Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: A new world...  (Read 8472 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
A new world...
« on: April 05, 2009, 07:43:05 am »

So, since I had nothing else to do, I decided to hop on over to the Various Nonsense section to see how things had changed since before the split.

I was horrified by what I saw. 

Sorry to say it, but I don't think this place is going to magically spring back after the next update.  It's turned into something else, and it doesn't look like it's turning back on its own.  It's just a matter of time before the dam breaks and the "Various Nonsense" subsection becomes redundant due to overflow into the rest of the forum.

I'd really rather not be here when that happens.

So I ask, is there anyone else still out there who thinks about the "good old days"?  Any of the grumpy old bastards who have stopped posting as much as they used to, simply because they didn't want to touch the threads that were popping up?  If there are, and if they're reading this, I ask a question of them:

Have you ever thought about creating a new forum, and simply leaving this place to those who want it the way it is?  Going somewhere else, that would not be bound by the (truly honorable) standards of acceptance that Tarn Adams practices, allowing us to define exactly who and/or what was allowed in a wholly totalitarian fashion?

I know that it has been a recurring topic in my own mind.  Let them have their twisted interpretation of Various Nonsense.  Let them have their memes and their spam and whatever other horrors they come up with.  I want something else.  Why not make it?

Is there anyone else out there who has thought about this?

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A new world...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 07:50:00 am »

Actually, I for one think that it will be back to the status quo after the next release is released.
Because then no one is bored anymore, and all will play DF.

Really, my only reason to post in VN is because I'm bored.
That's all.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 08:52:16 am »

I have.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:58:02 am »

What that thing said.

I don't even play DF anymore. Do you? Well, maybe sometimes. Sometimes.....

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:03:22 am »

Yeah, sometimes.

I only play LL and... Civilization Forge. Cause the 2 mods make the games 'hard'.

Hah. We're waiting for the awesomeness that is THE MILITARY ARC!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 10:42:37 am »

So, since I had nothing else to do, I decided to hop on over to the Various Nonsense section to see how things had changed since before the split.

I was horrified by what I saw. 

Sorry to say it, but I don't think this place is going to magically spring back after the next update.  It's turned into something else, and it doesn't look like it's turning back on its own.  It's just a matter of time before the dam breaks and the "Various Nonsense" subsection becomes redundant due to overflow into the rest of the forum.

I'd really rather not be here when that happens.

So I ask, is there anyone else still out there who thinks about the "good old days"?  Any of the grumpy old bastards who have stopped posting as much as they used to, simply because they didn't want to touch the threads that were popping up?  If there are, and if they're reading this, I ask a question of them:

Have you ever thought about creating a new forum, and simply leaving this place to those who want it the way it is?  Going somewhere else, that would not be bound by the (truly honorable) standards of acceptance that Tarn Adams practices, allowing us to define exactly who and/or what was allowed in a wholly totalitarian fashion?

I know that it has been a recurring topic in my own mind.  Let them have their twisted interpretation of Various Nonsense.  Let them have their memes and their spam and whatever other horrors they come up with.  I want something else.  Why not make it?

Is there anyone else out there who has thought about this?

Yeah, the forum has changed indeed. The game is getting more and more popular, I guess this is why we have more and more spammers...but again, they are usually active in the VN subforum, so it's not a big problem at the moment....but yeah, sadly lot of "serious" posts are getting derailed nowadays, even Toady's sticked dev. topics. So I know what you meant on: "It's just a matter of time before the dam breaks and the "Various Nonsense" subsection becomes redundant due to overflow into the rest of the forum."
Let's hope that this won't happen, because this is my favourite forum. Perhaps later on Toady will have to "nominate" some moderators, we shall see.
Creating a new forum for the oldies/more serious people is not the best idea imo, at least not now.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:13:46 am »

Some things never change.

Yes, I remember a past where people were complaining about spam and silliness. I remember the "good old days" when people were talking about the "good old days" before it  :D

There is still constructive conversation going on throughout the forum. The end is not nigh. ;)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:40:11 am »

I remember the time before the micronations started popping up. That's when this whole mess started.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 12:36:38 pm »

Oh, Ol' Zerbistan, I remember you fondly!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 01:17:20 pm »

I'm still confused by this "good old days" talk.  I've been around since last May, and the only thing I remember being in Various Nonsense then were threads about beer ads and bicycling.  Namely, that threads could stay on the front page for weeks without a response because there just wasn't anything there.

I'm not worried about idiocy spreading out of VN.  WorkerDrone, Sniper Joe, and 612DwarfAve already tried that, and we made them go sit in the corner.  So it stopped.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 01:40:01 pm »

I'm arguably responsible for a portion of the stuff some of you are complaining about. I just had to say that.

Anyway, I agree with Wiles. Before this happened, people were already whining about the good old days. The only thing that's changed is the volume of inane babble. Even then, it's likely to subside once the new version is released.

I remember when I was but a mere nublet, an Escaped Lunatic. I remember being shocked when I heard Dark say that he didn't even play DF any more. This has been going on for a while, now. One by one, players stop playing and post more. Once the new version is out, traffic in the Finally... section will slow to a crawl.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 02:48:47 pm »

While I agree that some amount of the nonsense is getting out of hand, we should not revert to the dangerous mindset that is 'The good 'ol days.' Gaia had that problem in a few of their forums, and... Well, that is a big part of why Gaia is Gaia.

So yes, as long as we don't play along with memes too much, keep our nonsense in that forum and try to keep on topic in the other forums, we will be alright.

Also expect massive increases in the other forums as we talk about we made new creatures of untold misery and pain.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 04:28:17 pm »

Going somewhere else, that would not be bound by the (truly honorable) standards of acceptance that Tarn Adams practices, allowing us to define exactly who and/or what was allowed in a wholly totalitarian fashion?

The forum would only be WAAAAAAAAY too out of hand when whoever is 'in charge' (such as inaluct is here) decides to start banning people for posting the wrong nonsense. As long as ACTUAL power resides in nobody's hands, we are good.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 04:31:17 pm »

Don't worry about me, I'm fine with leaving the VN stuff in the VN box. Though I do admit I slip every now and then.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 06:10:59 pm »

Wait, I'm in charge?
<_<
>_>
I mean, uh, don't make me ban you!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6