is a little too welcoming and inviting. "General Discussion" at least implies semi-seriousness.

I don't think this is necessarily the best course of action, but I would like to open a dialogue about the possibility of letting the board go. It has fulfilled its purpose, and I see little reason for it to stick around other than as a place for spam and idiocy, which probably isn't something we want to encourage, is it?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2009, 02:55:27 am »

Actually, that's pretty fair.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2009, 03:10:36 am »

It's a bad idea. If VN goes down, people won't just magically stop being silly. The seriousness of discussion on boards like this one will take a sharp downturn.

Besides, is Various Nonsense really actually hurting anyone? Does it's presence down there, at the bottom of the list, somehow make anyone uncomfortable?

Aside from the old posters who hate how VN has changed and want to whine about it, it doesn't seem to be causing many people any grief.

If we get rid of Various Nonsense, we will hurt the seriousness of the Finally... section as a whole.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2009, 03:11:44 am »

I refuse to take part in this discussion, whether or not anyone actually wanted in it, because both sides have good arguments and I'm not use to that on the internet.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2009, 03:31:28 am »

I'd actually like to see some light-hearted discussion creep into the rest of the Finally... section, but I know what you mean. If we get rid of VN, the insanity is liable to spread elsewhere. However, you have to admit that the concept behind Various Nonsense as a "leftover" board and the use of the term, "nonsense" does kind of contribute to the issue.

Perhaps I'm getting too worked up over this. I'd just like to see the forums cleaned up a bit, is all. I'm fully in support of the remove of the Slaves to Armok: God of Blood forum, while I'm at it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2009, 03:35:34 am »

How do you justify that?

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2009, 03:49:07 am »

Hello? Some people still play Armok.
Well, not me. But NOSTALGIA is a damn good thing, you know?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2009, 04:05:03 am »

Not always. Also, now I see what you mean tahin.

liadis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2009, 06:57:56 am »

Ahem, this is sort of me jumping the gun, because I haven't exactly read the entire post in detail, nor am I familiar with the situation - I stopped playing due to school and other factors about 2 or 3 years ago, I think - I only remember the transition to 3D and a bit after that. (... What's a Z-level?)

Mm. I don't mind the new people and environment, I guess that's what I am trying to say. While influence from otherworld does make the new dwarves babble random memes, it's just personal preferences and how they choose to act on internet. We can all act like we are bunch of idiots, but when we want to have dwarf-like discussion, we discuss things like a dwarf - Not the kind that wants turtle shell and whines and eventually go on homicide rampage, but the kind that... Erm, perhaps that's a bad example.

Well, I guess I -am- somewhat at loss as to how the general discussion becomes like this. But I understand everyone to actually be rational, sound in mind, and is just being stupid for the sake of being stupid. Having a place for the purpose of venting stupidity is like having 4chan on internet. It's not going to spill over to rest of the board - we are all intelligent enough to play Dwarf Fortress (Right? ... Right?) and all have the guts to stand rampaging hoards of elephants trampling over them dorfs and sending flying bits everywhere, so I don't see a problem.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6