Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: A new world...  (Read 8458 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: A new world...
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 10:20:06 pm »

Hey, I know pretty much most people here.

Same goes for me.
Me as well.

Well sort of.

A little.

But yes, I do tend to keep on topic on the main forums.  I do go a little ADHD now and then, but I have ADHD, and normally I've already said something contributing to the main topic, so it's normally reasonable.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 10:23:53 pm »

I've only heard vague mentions of gaia and it scares me.

What is gaia anyway?
I'll admit, it is not as bad as other forums when it comes to faggotry(No offense to gay people with this remark, but their own definitions describe them best), but it is up there.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 12:23:47 am »

So it's a bad forum, but how?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 12:27:43 am »

The Chatterbox is full of spamming idiots.
 The General Discussion is full of trolls.
 The Extended Discussion is full of elitists.
 The forums for art and sports are full of both elitists and idiots.
 All the people worthwhile are in the guilds, set to private.
 The developers are lazy.
 The artists are getting too trendy.

I could continue, but I won't derail this thread anymore.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 12:38:50 am »

Righto, not going there.

Anyway, I feel this is a non-issue. No-one in VN would be stupid or mean spirited enough to spam other parts of the forum. And Toady can deal with people who do.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 12:42:27 am »

Anyway, I feel this is a non-issue. No-one in VN would be stupid or mean spirited enough to spam other parts of the forum. And Toady can deal with people who do.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure all the VN stuff is going in the toilet if something like the annexation topic happens again.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 01:10:22 am »

Why don't we just get Toady to lock the Various Nonsense forum and see if the spam goes away with it? We don't exactly need it now that we have our other "finally" boards, do we?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 01:14:01 am »

We need it so people can unwind and have fun in an environment where no-one will call them out on creating there own goverments and stupid things like that.

Bluntly (but I hope not impolitely) that's a terrible idea.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 03:47:36 am »

Well, at least they'll hang out in here.
And play DF when the next ver. is out.

And donate, maybe.

That's what Toady's objectives are, I think.
Still, it could be just that Toady likes to read the nonsense in VN. :P

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 04:02:44 am »

I'm not worried about idiocy spreading out of VN.  WorkerDrone, Sniper Joe, and 612DwarfAve already tried that, and we made them go sit in the corner.  So it stopped.

WAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaAAAit.

When did I ever take any of my nonsense out of the Nonsense bin? In Community Games, my posts are short, and commentary. 

In Adventure Mode and sometimes in DF mode (which I'll admit, I don't frequent much at all.) its on topic, or a reply to something on topic.

Quite frankly, if its outside of VN, or sometimes in Forum Games and RTD, I won't post it if its just stupid and off topic.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2009, 04:05:53 am »

Come to think of it, it probably wasn't you.

IWM maybe, or Okenido, or Jackrabbit, or somebody.  You all kinda blend together.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 05:21:55 am »

Hey!

Actually, looking back, I didn't really do much.

If anyone has any problems with me feel free to put them forward and I'll try and fix them

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 05:52:22 am »

Okay, lemme recount my memories from way back when.  I of course can't claim total accuracy, as we like to remember only the best parts of things we no longer have.

As stated, there weren't that many of us who were active.  We did indeed consider ourselves "better" than the inhabitants of several (most) other online boards (to avoid the forums/fora discussion).  However, when someone new popped up to ask a question or simply to introduce themselves, we raced to provide as informative, detailed and welcoming a post as possible.  It was almost a sort of competition, see who can welcome the new guy first.  I think some of us may have been so open and welcoming just to prove how much better we were than the others...

But we also tended to think that the game itself would filter out the undesirables.  We assumed that the complexity, difficulty and niche style of Dwarf Fortress would weed out everyone but other people like us (ha, "like us"...  We were still an incredibly varied group), so we could be equally friendly to everyone popping in and the ones we didn't like would simply leave of their own accord.

This didn't always work, but it was a nice theory.

In regards to the forum subsections, we tended to (again, I cannot say this is a fully accurate recollection.  It is only the way I remember it) treat questions the same way we did newcomers.  First one to provide the most detailed and helpful post wins.  These posts were supplemented by, not replaced with, wiki links (this was quite possibly due to the rather poor quality of the wiki back then.  And that's not to say we didn't get a bit too link-happy from time to time...).

Various Nonsense (oh how I remember that color scheme...) was filled either with long-winded discussions or roleplaying threads (I think a fine example would probably be Zustashïger, a continuing story where each successive poster would write the next portion).  We abhorred memes and spam, regarding them as qualities of "lesser" boards and the surrounding presence of the Internet, which we considered ourselves relatively isolated from.  The closest thing would probably be the "9:00" thread, which was a temporal anomaly created by buggy forum software.  People would post in there simply to see where their post ended up.

As for the discussions, we could fill numerous pages with wholly related and sometimes even sourced arguments.  We did get a little bit hostile from time to time (as can only be expected when talking directly about politics, religion and music), we were generally pretty good about nipping it in the bud, agreeing to disagree, and then performing the Internet equivalent of a group hug.

I had personally disagreed violently with quite a few people I still regarded as intelligent, and there was no animosity in our posts thereafter.  I think it was this ability that made me think so highly of our group.

People would practically be flogged for using the pseudo-word "lulz" (heck, even just "lol").  There was no reason for posting stuff like that.  Not to say we didn't have fun, relax or goof off.  We just did so in our own way. 

Poor grammar and/or spelling was generally not attacked, because the only people exhibiting it were simply not very comfortable with English.  Most people actually gave enough of a damn to put some effort into making their posts as clean and easy-to-read as possible.

Sure, we had our "village idiots".  But it was generally only one or two of them at a time, and they weren't often encouraged.

And Aqizzar, this has been going on for a very, very long time.  Of course you didn't see any of the "good old days", because you weren't here yet.  The "old guard" has been sitting quietly and waiting for the bad people to go away.  We're still hoping that the board will simply "snap out of it" and return to normal.

Well, I've stopped regarding the current situation as a "phase".  I honestly don't think things are going to return to the way they were.  This forum is changing into something else.  I'm not saying it'll be objectively better or worse than what it used to be, I'm just saying I won't want anything to do with it.  Personal preference.

A preference that I think is still shared by a few of the people here.

I still think it's funny that each time I mention stuff like this, numerous examples of what I'm preaching against come and agree with me to some extent.

Yes, that was a blatantly hostile comment.  But you know what?  I'm tired.  I'm really, really tired.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 06:38:55 am »

a) most of the place is still like that, save the long winded discussions and roleplay threads are in specific places and VN is somewhere where people can just be stupid and not worry about the consequences.

b) Either move on or accept that nothing stays the same and move with the times. This place is still great and whining about how it has "changed" won't (ironically) change anything. Just enjoy being in one of the best forums on the internet, whether or not you think it may have been "better" a few years ago. Don't be so elitist, however welcoming you may have been.

To quote yahtzee (and this is just a supplemental and you don't really have to consider this or even agree/disagree with me/him) "nostalgia is like a mouthful of cocaine balls in that it makes you say stupid things"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 06:41:06 am by Jackrabbit »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 07:12:57 am »

Why should I enjoy being in a place I don't enjoy?  You consider it to be one of the best forums because it suits your tastes, which apparently includes the staggering amount of utter randomness and, well, nonsense in the VN forum.  I don't like that.  What I liked was the forum that didn't have any of that.

"Various Nonsense" didn't have anything to do with nonsense before!  It just held the uncategorized threads that didn't fit in anywhere else!  We didn't have blood fetish threads, we didn't have spam threads, we didn't even have penguins!  We didn't *want* any of that (well, with a couple notable penguin exceptions).

I haven't seen a grounded, detailed and (relatively) peaceful discussion like before since...  Well, I can't remember.  I think there was one a while ago, but I'm not sure what happened to that.

And how can you say the boards are still like what they were?  You weren't even here for when we stopped fighting the change the first time.  And that was long after the "golden era".

I don't quite understand how people can still say it's so different from everywhere else, since to me it's looking more and more like the boards I tried to get away from way back in the beginning.  I see the same idiocy, the same pointless randomness, the same memes, the same, tired shit that I tried to leave behind.

I'm not going to ask you to change.  I know that doesn't work, and that it will only lead to conflict and animosity.  All I'm doing is looking for the other people who are also looking for something else. 

Asking you to leave or change your ways would be pointless and incredibly rude.  I'm just informing you that this place is no longer quite to my liking, and that I would rather go somewhere else.  You don't have to do anything about it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6